Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    Teachers - Is anyone using TGB in the classroom?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teachers - Is anyone using TGB in the classroom?
 Login/Join

posted
I have put together a collection of lesson plans using The Graveyard Book (TGB). The target age group is middle school students, but the materials would also be good for homeschool families, library-based "one book" groups or students doing independent reading, analysis and essays about TGB.

I am hoping this forum can help me to get in touch with teachers who could beta-test some of these lessons and provide feedback. I know several of the lessons could use fine-tuning before I finalize them. My goal is to publish the lessons in a literature guide (in print and online).

I don't have a class of students this year on which I can try out the lessons, so I'd appreciate assistance from anyone who is using TGB in a classroom setting.

Does this forum have private messaging? If not, just leave a message on this thread and we'll figure out a way to get in touch.

Thanks.
- Sara

P.S. If anyone has ideas for lessons, please let me know about those, too. I have chapter summaries and discussion questions already done. I put together several lessons focused on "theme." Got a webquest about The Danse Macabre. A game involving Celtic history and myth. Word puzzles using vocabulary. And lots of background research about The Jungle Book, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robinson Crusoe, etc.

The lesson most in need of feedback at this point is the one involving Celtic history. Students will get more out of the book if they learn some background, I think, but it's hard to get this information into a form that is fun and interesting and that students will clearly recognize as linked to the book.

Posts: 17 | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've now offered three of my TGB lessons on the "Teachers Pay Teachers" website, for what it's worth. If anyone is looking for TGB lesson plans and materials for use in the classroom, please go to that website and take a look at the previews, thumbnails and lesson descriptions. I'd love to start getting some feedback from teachers, librarians, homeschool families and/or students.

posted Hide Post
HR job spam. No, really. - Ed. by DiD...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't want to run afoul of the rules of this forum, but I thought people might be interested in what I'm seeing about the way TGB is being used in classrooms. This is information derived from 3-1/2 years of sales of lesson plans.

Since I began offering lesson plans at the beginning of February 2011, 165 people (presumably teachers) have purchased lessons relating to TGB. How are they teaching the book? The most popular subject areas are a virtual tie: "Dance with Death" (a comparison of views of death across cultures - including Dia de los Muertos and Michael Jackson's "Thriller") and "Literary Allusion" (The Jungle Book, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, etc.). Not far behind is an exploration of connections between TGB and mythology (mostly Celtic, of course). Two lessons focused on finding and exploring themes are slightly less popular, which I find interesting because the standardized testing movement pushes teachers to get kids focused on themes. Maybe most teachers already have their own lessons about themes and don't need to buy them. Or maybe teachers just want to teach things that are interesting to them and to their students instead of worrying about the tests. (Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead). Or maybe they are buying TGB lessons from another vendor. (Clearly, there have to be more than 165 teachers teaching the book over the last three years.)

I apologize if this post is not of general interest and is considered too spammy. I will understand if it is deleted.

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Shack, it's all good.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post