Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  The Graveyard Book    The Jungle Book character relations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Jungle Book character relations
 Login/Join

posted
after reading the graveyard book I tried seeing which characters lined up with those in the jungle book. herse what ive got so far:
(please forgive my spelling on the character names, i do not have my book on hand)

bod- mowgli
mr and mrs owens- the wolves
silas- the bear
Ms lupescru- the panther
the ghouls- the monkeys
girls name who i'm drawing a blank on- the elephant
antique trader- the snake
Jack- the tiger

whats bothering me is the witch, i cant think who she could possibly be, assuming she was meant to be a version of anyone from the jungle book at all.

any other ideas?

Posts: 3 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
i always thought it was more taking the idea of 'being brought up by' than specific characters, although i can see the analogy of your links.

and did mowgli not fall in love with a human girl and return to his village, i'd say perhaps the witch could be the human girl?

however, thank you for bring this up because it's tempted me to look through the book again - and now i need to read it again...one more to the reading list dear friends, one more....

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I confess, I never read the Jungle Book. *puts that on my list*

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasnt positive that thats what neil was doing, i mean, i assumed bod would be mowgli, but after reading about the ghouls passing him around and carrying him off to their kingdom, i noticed they were a lot like the monkeys and just had fun seeing who else could line up for the rest of the book.

The witch being the human girl is a good guess, i'd forgotten all about her.

Posts: 3 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
it fits with the falling in love, but the witch was one of the dead, and not his reason to go home...

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats true, hmmm. i wonder if there is someone in the jungle book that mowgli helps in a similar way to how bod helps her by giving her a headstone...

Wigber
Picture of Admiral Hasa
posted Hide Post
Jack Frost - Shir Khan

The Sleer - The White Cobra

---------------
Bah! Humbug!

Posts: 1056 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that there are distinct parallels, but I disagree with some of your assessment.

I agree that-
Bod = Mowgli
Jack = Shere Kahn
The Dead = The Wolves
The Ghouls = The Bandar-Log

But as for the others, I disagree, and I think that's due to you basing your opinion on the Disney movie, rather than the book, which I'd wager Neil is familiar with...

Silas = Bagheera (The panther was Mowgli's protector and mentor, and was more likely to spoil him than his other two teachers.)

Ms. Lupescu - Baloo (The bear is Mowgli's teacher. While Bagheera offers advice and guidance, Baloo teaches lessons, and is more inclined to give Mowgli a smack on the head.)

Kaa the snake has elements of himself in Ms. Lupescu and Liza. Ms Lupescu because she rescues Bod fromt he ghouls/Monkeys, and Liza as she uses her special talents to help Bod escape a danger. (Kaa is a good guy in the book.)

Other analogues are Chil the Kite, who is represented by the Nightgaunt (Mogwgli calls to Chil in his own language when being kidnapped by monkeys, and Chil fetches Kaa), Hathi the elephant, and Akela the lead wolf, are represented by the Gaius Pompeiius. The Sleer is the White Cobra, who uards a treasure, but Mowgli realizes it has no venom left.

More later if I think of any.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EmmyShimmy
posted Hide Post
I tried not to read too much into Graveyard Book because I think the similarities to Jungle Book were supposed to be flattering not mirror. Did anyone read the article in SLJ?

~and i know i have been driven like the snow~

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts - they alter the facts to fit their views.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmmyShimmy:
I think the similarities to Jungle Book were supposed to be flattering not mirror.

Mowgli took the White Cobra's treasure, and two other men took it from him and killed each other over their desire to possess it. Mowgli then returned it to the cobra, who smugly noted that it always comes back. Straight-up mirror.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EmmyShimmy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations you proved someone wrong on the internet. Nonetheless I think the rethink of the story through The Graveyard Book was creative.

~and i know i have been driven like the snow~

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts - they alter the facts to fit their views.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted Hide Post
I think that some of it will parallel closely, and some of it won't. no need to get huffy, guys. Smile

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I made a point of rereading The Jungle Book immediately before reading The Graveyard Book and it really enhanced the experience.

Until the end I really thought Scarlett was going to be the human girl.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cori,

#Fear_the_Sleer

Posts: 16 | Registered: January 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post