Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    beasts myths, legends & "facts"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

beasts myths, legends & "facts"
 Login/Join

Picture of Regis
posted
Hi All,

I am new here, cause I would like to know more about beasts, legends and myths about vampires, werevolves, ghouls etc.

do anyone know how to help me, where can i find Myths, Legends & "Facts", (vampires can not be visible in mirror, afraid of silver - who decided or give us those facts? where is written that ghouls eat dead corpses?)

do we have any Beast Diary? or I just should read lot of fantasy books?

thanks!

Regis, the vampire:-)

Emiel Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy

Redeemed Vampire

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
First thing that pops into my mind is... Library? I know that sounds snarky and I don't mean to be, not entirely anyway. Smile

There are so many legends and people have twisted them to fit new stories, so the legends change.

Someone else will likely be along with a better response - mostly I'm just saying, Welcome to the Board!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25177 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
I second Maeve's suggestion about the Library. You could even look on Amazon and I'm sure you would find a lot of books on the subject matter of legends and myths, particularly encyclopedias thereof.

Also, I would suggest that when you are looking for beasts, look for anything that has to do with Medieval Bestiaries (or Bestiaries of any culture if you are more particular or general). In the Middle Ages, there were whole compendiums that dealt with mythical creatures and I think even some real ones and their mystical and physical capacities. It's definitely worth a shot at any rate.

Good luck. Smile

Posts: 6034 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
It really is a matter of what you're looking for. There are tons of really good general reference books for mystical creatures. On suggestion: check out the bibliographies for RPGs like Vampire: The Masquerade and the like. The WOTC games are crap for gaming in, IMHO, but they used very good reference material in developing them.

Your local reference librarian will quite possibly be visible thrilled to help you.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48705 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Being a librarian I would have to agree with Maeve. If I was at work I would give you some titles. If your library is on the Dewey system try the 398.2's. Other myths (Like Greek) try the 290's.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2484 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Regis
posted Hide Post
Thank you a lot, to all.

my suggestions was library, but i do not except any bestiary in our slovak libraries.

but i will try.

:-)

Redeemed Vampire

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
That does bring up a good point. Where are you and what sorts of resources do you have available? Do you have any universities or colleges nearby?

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48705 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Regis
posted Hide Post
Yes, we do have colleges and universities.

we have also libraries, college libraries and town library. i will go and see if its possible to get some info about things i would like to know.

fact is, that i will find lot of about our history, christian history, but i am afraid that anglo sas, norwegian and other myths will be too far from my reach.

Redeemed Vampire

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
The university and college libraries around here are usually the best bet when it comes to getting a wider range of resource materials.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
Hello, you're Slovak? I'm Czech, and I thought of reccomending one cool book we have at home: Martin Stejskal's "Labyrintem tajemna aneb průvodce po magických místech Československa", published by Paseka in 1991. It is sort of a mythological tour guide to the then-Czechoslovakia, but it also has an introductory part with a list of magical beings that occur there. That could give you some starting points.

There's also Encyclopedia Mythica at http://www.pantheon.org/ I don't know how much is there about "beasts", but again, it could give you some starting points.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 178 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet to read this book but after reading your post I will surely looking forward to it.

Posts: 1 | Location: Bountiful, UT 84010 | Registered: January 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post