Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    Indigo Man, Sleer, etc. *spoilers*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indigo Man, Sleer, etc. *spoilers*
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished reading the book, and I love it. The ending is great and I love how everything in the story is tied together. Like how Jack knew to go after Scarlett, and to use her as a way to get to Bod, etc.

I do have one question though, and that has to do with the Indigo Man, the Sleer, and the significance of the treasures. When Jack finally has Bod cornered in the grave, why doesn't he just kill him? Why did he suddenly want to put Bod on the altar stone and declare himself Master with the treasures? Was it some kind of ritual to make him the master of Jacks? I don't know if that was made very clear.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

Nicole

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to say that Jack is just egotistical and a bit of a megalomaniac. He realizes that he could be the next "big cheese" so to speak, and through that he decided that he was 'top of the food chain' and that he deserved to be the Sleer's master. He said "The end of one order. The beginning of another." So I think that shows how he thought he was going to be "master of Jacks" as you say.

Ironic fact, I like that the Sleer tell Bod to remember his name and in turn they get Jack as their master. I dunno, names seem to play a big part in this book, like knowing who you are and stuff...

Posts: 8 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly certain that the three artifacts referenced, were part of the druidic rights of sacrifice. In particular human sacrifice. Sacrificial victims that have been recovered from bogs were frequently found in positions where they were kneeling down, and were strangled while kneeling or had their throats cut.

The den of the sleer was a drudic funeral mound so that makes the most sense to me. Neil may have taken some liberties with the rituals, reports from that time period are scarce and almost entirely based on Roman accounts.

In the final chapters Jack did mention that his order had been looking for he mound for centuries.
And there has always been this kind of idea playing around esoteric circles, that some how druidic sects survived the christianiztion of Europe.
The Jacks could try to claim this pedigree.
Other groups certainly have.

Thats the great thing about Neil, he has these references into antiquity and the most obscure occult writings, that he's culled over decades of research, and he weaves them in so effortlessly in the writing.

Posts: 2 | Location: Boston Massachusetts | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack believed his power would be much greater if Bod were ritually sacrificed rather than just killed but like Lord Voldemort with Harry Potter he became overconfident and gloating and missed his chance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cori,

#Fear_the_Sleer

Posts: 16 | Registered: January 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post