Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Warren Ellis - FreakAngels and other stuff (spoilers may appear)
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warren Ellis - FreakAngels and other stuff (spoilers may appear)
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted
okay, i admit it, i'm hoping for some fangirl/guy talk about Warren's wonderful webcomic FreakAngels.

If you read it - talk to me, if you haven't yet, go off and read it and then get back to me.

I also love what i've read so far of Transmetropolitan and plan on picking them all up from my library, so i'm happy to chat about that too.

Must admit, never much got away with Planetary, but don't let that stop you talking about it Big Grin

and on that note....CHIKKINZ!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
I just got caught up Big Grin

You should all read it because Paul Duffield (artist) is a sweet heart!

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
chikkinz?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's adorable. Normally I get really irritated with characters like her.

-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
31 degrees. I don't know why, maybe it's because it's a prime number, but it's just unsettling.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I like it and it's Snazz's fault I know who Warren Ellis is (also various other people on twitter) and then Smaug said she was reading it, so I started a few weeks ago.

I don't have much to say at the mo, except that I know almost nothing about London/Whitechapel and yet it doesn't seem to e an issue, they desribe things/places well.

I like gardener dude and the spacey bald chick.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I'm on episode 15.

I'll be honest - I usually don't like Warren Ellis at all. His too-hip, "I can say 'fuck' in a superhero comic" attitude irks me, but whatever freakangels is, I love it.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I've just started reading this because of this thread (now on episode 39) and eeeeee! Apart from the John Wyndham-love and the London-love and the flawed-superhero-love, I used to live over Spitalfields/Whitechapel way, and am having a kind of morbid fun spotting locations.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
chikkinz?

Now I know what you are on about!

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
And I adore that the one who goes in for the superheros' long flappy dark coat-of-awesomeness is actually the one who used to be a podge.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
quote:
chikkinz?

Now I know what you are on about!

Big Grin

*does the happy new converts dance*

it is good isn't it.

i'm looking forward to starting to talk about the characters and stuff, there are discussions on the whitechaple pages, but i'd rather talk with you lot Big Grin

i have not yet decided a favourite, like all good characters they are cool with flaws.

*waits until next week to fall back through the rabbit hole*

~

CHIKKINZ?

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
I'm on episode 15.

I'll be honest - I usually don't like Warren Ellis at all. His too-hip, "I can say 'fuck' in a superhero comic" attitude irks me, but whatever freakangels is, I love it.

i must admit, i don't think i've read his superhero stuff.

~

CHIKKINZ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
I've just started reading this because of this thread (now on episode 39) and eeeeee! Apart from the John Wyndham-love and the London-love and the flawed-superhero-love, I used to live over Spitalfields/Whitechapel way, and am having a kind of morbid fun spotting locations.

hee. it was fun hanging out with Paul Duffield in Whitechapel 'cause he was pointing out specific scenes and buildings that were in the comic Big Grin

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
Just got completely caught up and, damn, but this is a fantastic comic. I'm tempted to get the trades just for the art, and the story's great to boot.

Favourite characters? Oog, couldn't even get started there. I do have some favourite relationships, if that helps. I like Arkady and Karl - I don't know why, exactly, as they scarcely interact, but the two of them just seem to be a good pair. Not romantically, they're just well-matched.

- G.K. Chesterton

Picture of JackintheBox
posted Hide Post
Freakangels is amazing. The art, the plot, all of it is better than the average webcomic. I love it. Especially Arkady. She's crazy and awesome in just the right way.

Smaug, read all of Transmet. Its fantastic stuff. Aside from Sandman, its the only western graphic novel I intend to collect.

Posts: 66 | Location: In the box in your attic | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually a fan of comics/graphic novels/whatever. Usually the images take me away from the story.

This one is very much fun though. I love the images, and the story is slow enough in teasing out background and plot developments to keep me interested, but fast enough that I don't get bored.

Are all of his things in the same visual style? Because if more comics looked like this, I might pick more up!

Posts: 6962 | Location: Flo-Rida | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
quote:
Must admit, never much got away with Planetary, but don't let that stop you talking about it Big Grin

don't really follow what you mean with that?

i've been reading ellis for years. he has a weird back catalogue. in some ways he seems to try and avoid the superhero thing, but in other ways it pays the bills, and becomes unfortunately unavoidable.

his attitude and sweary scathing stuff has its place. but can also be over used. i have mixed feelings about that, and find it varies from piece to piece.

but back to planetary. i think it is awesome. absolutely one of his best works ever. but, i get that it is also so steeped in cultural reference, such that if you don't have some of that i am not sure what you will make of it. but the characters, with the combination of cassady and depuy's art is just so painfully vivid at times.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a bit bored with the pacing of Freakangels, to tell the truth. I still like the art and all, but it's too much...logistics, mechanics and a big cast of characters communicating about municipal concerns and being tetchy right now! Maybe it'll pick up.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Noodles, I think you've pinpointed one of the reasons why I love it. I realised as I read your post that I walk around London all the time with a background hum of my brain automatically making plans for coping with disaster. The pagoda in Kew is good to defend from zombies, Horniman museum will be nice when climate change hits, because it's on a really high hill, there's fruiting fig trees in Archway, and so on. I adore logistics and mechanics, really adore them, possibly because when I was a teenager I needed to know them, and since I also once lived close to where the series is set (the lookout tower is on top of my favourite churches), this pings all kinds of buttons for me.

(NB: I realise that all this makes me sound like a mad survivalist.)

posted Hide Post
Ditto what Hive said.

@Crowgirl, Ellis is the writer, not the artist Smile