Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I am reading song lyrics are :-

"Love The Way You Lie"
(feat. Rihanna)

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
But that's alright because I like the way it hurts
Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
But that's alright because I love the way you lie
I love the way you lie

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: July 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Second read of Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey and I'm wondering when the next book in that series is gonna be out. I do have the next Thursday Next book to look forward to.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25176 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I put it off as long as I could, but I had to start to reread the Harry Potter books.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2483 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I am reading Eoin Colfer's attempt to complete the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

I am basically treating it like fanfic. Some bits at the beginning were like he was channeling Douglas Adams, but that quickly dropped off. t's not a bad story so far, but he rambles. And not in a fun Adams-esque way.

He's treating Trillian pretty badly, turning her into a middle aged grumpy old woman, but to be fair, Adams started that treatment in Mostly Harmless.

But all the characters are just like the liquid dispensed by the Nutrimatic drinks dispensers - it's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Arthur/Ford/Zaphod/Trillian/Random.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25176 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
And Another Thing ended just wrong. feh. I'm not sorry I read it, but it won't be a book that I re-read again any time soon.

I am re-reading the Thursday Next books. I was a bit lost when I read the last one, so I've decided to start over from book #1.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Moon over soho, a follow uo to rivers of london. Fun.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20559 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
I recently read Duma Key by Stephen King, the story of a man who survives a horrific accident and goes to retire on a tiny island in Florida, and what he finds there. Well written, quite compelling and a quick read despite being a big book, definitely worth a read.

Also, I'm finally coming to the end of Mists of Avalon. After a slow start, it wound up drawing me in fairly well.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I am reading Eoin Colfer's attempt to complete the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (...)

He's treating Trillian pretty badly, turning her into a middle aged grumpy old woman, but to be fair, Adams started that treatment in Mostly Harmless.

But all the characters are just like the liquid dispensed by the Nutrimatic drinks dispensers - it's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Arthur/Ford/Zaphod/Trillian/Random.

Thank you Maeve for that funny review. Tells me enough to know that I probably won't make an effort to get it.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Also, I'm finally coming to the end of Mists of Avalon. After a slow start, it wound up drawing me in fairly well.

Oh I completely forgot about this book. Read it about 25 years ago (how I hate to be able to say this!)? I could get an English copy and read the original. Neat idea.
So a thank you to you as well, Wanderer!

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just finished (as much as you can finish a book that was never finished) The Castle by Franz Kafka

bought Live By Night by Dennis Lehane, going to start that shortly

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
Kafka's one of those guys I want to get back to. I read some of his stuff at grammar school and liked it back then, but in the meantime I think I've become considerably better at reading and understanding literature, so I'd really like to revisit Kafka.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I am about half way done with "the Half-Life of Facts: Why everything we know has an expiration Date" I have been enjoying it so far. I think that there are some people on this board that might like it. (Dewey#501)

+++

Posts: 2483 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thirith & His Enormous Tibia:
Kafka's one of those guys I want to get back to. I read some of his stuff at grammar school and liked it back then, but in the meantime I think I've become considerably better at reading and understanding literature, so I'd really like to revisit Kafka.

i mostly got back into him because I was in Prague in August and September, it rekindled my love of his work

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Just finished another Michael Marshall book. Bad Things. I read The Intruders before that, which I think was better.
But also a book called Only Forward by the same guy, but as Michael Marshall Smith.
Now that was fun!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2662 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Sherlock Holmes for dumbies.

+++

Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Half way into the new Thursday Next novel. I think I need to go back and retread the others.

+++

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
That's what I had to do library lady. It ended up making so much more sense!

Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
John Milton's Paradise Lost (going to try to get through those Adam and Eve parts this time around), and Iain Sinclair's Slow Chocolate Autopsy: and missing every other idiosyncratic reference.

Posts: 6034 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I am reading Bard's Oath by Joanne Bertin It's a sequel to her other two Dragonlord books which I quite liked. What's not to like about weredragons? Anyway, this book is plodding a bit or perhaps it just seems that way since my Nook will only show a small section of text as a 'page'.

I have to have the text size set up quite large so that I don't have to wear reading glasses. And I have the margins set as the smallest margin available and still there's just a teeny block of text in the centre. So I get maybe thirty words per page. Maybe forty, I haven't really counted.

And I don't want to be one of those twats who gives a bad review of the book merely because of technical issues. It's nothing to do with the author and everything to do with the publisher. At least, I think it's the publisher, maybe it's B&N?

I do want to complain about it, somewhere. Perhaps I'll start with B&N.