Find
Notify
Tools

Cast the movie
 Login/Join

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted
Well, Coraline's been made into a movie, Mirrormask was a movie, and most of Neil's longer works have been purchased for movie-making if not actually filmed. The filming of Graveyard Book seems inevitable. So, who would you cast?

I really have no specific preferences at this point other than that I really wish Christopher Ecclestone weren't so skinny because otherwise he'd make a fantastic Silas.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Surely there's time before filming to fatten him up a bit? I volunteer to make him a sandwich!

I don't really have anyone in mind, except lately I've been wanting to see David Tennant in a creepy role - so could he be a Jack?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Oh, he'd be perfect for Jack-as-historian at the very least.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
I think that the obvious choice for Bod is Dakota Fanning. Smile

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Posts: 334 | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil "a Company of Wolves" Jordan is adapting the Graveyard Book . . .

So now we can start casting the movie proper, apparantly Neil hopes that it will be like Harry Potter and have British thesps of both screen and stage clamouring for a part to impress their children/grandchildren . . .

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
just gonna throw this out there - *if* he could be contained, no improv - Robin Williams for Silas?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Keanu? (hahahahahahahaha!)

Sorry, that wasn't funny - um yes, I just read that the film was going ahead too! Exciting isn't it! Need to get my thinking cap on. Maybe we should let Mr Neil have our ideas - do you think he'd have a say in casting? We should vote and send it to him!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I doubt he has a say in casting.

Picture of Chlisher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
Well, Coraline's been made into a movie, Mirrormask was a movie, and most of Neil's longer works have been purchased for movie-making if not actually filmed. The filming of Graveyard Book seems inevitable. So, who would you cast?

I really have no specific preferences at this point other than that I really wish Christopher Ecclestone weren't so skinny because otherwise he'd make a fantastic Silas.

I have no idea who that is, but since Silas IS a vampire... he's allowed to be ultra skinny.

I am the one, the only, LORD GOD CHLISH OF THE TICKS! All hail.

"What's green, hangs on the wall, and sings?"
"Billy, the large-mouth singing bass."

Posts: 91 | Location: "The north," she said. | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Christopher Ecclestone

He was a Dr.Who, as was/is David Tennant.

If we are going for British actors, I'd say Robson Green from 'Wire in the Blood' for Jack or Silas.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotiaNova:
Neil "a Company of Wolves" Jordan is adapting the Graveyard Book . . .

FOR REAL???

*looks it up*

HOLY CRAP!!!! What a perfect combination!! Oooh, I'm REALLY looking forward to this!

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Richard E Grant for Silas!

Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:

I don't get it . . . I don't think Ecclescakes is particularly skinny . . . I pictured Silas as being quite skinny . . . so I'm not sure what your casting suggestion means . . .

has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
Freddie Highmore as Bod? I love that kid.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
can we not have alan rickman as silas?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing about casting Bod is that they'll either have to have all of the stories take place during the same period of time, as I can't see them find someone who can convincingly play from about 5 years old to 13 (it's a given that they will need a proper infant for the start).

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Mm, Alan Rickman could be good and but I think that Richard E Grant could be good too. He has been a vampire before!

Kurt Vonnegut

Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
I think Alan Rickman is a clear choice for Silas. For Bod, you'd probably need at least 3 actors, maybe 4, so you probably couldn't get any big names (not that there are many at that age for boys).

Miss Lupescu, that'd be a tough one, too. I imagined some sort of strict librarian for the part.

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Posts: 334 | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it, it will be a challenge to make a movie with different actors playing the lead. The audience really needs to buy in to the fact that they're all Bod, and that's tricky. Especially considering the ages of the actors involved.

Since Neil Jordan's directing, there's a decent chance Stephen Rea might turn up. He'd make an interesting Silas, but he's a little more diminutive than I imagined. He could definitely be the Man Jack (Frost), but somehow Stephen Rea for the heavy seems a little obvious. He could be Mr. Owens. Seems a little young, but I can't see that that would matter.

Liam Neeson's almost too paternal to play Silas. I'd want someone who, at least at first, seems a bit cold and distant. Bill Nighy already has the makeup. Razz Clive Owen's a bit young, and that would be in blockbuster territory, and then you'd have to have Julia Roberts as the Lady on the Grey, riding on Dakota Fanning.

Ageless Shirley Henderson could pull off Liza Hempstock, but let's be bold and go with Carey Mulligan, because I loff her.

Meryl Streep as Miss Lupescu? If she'll do Mamma Mia, she'll do anything. And at least you know she'd get the accent right.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there's a precedent where a movie was shot over a number of years to follow a child actors growth, buts I's cannae waits that long . . .