Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
 Login/Join

Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Just finished Book 4 in Smith's Lensemen series. Going to take a break from it for a time and read some other stuff.

Read the short story 2BR02B by Kurt Vonnegut. It was good, wanted more.

Up next, another Project Gutenberg find: Circus by Alan Edward Nourse. I know nothing about it, the title just grabbed my attention as I was searching through the SF shelf at PG.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doctor/Warrior/Hunter/Judge/Prey
Picture of Circus
posted Hide Post
I am reading The Trouble With Normal: Sex, Politics, and the Ethics of Queer Life by Michael Warner. Good stuff, very thought provoking (for straight folks too).

Posts: 7496 | Location: lurking beneath the floorboards of the old Twilight Cafe | Registered: August 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Just finished A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Such a brilliant piece. The writing is so sparse and intelligent.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
im re-reading The Hound Of The Baskervilles

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
How Shakespeare Changed Everything
He didn't, but it makes a good read.

Bangs and Whimpers
The cream of the apocalyptic short story collection crop. And, it appears, out of print.

Tree of Souls
I'm prepping for the next D & D campaign, about two years hence. This is a book of Jewish folktales. I don't know how it fits with the campaign idea, but I'm sure it does somehow.

Night Shift
Really, just "The Last Rung on the Ladder" a few dozen times. It's a beautiful short story.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Doulas Coupland. I really need to stop reading end of the world books.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm starting Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (otherwise known as Stephen King's son) tonight

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
an ebook from the library about cats in space by Anne McCaffrey and someone else.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
The Meowmorphosis.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
The Meowmorphosis.

I had to google that, but it sounds far more entertaining than the cat book I'm reading.

I'm about 30 pages in and bored with it. I remember enjoying Anne McCaffrey books. They weren't taxing reads and she got overly emotional at times, but the characters were always believable. These are just dull and pointless.

I expected a story about cats in space to be more entertaining.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
an ebook from the library about cats in space by Anne McCaffrey and someone else.

Like Pigs in Space, but with cats?

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I expected a story about cats in space to be more entertaining.

All I can think of is "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls" by Robert Heinlein. (Not one of the 'cat who' books by Lilian Jackson Braun.)

"Door in to Summer" was a better cat book, but it was time travel, not outer space.

+++

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
The Meowmorphosis is good, bordering on great. It's extraordinarily faithful to the original text, in the early going, which is at times a little to the new author's detriment. For example, in the original, much is made of the fact that Gregor wakes up as a bug on his back and has considerable trouble getting on his feet. In Meowmorphosis, the author keeps a lot of the writing about the anatomical difficulty he has righting himself. At a point, he eventual gives that up and talks more about how he is a kitten, happily napping under warm blankets and therefore drowsy.

- G.K. Chesterton

lives deliberately
Picture of Alaura
posted Hide Post
Just finished The Professor and The Madman by Simon Winchester, which is an account of the relationship between James Murray, senior editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, and C.W. Minor, a major contributor to the dictionary who also happened to be an inmate at Broadmoor Asylum for the Criminally Insane.

I never thought I would be so captivated over a book about the writing of the dictionary. But it was kind of awe-inspiring.

ego forceps ergo ego forceps

"Chives?"�
"Yes, m'lud?"�
"Is that Ms Ephemera hovering over the croquet lawn?"�
"Indeed m'lud. She's marshalled all the haggle-dans. Missy-twigs and vale-nymphs from Claypole Woods. Apparently she intends to tear this house down and dance on the ruins."�
"Well, Chives, you'd better start the car, what? And pack my tennis things too"�
--- Joe 3Heads

Posts: 11426 | Location: In a perpetual state of Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in a strange twist for me...i'm reading the same author two books in a row...im going to attempt to start Horns by Joe Hill

whether I start it tonight as planned is up to how drunk i really am...or realize i am when i open the book

is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
The Christ Conundrum: The Skeptics Guide to Jesus by Andrew Carruth.

Needs more footnotes...

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Now Reading "One of Our Thursdays is Missing."

This may be the best book I've read this year. It's early, but, man, this is definitely my favourite of the recent Thursday Next books.

- G.K. Chesterton

In control
Picture of Caspian
posted Hide Post
Just finished rereading V for Vendetta, and wrote a paper about it. Now reading Frank Norris's McTeague.

----------------
Never stare into a car's headlights and freeze, because you'll either be run over or shot.

Posts: 1766 | Location: Everywhere you wanna be. Like Visa. Or is that American Express? | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now Reading "One of Our Thursdays is Missing."

This may be the best book I've read this year. It's early, but, man, this is definitely my favourite of the recent Thursday Next books.

Bwah- I have been on the kids side of the library too long. How did I miss this one?

+++