Find
Notify
Tools

Iain (M) Banks
 Login/Join

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I'm just re-reading Excession, which I'm enjoying a lot. In a way it's the least 'plotty' IMB novel I've read so far; it's more of a "let's throw this pebble in the pond and see what ripples it makes" book, but since the ripples are very intriguing, I don't mind at all. Smile I recently read Feersum Endjin, which I enjoyed too, although as is often the case with me and IMB, I usually read the ending and feel that I didn't really fully get it.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Excession's probably the best introduction to the Culture. The leet sections of Feersum Endjinn were hard to slog through.

Firefly fans, I recommend you try Banks's Against a Dark Background, this was the kind of story Joss Whedon was aiming for in Firefly: character-driven, heartbreaking, unforgettable sf.

To me, the Culture always seemed like a bunch of petulant spoiled brats, acting out because they don't have boundaries. I keep thinking this is not how an empowered spacefaring civilization would play out, in a wish-fulfillment universe where technology triumphs over Murphy's Law. And esthetically Banks gets it, so the Culture's threatened in Excession and in Look to Windward. If you create Superman, you have to create kryptonite, otherwise the story's got nowhere to go.

In Matter you start to see the real shape of things: the regular Culture is the common rabble kept amused with bread and circuses, Contact is the working, productive middleclass, Special Circumstances are the elite. George Orwell stands firm, we'll always have the High, the Middle, and the Low, no matter what.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I've just read Consider Phlebas and am now about 1/3 of the way through Look to Windward. Good stuff, but Excession is still my favorite.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
*bump* Has anyone read Transition? The blurb seemed meh. I want more Culture stuff, or at least the large-scale space opera that Banks does so well. Guess I'll wait for it in paperback.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Soulslack
posted Hide Post
i haven't read Transition, but i finished Matter recently and was entirely underwhelmed. i love every other Culture novel however - my favourite being Use of Weapons.

- Soul

Post Tequila Ergo Propter Tequila.

Posts: 1913 | Location: Aotearoa | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
I thought Matter was an interesting read, deliberately undercutting expectations and with a powerful sense of humanistic anger that I haven't felt in his sci-fi for a while, despite nods towards it in The Algebraist and Look to Windward. But I'm not in a lot of company there, I know.

Transition has it's moments, but theres a slightly annoying tricky-switch - Don't get me wrong, I love twists, but this one felt more dishonest than most. It's still a fun ride, though.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I just discovered Banks a few months ago and I am trying to read them in order. I liked Consider Phlebas because the main character was agienst the culture.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post

Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Inversions". It made sense as a Culture novel, but I think someone just stumbling over it might not get it.

+++

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Inversions is so... meh. It's just about ok, but it's the weakest of the culture novels by a street.

It's just another debate about the ethics of intervention with a twisty turny ending that was clunnnnky. I felt Matter was much more brutal, and far less compromising on those ethical issues, bringing them forward with a real sense of anger and betrayal.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
totally agree on the meh. Haven't read matter yet.

+++

Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
finshed windward, about to start matter.

We'll talk more later.

+++

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post

Found this while my cat was getting spayed. I'm about 5 chapters in so far.

stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
ooooh. you bastard... I'm forcing myself to wait for the paperback edition. Looooong wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but I'll go ahead and call it: Best. Culture. Novel. Evar. Neener neener! Razz

stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
Better than Excession and Use of Weapons?

Now that's some claim, right there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mischief the Polarbear:
Better than Excession and Use of Weapons?

Yes. Just finished Surface Detail yesterday. Consider me ravished. Sizzles and seethes with humanistic anger. Some of the Hell passages out-Dante Dante, made me wish for mind bleach. But that's the point isn't it?

The Culture books before Matter are introductory, maybe even misleading. In Matter and Surface Detail, we start to see how the Culture really rolls. The regular wankers can dick around pointlessly on orbitals all they want, but out amongst the other Involved races they need rational adults. The Byzantine bureaucracies of The Algebraist (my favorite Banks novel) are leaking through, that's what Contact should look like.

Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Only about half way done with surface detials. I loved chapter four- the first desscription of hell.

+++

The Doughmaster
Picture of TheatreGeek
posted Hide Post
Psi recommended the Culture books to me, and I'm gratly enjoying them thus far - I started with Use of Weapons, and I'm about 3/4 of the way through Consider Phlebas. I must admit, some of the science aspects of the science fiction throw me for a loop (I just don't have the kind of brain that can grasp some of those concepts), but the stories are compelling enough to keep me reeled in.

~ Non-Mod-Amy, aka Amy of the Lost Ark

You are a Bookholder. To prompt, or...LINE! (not to prompt) --not to prompt. That is the question. Whether t'is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of a bad memory, or to take arms against a sea of textual deviations, and...LINE! (by opposing) --by opposing them...LINE! (end) --end...LINE! (them) --end them...LINE! (to prompt, to correct; no more; and by a correction to say we end the heart-ache of a really terrible performance) You didn't have to give me the whole thing! I know it!

Posts: 11747 | Location: Michigan | Registered: August 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post