Find
Notify
Tools

The Graveyard Book
 Login/Join

has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
Mr. Neil said Neil Jordan will be writing and directing a film version of The Graveyard Book....

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:
I just hope the accents of the actors they get match his nice ones- I can't imagine Scarlett without her brogue,

Brogue (singular?), why does she only have one shoe?
I only hope that it is better realised than Johnny and the Dead, but given it will be a movie budget and not British telly it should look OK.

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Would it be terribly rude of me to point out that the Newbery Award is misspelled on the forum header? It's niggling at me every time I see it. Frown

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
fixed Smile

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
aaaaaand it's back! Weird!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
HAHAH!!! I'm so not a children's librarian Razz

It should be fixed now.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
Neil will be talking about The Graveyard Book on the Colbert Report on Monday!
Big Grin *happybounce*
Spread the news, people!

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This book was just great! Ii was so addicted! Neil has an amazing talent for dark humor and an uncanny ability to make things that should be a bit morbid quite enjoyable and unique...which I LOVE!!! I too, was sad when the book ended, as I have been with all Gaiman's other works as well. I am a little late starting on some of the novels, but I am getting ready to start the American Gods audio book...I can't wait. I have also told everyone I know about The Graveyard Book. But I am always a little disappointed when Neil doesn't narrate. He does and amazing job! I just listened to InterWorld and I have to admit, I did miss his reading it quite a bit.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Markc2
posted Hide Post
The sense of loss at the end of the book, a very real sense of growing up and the loss of childhood. No more being able to see in the dark, no more fading, or dreamwalking, and loosing your first "love" and loss of parents all in what seems almost to quick. Your stuck in the real "drab" world now, wiser with the knowledge, but a heavier heart.

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
Maybe late, maybe in the wrong thread (you think I actually pay attention to what's going on around here? :P), here's the hulu.com link for Neil on the Colbert Report.

Neil's one of the few authors that can banter with Colbert without getting overwhelmed by him.

And what's with the suit?

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
There's a thread for the Colbert Report appearance in Thoughts About Neil.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This book IS wonderful, but... Leaving Bod with a blank slate (as far as friends and home are concerned) was a bit on the cruel side. Even worse, the reader was left with nothing except a vague assurance that Bod would be OK. Bod's encounters with the real world have all ended badly. Who's to say he wouldn't be a misfit for the rest of his life? There's no easing into the "real world" for him. He doesn't know most of the things other kids his age would know. If he "is" himself around others, he will be thought "weird" or a "freak".

Sorry, the last chapter was a complete disappointment. Newbery or not, I would not recommend this book to a child (nor an Adult either).

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
So it's a wonderful book that you wouldn't recommend to anyone... Oh. kay. A little wierd, that thought.

Personally I like the idea of life for the living, his movement throughout is an elegantly sustained metaphor - and this is hardly the only story where the hero rides off into the sunset, to an uncertain future.

Which is kind of the point of a coming of age story, unless I've missed my mark. The story told helps equip our hero with the tools that will allow him to make his mark (or not) in the world. We can feel good about his future because he is a good man, not because he has a good family.

And speaking of missing the mark - do you really think it's a good thing that kids should bury their essences deep and conform for fear of labels?

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
A book enjoyed by humans, monkeys and littlestormys

if it's good enough for them ...

Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fhionn
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the book. I enjoyed every chapter, every word, every picture that was created in my head, and those of Mr. McKean.

Posts: 182 | Location: middle of nowhere, man. | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post