New
Find
Notify
Tools

"nimini"
 Login/Join

Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
P.S. "Dialects" are sort of sub-languages. French is not a dialect. French is a language. German is not a dialect. German is a language. High German is a dialect.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
i do agree with you, and retract, SOME of my previous statement...but, the fact that the original poster was actually talking about an audio version of the book means that it really had nothing to do with the spelling in their post, it was all about the pronunciation (read their posts, they say nothing about the spelling, they talk about the way the word is pronounced when they heard it, although it is true that it is also spelled wrong in the book, this should not really be taken into consideration, when i looked through the book as i mentioned i did, for the word, it was out of curiosity to see if was even spelled that way in the book, but quite moot to the point the original poster is trying to get across)

and also, i at no time said that a dialect and a language were the same thing
"There's also the point of different accents and regional dialects being used even when it is the same language"
to quote myself.
I thought it was clear that i was saying that different languages have different dialects for where you are in the world using that language. An example in the English language would be Cockney and Scouse, or in French, Parisian and Quebecois...also the use of colloquialisms would work too

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and of course, there is also the point of artistic license to consider

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
Well, end well, all well; I overlooked some of it (it was long ago, and I was reacting from my e-mail feed), so you are quite right in your arguments now, sorry.

Except for this part of your original post:
"the original poster here seems to forget that ALL dialects pronounce things differently and nobody ever complains
the French call London, Londres (looks different to me, mind you i dont really see many people from England ranting and raving about it)" (Italics mine)
That's what I was reacting to with the dialects, and the explanation of the three different things. You mixed them all up here.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ahhhh, well spotted, i never even noticed that i had typed that, it really does look like i was mistaking dialects for languages, and i understand why you mentioned it

i apologise too

Smile