Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    What is Silas? ***spoilers***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Silas? ***spoilers***
 Login/Join

posted
Ideas?

The chest of dirt would seem to fit the old vampire tales...but I don't get the feeling he was, at least not in the modern since.

Did I miss something?

Posts: 211 | Location: Hampton, VA USSA | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
I assumed he was a vampire. Especially with the Danse Macabre -- he was neither living nor dead -- that's why he couldn't participate.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilith42
posted Hide Post
Vampire, maybe, but remember he was working with some unusual individuals, so he could be a whole other kind of being, somewhere between angel and demon. Kind of a limbo being.

Posts: 639 | Registered: July 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vampire. Look at the comment early in the book about his eating habits. But, of course, it's left ambiguous enough that in the version of the story you tell yourself in your head, he can be whatever sort of creature you want him to be.

Posts: 116 | Registered: February 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I assumed he was a vampire.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steven
posted Hide Post
I assume he is a vampire, based on the information given during the course of the book.

Posts: 3 | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
I've not yet read the whole book - but just based on the bit of him seen in the Danse Macabre (which Neil read at the signing on Halloween) I too assumed vampire...

~You're in the Moulin Rouge babe! Your next month's rent depends on it!~

~We'd be so lost...if we weren't 'us'"~

Posts: 4138 | Location: Enchanted Mists | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
Personally I thought him a strawberry blancmange.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed something too but I thought he was obviously a vampire...by the way, am I alone in really really wanting to read about Silas, Kandar and Miss Lupescus battles against the Jacks of All Trades in Krakow, Vancouver, Melbourne and San Francisco?
I want to see Silas cut loose and who could help loving an Assyrian winged mummy!

Posts: 9 | Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, UK | Registered: November 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
You're not alone, that bit was fun!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of endless_nights
posted Hide Post
It was subtle but kind of obvious--Silas is a vampire. He doesn't go out during the day, sleeps in a coffin, eats only one kind of food (and it's not bananas! Wink), avoids rain (in old myths vamps can't stand running water), and has no reflection. He's also directly stated as being neither living nor dead.

But I think he's something more. Because of Gaiman's subtle references to his true nature, and the way he is torn between life and death, I think he provides a very powerful mentoring position for Bod, as well as the extreme of Nobody's condition--Bod is alive but considers himself to be part of the graveyard, neither living nor gone. Silas is not alive, but not part of the graveyard, either.

I LOVED Silas!!!

*...Listening to the Chambers of your Heart...*

Posts: 53 | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
Silas is a vampire.

Posts: 6054 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
Silas is my dad!

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Royko:
Silas is my dad!

Your dad is a vampire?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Royko:
Silas is my dad!

you are blade!

coooooooool. Big Grin

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also think Silas is a vampire. I suspected it while reading the book, but the bit about the chest full of dirt was definitive.

It was a nice touch implying that everyone can be good, no matter what you are (a mummy, a ghost, a vampire,...). I think it's a great lesson.

Posts: 5 | Location: Barcelona, Spain | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
I would love a story about Silas back when he was a monster. *sigh*
but vampires are stupid-popular right now; I love that Gaiman skirted the whole thing with Silas.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
I like the idea that there will be kids reading it who maybe won't recognize the clues and only years later will they realize that Bod's protector was a vampire.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be a link to Silas from Acts.
Silas

A traveler, final fate unknown, etc. He became a vampire? Sure, why not.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlisher
posted Hide Post
Certainly a vampire. 's funny how Bod gets learn about all sorts of neat crittures, but never about the werewolves or vampires.

I am the one, the only, LORD GOD CHLISH OF THE TICKS! All hail.

"What's green, hangs on the wall, and sings?"
"Billy, the large-mouth singing bass."

Posts: 91 | Location: "The north," she said. | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post