Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in the Part 4 are you reading now?!
 Login/Join

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I was given a copy of "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by um, hang, on I'll go and look it up ...
Patrick Ness.

A lovely easy read, and you're there, with the characters. But it's so sloooooow. But fast at the same time. But not much happens. Very odd really. But when I got to the end, and I didn't realise this, it's a trilogy. Looks like a trip to the library for the next two.

Sarah Pinborough's new book in the Dog thingy trilogy is waiting there for me Smile

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Because someone on the Discworld Monthly group on facebook mentioned this author, lately I've been reading Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series.

It's fun. But it's a popcorn kind of book, it's light and silly at times - the druid guy can converse with his Irish Wolfhound and their conversations are written as comic relief. He riffs off of Neil Gaiman's idea that gods exist because people believe in them. One of the books mentions the druid squee-ing about getting a book signed by his favourite author: Neil Gaiman.

The series reads a bit like Simon R Green's Nightside books or Ben Aaronovitch's River of London books, so, if you like those books you'd probably like these. My library had a few as ebooks.

Next up will be NG's new book.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I've been recommend those books before, I'm going to have to look them up, I enjoy popcorn books.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Finally getting around to The Ocean at the end of the Lane. The descriptions are very vivid! So far it's entertaining. Not quite to half though.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Science of the discworld IV. I've just picked it up again after putting it down for a while, and have remembered why I put it down! This is painful and the discworld bits read like bad fan fiction written by an 11 year old!

Not convinced I'm going to finish it.

ETA : I'm done, life's too short and there are took many books i'd actually enjoy waiting to be read!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Anyone read Pure by Andrew Miller? Thoroughly enjoyably ickiest books I've read for a while.

Also been reading lots of Michael Marshall Smith, Sarah Pinborough and now Lou Morgan. Enjoying them all.

Oh, and a short story book. All of the above picked from reading things on twitter. When feeling in tune and happy with the world, I love twitter.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I read and greatly enjoyed Pure a couple of years ago. Historical fiction is tricky to pull off IMO, but Miller did a very good job.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I know we have a rambling thread elsewhere, but not everybody is there...

I recently read In Calabria by Peter S Beagle. It was short, sweet, romantic and delightful.

I really liked book #1 of the Invisible Library series and so moved on to book #2. I slogged my way through a little over half and got sooooo boooooored.

So I decided to re-read The Name of the Wind, in the vague hope that maybe some magic will happen and we'll have a release date for book #3 sometime soon! (yeah, I don't expect it to happen)

Then, who knows? Maybe some Jasper Fforde? Maybe re-read my way through Discworld and finally finish the last one?

Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
Omnibus One of Lone Wolf and Cub .

Posts: 6055 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post