Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Warren Ellis - FreakAngels and other stuff (spoilers may appear)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warren Ellis - FreakAngels and other stuff (spoilers may appear)
 Login/Join

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I have read it due to a smaugy reference in another thread

Transmet is up there with Sandman for me as far as comics go

and I can see both sides to the arguement above

it's slow and there are many many characters which makes it difficult but it is so well drawn! So so purdy and I'm picking up the locations and stuff too, its cute.

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Noodles, I think you've pinpointed one of the reasons why I love it. I realised as I read your post that I walk around London all the time with a background hum of my brain automatically making plans for coping with disaster.

Haha, yeah, I realised when *I* wrote that, that that was probably the best thing ever for some of you (didn't you have a survival camp project going on at some point?)
I don't know, I'm more interested in characters doing things I hadn't expected and relationship stuff and mysteries, and there hasn't been enough of it for my taste. Also, I don't know any of the places, so I never get the recognition effect.

Anyway, I do follow it, I'm just hoping it'll delight me some more in future.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by His Noodle Girl:
(didn't you have a survival camp project going on at some point?)

(I lived under plastic in a wood for four years as a teenager! I'm thus hardwired for salvage - I see a bit of old crate by the side of the road and automatically think "firewood"!)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always wears a tie - just not around his neck
Picture of Graffalke the Chrono-Illogical Alchemist
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smaug! I just finished going through the archive (started yesterday) loved it. I am with noodles in that it's about the characters more as I am not a local, and a few days of wandering around London doesn't stick the places well enough in my mind.

Speaking of which, trying to respark my memory, there was a market area in London which targetted the freak/punk/goth crowd that I enjoyed walking through, just trying to remember the name.

Head of internal security of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,  
Catnip Master in the order of the Pineapple.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
camden

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always wears a tie - just not around his neck
Picture of Graffalke the Chrono-Illogical Alchemist
posted Hide Post
That's it! Thanks Hal, I had a lot of fun wandering through there.

Head of internal security of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,  
Catnip Master in the order of the Pineapple.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
well, you've spent more time in london than me graff, but i still love it.

*loves sharing good things too*

except the chocolate, that's mine

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Push:
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
Must admit, never much got away with Planetary, but don't let that stop you talking about it Big Grin

don't really follow what you mean with that?

i'm not sure if you don't understand my turn of phase or why i feel that way, so i shall clarify both.

"never much got away" = i tried to read it and it didn't grab my interest so gave up.

why i felt that way, i'm a lazy reader, there is too much out there to read so if something doesn't grab my interest quite quickly, back on the pile it will go.

that's not to say it won't get picked up again or that it's a bad thing, it's just not what i was in the mood for when i tried to read it.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is huge in Japan
Picture of Crow Girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silly punk:
Ditto what Hive said.

@Crowgirl, Ellis is the writer, not the artist Smile

Thanks (see, I'm soo not a comix buff!)

So can anyone recommend another comic that is illustrated in the same/similar pretty style?

Posts: 6962 | Location: Flo-Rida | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
fables? maybe it's got nice visuals, though not as many panels without text.

Transmet has crazy busy panels and drawings and text, but it's just such a good story

Also is nz the only place where libraries carry extensive ranges of graphic novels/comics?

I haven't found nearly as good a access in the uk or canada.

or did you mean webcomics?

Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
Ellis is my favourite writer at the moment. And Transmet probably my favourite comic.

quote:
Originally posted by Crow Girl:
quote:
Ditto what Hive said.

@Crowgirl, Ellis is the writer, not the artist Smile

Thanks (see, I'm soo not a comix buff!)

So can anyone recommend another comic that is illustrated in the same/similar pretty style?

Different artists, but I think Planetary (which I also love) has a lot of similar layout concepts. A lot of big silent panels and "shots" from weird angles.

Also, you have to pick up Ministry of Space. The art is as good as I've ever seen and it's about an alternate history space program.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Push:
quote:
Must admit, never much got away with Planetary, but don't let that stop you talking about it Big Grin

don't really follow what you mean with that?

i'm not sure if you don't understand my turn of phase or why i feel that way, so i shall clarify both.

"never much got away" = i tried to read it and it didn't grab my interest so gave up.

why i felt that way, i'm a lazy reader, there is too much out there to read so if something doesn't grab my interest quite quickly, back on the pile it will go.

that's not to say it won't get picked up again or that it's a bad thing, it's just not what i was in the mood for when i tried to read it.

Have you read the one with Ghost Cop in Hong-Kong? It's right up your alley.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
quote:

was the turn of phrase, it hurts my head!

i can understand most things aren't everyone's taste, or that it wasn't the right time. or whatever.

its funny. from memory authority and planetary were released at the same time. and i remember picking first issues of both and not liking the look of either. both looked too superheroey. but when i picked up planetary #3 and encountered the ghost cop of hong kong i was hooked. while at the same time, it seemed like the authority was the one that people seemed to be raving about. and has been picked up by several teams trying to sustain the product. but then, to some extent planetary still hasn't finished, the elusive #27 taunts us, not only as an epilogue to wrap up the series, but also because it prevents the release of book 4. i'm glad i was buying both, i'd hate to be hanging at book 3 without the journey to 26. but then the release schedule became so patchy i really need #27 to come out so i can sit and do a massive re-read.

having said that. i just re-read book 1, with the re-release of the first issue as part of the post-watchmen campaign.

i find the current avatar stuff a little depressing. none of it has the same appeal for me as "desolation jones" and "fell" but both those titles have disappeared into limbo.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
I'd pick up Ignition City #1, I love the style! Also by Ellis. I'd also say Phonograph and Suburban Glamour but they are veryheavy on the Englishness.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FatOigeon:

Have you read the one with Ghost Cop in Hong-Kong? It's right up your alley.

ha!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd pick up Ignition City #1, I love the style! Also by Ellis. I'd also say Phonograph and Suburban Glamour but they are veryheavy on the Englishness.

if you like ignition city get aetheric mechanics, its the same artist. its also a kind of post-war steam punk sherlock holmes hybrid. and it kicks you in the head so nice.

i'm not a fan of the artist for phonograph and suburban glamour, he needs to tighten his game.

as for writing of phonograph, at least first series, i found the "look at how cool, eclectic and english this is" to be a little tedious. but then, being british, and finding his "obscure" references not nearly as obscure as his target audience, its perhaps not surprising i was underwhelmed. not to say it was bad, it had a lot of potential, but ultimately rubbed me up the wrong way.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

posted Hide Post
man, aetheric mechanics was pretty cheap at FP the other week but now it is gone.

i think i knew just enough to make phonograph not overkill Big Grin

i'm stoked, ignition city 2 is out this week!

-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
My favourite Ellis comic is Fell City.
First page. Illustrated by Ben Templesmith. I think it's beautiful and ugly at the same time and I like how the lines are ill defined and pasted over with colour (not like, for instance, in Transmet). I like how it's at the same time noir and quite grotesque, and subdued.

As for Planetary, I'm not impressed by the characters or their mission, they seem like dicks, but it's probably too early to tell. Razz (Also, I suspect I'm just not a good audience for superhero comics, I get spandex envy.)

Oh yeah, and Transmet I have a bit of a fascination / love / hate relationship with. I looooooove the ideas and the details Ellis comes up with. Anyone who includes a badtempered, chainsmoking, twoheaded cat as a sidekick RULES. I love the horrible future he envisions. I just don't like how the journalism of the future seems to consist of yelling at people without evidence and from time to time just beating them up when you feel like it. And that's supposed to be heroic or something. Spoiler for the very first book: "Oh, I saw two lawyers there before the uprising, talking with the locals. That must mean that the government has instigated the uprising themselves in order to have an excuse to crack down on the people. And I must broadcast this patchy conjecture all over the world to serve my overriding sense of justice!" That makes my teeth ache!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: His Noodle Girl,

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
fables? maybe it's got nice visuals, though not as many panels without text.

Transmet has crazy busy panels and drawings and text, but it's just such a good story

Also is nz the only place where libraries carry extensive ranges of graphic novels/comics?

I haven't found nearly as good a access in the uk or canada.

or did you mean webcomics?

we've surprisingly got a very good supply up here. it started out small but grew amazingly the last few years.

@Gal - I haven't - I try to read things from the beginning, but I'll give it a go should my library have/get it (see above) Smile

*reading on in the thread*

okay, i'll generally try again later Smile

*adds to the very long to read list*

~

CHIKKINZ?

posted Hide Post
@Noodles - I love Fell. Templesmith is another brilliant (yet fundementally disturbing) artist - Wormwood Gentleman Corpse anyone?
(also another sweetheart of an artist, we met him at the MCM expo last year in the Excel centre)