Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
 Login/Join

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I am chipping away at "The Hydrogen Sonata" by Banks. So far ok. I just don't seem to have much time for reading.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Spares by Michael Marshall Smith

(reading it after watching Moon and Bladerunner worked perfectly!)

Smile

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2662 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Just read "Reamde" by Neal Shephenson. Not really sure what I thought of it.

+++

Posts: 2482 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Tearing through the Phryne Fisher novels, thanks to our own Xine.

I have "Killing Moon" by NK Jemison on my Kindle, and just can't get into it, even though by all accounts it is fantastic. That's always frusterating. Maybe I just haven't been in the right mood lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8062 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
Starting reading Colbert's "America Again-Re-becoming the Greatness we Never Weren't". Got it as a gift for christmas. Really enjoying it so far.

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
books about places¬!

Tune In Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries by Tim Anderson and maps of my life by Guy Browning (who is guest speaking at a conference I'm at next week, judging by this book I'm looking forward to it, I suspect there will not be guest appearences by The Fatted Calf or The Sainted One, which will be a shame).

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20558 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I finished some Sara Douglass soap opera books, the ones about the Troy Game and London.

I now need something new. I tried some Robert Rankin, but he's just a bit too surreal for me to concentrate on.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25172 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Better Angels of our Nature - Stephen Pinker. Tis good!

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Lev Grossman's The Magicians

It's engaging so far.

ETA: Not quite done with it. It's readable, that for sure, but I don't like *any* of the characters! There's no real story, it just sort of meanders. I keep reading it in the hopes that it makes a point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maeve,

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25172 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
I read parts of Truman by David McCullough. For school, but it's an enjoyable read, of a kind I probably never would have read before. School's good for that sometimes.

Though now I really need to read something light and enjoyable in a different way.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 178 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Finally started reading cloud atlas. Wanted to read it before I see the movie.

+++

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
John Dies At The End. I'm a little over 100 pages in, and so far it's been spooky, inventive, horrifying and often funny.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
What ho!

A lot of Wodehouse fanfic. Never read fanfic for this before, and it lends itself to it surprisingly well.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15828 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
"Zoo City" by Lauren Beukes.

Dark Urban fantasy in South Africa, and it's REALLY good.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3119 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Jo Nesbo book someone lent me. Bored. But not enough to stop reading it.

I'm waiting for the second in a Sarah Pinborough trilogy to come into the library. They take their time. I can't beleive they'd order in no's 1 & 3 and not 2!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2662 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
Finally reading Zero History. Seems like a denim fetish book.

(Hive, Wodehouse fanfic sounds super fun - if you run across anything especially good, would you post a link?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8062 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
Just finished Shadow of the Wind and about to start The Angel's Game.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Loved shadow of the wind.

Just picked up the shining girls. The new book by lauren beukes, the author of the fabulous zoo city.

It may be a short while until I can read it, but a couple of supermarkets have it for £5!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20558 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Hey, I read Shadow of the Wind late last year and loved it too, Smaug. Apparently there are several other books connected to it, but it felt just perfect on its own, so I don't feel any major urge to pick them up.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post