Find
Notify
Tools

The Graveyard Book
 Login/Join

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Ooh - I looked at it and sweated a little about the price - and decided that the kids and new school uniforms and music lessons etc come first (and I already got my birthday present - the Interworld signed hardback thingy!) So, never mind. I can wait (not!).

There was an email someone sent me about a snake this size which was after some sheep - it was caught on an electric fence - scary!

Great pic though!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley Hippie:
Oh and did you know you can try to win a copy at Subterranean Press with your own epitaph? (maybe I should keep quiet - there are far too many witty dudes in here to compete with)

I looked at that, too, but I decided that I'd never come up with anything witty enough to stand out. I'll just have to wait. Razz

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batmanuel
posted Hide Post
ooo i hadnt heard a new book was coming out. i willl look forward to this. my current fav is still american gods.

I spit on your 47 vegetables.

Posts: 903 | Location: computing in a offshoot of the neverending story | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lokimera
posted Hide Post
Hello all. Haven´t been browsing this forum for a long time. After "Fragile Things" knew the next book wouldn't be for me. Now eagerly awaiting this Graveyard Book. "To buy" list for sure. As any Gaiman novel.

Regards

Posts: 3 | Location: Portugal | Registered: July 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, does that mean it won't be suitable for a ten year old?

Having just finished it, I can say it truly depends on the 10-year old. My 10-year old would be rather terrified by it. She has a very vivid imagination though & would really internalize it. That said however, I think she has some friends who would be very capable of saying, "this is fiction- this will not happen to me." But my daughter doesn't do scary & certainly there are some truly frightening moments in this book. I would say that if you have any questions, read it yourself first (it's a fantastic book) & then see what you think for your own child.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of urdarbrunnr
posted Hide Post
I cannot wait for this book!
But I'm a bit confused...I was searching for Gaiman stuff on Amazon & found what appears to be 2 versions of the Graveyard Book, one illustrated by Dave McKean & one by
Chris Riddell. The McKean one is rather expensive! Anyone know why this might be?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graveyard-Book-Neil-Gaiman/dp/1...d=1216254100&sr=1-90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graveyard-Book-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0...d=1216254100&sr=1-90

The lessons which are remembered the longest are always the ones that are self-taught.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I think (although I'm most likely wrong, so keep that in mind) that one version is an "adult" version and the other is a "children's" version.

I vaguely remember Neil saying something about two different covers or version in his journal a while back, so you may want to trawl that for more info.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
Maeve is correct! shocking. Razz

the Riddell version is for kids; the McKean one's for adults. although I rather doubt Mr. Neil will be insulted if you turn that on its head for whatever reason.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Reading now. Yummy.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilith42
posted Hide Post
I've got mine on order but now I am not sure if it's the adult or the kid's version. Will check with Barnes and noble. When it comes to his books I just can't get enough!

Posts: 639 | Registered: July 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilith42
posted Hide Post
evidently the kids version is not available to order in the u.s. So I am getting the adult version. But may order kids version from uk along with Odd and the Frost Giant.

Posts: 639 | Registered: July 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dual releases - the great financial drain!

If they're really smart, they'll issue a slipcase that fits both editions side by side.

Posts: 28 | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered the deluxe slip case version from Amazon.co.uk.
the Gaveyard Book (special edition).

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for it to come out i didn't know until now that Neil Gaiman was coming out with a new novel and i just finished Anasi boys and Coraline, so i can't wait to read this new one. It sounds like an amazing story. My personal favorite is stardust though and i hope it is as great as that.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Got to wait over another month for mine. Hallowe'en can't come quick enough!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KidNovelist
posted Hide Post
I'm going to get my copy at Columbia University Big Grin Presigned! I'm going to hug it!

Posts: 3 | Registered: July 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolvsbakken:
Hello,
I just wanted to say that "The Graveyard Book" is fantastic. It's a return to the type of subtlety, cleverness and unpredictability that marked the 'Sandman' series and standout works like '1602' and 'Stardust'. This is Mr. Gaiman's territory. A flawless work that begs many sequels.
Here's hoping it's nothing like 1602 (but that's a discussion for another thread, one I'm sure we've already had). I'm all for subtlety, cleverness, and unpredictability, especially from Neil, so I'll be finding this at my local dealer when the time (and pocketbook) is right. Now to see if I can get to a signing! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
by the time Mr. Neil's reading was finished Saturday, the copies of The Graveyard Book were sold out! it was nuts. I wish I'd thought to get mine before the reading. Frown

tomorrow, though.

~ fLame Woosh ~

posted Hide Post
My copy shipped out a couple of days ago. I shouldn't-ve cheaped out and payed for the next-day shipping. Now I must wait till tomorrow or monday to recieve it! Eek

Posts: 5 | Location: Fontana, California USA | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a copy this afternoon, sat out on my balcony with a cup of coffee, and finished it about an hour (the book, not the coffee. In fact, I never even touched my cup.) Then I re-read it. Twice. I was so engrossed that:

1) I didn't get to taste my coffee at all and had to toss an ice cold cup down the drain

2) I didn't realize that it had gotten dark outside, and I was reading with my book held up to the light coming out of my living room, and

3) My toes were frozen from the cold (and because I was spooked by the book)

I haven't been this thrilled since American Gods. I'd always thought that if I were to be sent to a deserted island with only one book, I'd bring American Gods with me. Now, I might have to get on my knees to beg to bring [1]The Graveyard Book[/I] too.

The book is utterly brilliant. Spooky, funny, touching, simple-yet-so-profound all at the same time. I'm still floating - reader's high, I guess.

Thanks, Mr. Gaiman, for writing such a gorgeous book. I hope you write more stories of Bod's adventures - I haven't been so invested in a book character since Shadow.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post