Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    *For the Love of Asterix*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*For the Love of Asterix*
 Login/Join

Picture of saharial
posted Hide Post
i adored Asterix and still do - loved little dogmatix and the bard that can't sing cacophonix.

hmm i wonder what my asterix name would be....

edit:

as for 'racial stereotyping' How many of you base your opinion of Rome and Italians on the characters in an Asterix book? How about the French - do we see them all as Obelisk or the chief? No. simply because its just a fun story to read as a kid and shouldn't be seen as anything more. (I don't know any of the later books by just the one author btw.)

------------------------------------------
A giant frog chased me and it had teef!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2139436 - for all the books i've read and am reading/reviewing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saharial/ - for my photography ^^

Posts: 466 | Location: Duma Key | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saharial:
as for 'racial stereotyping' How many of you base your opinion of Rome and Italians on the characters in an Asterix book? How about the French - do we see them all as Obelisk or the chief? No. simply because its just a fun story to read as a kid and shouldn't be seen as anything more. (I don't know any of the later books by just the one author btw.)

Just because we're smart enough to know better and not base our views of other cultures on Asterix doesn't make it OK. I wouldn't want my kids to watch Song of the South either.
It's not a question of whether it will inform anybody's worldview, more of a slight discomfort at what seems to be a reflection of a very pervasive opinion in French media (mostly a few decades ago) of the inherent superiority of the French people and culture. Similarly, it seems to have faded away now, but when I was growing up, it was perfectly OK for French comedians to tell national stereotype-based jokes on prime-time national TV.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye of the Tigger
Picture of Seccotine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Count St.Pierre:
Similarly, it seems to have faded away now, but when I was growing up, it was perfectly OK for French comedians to tell national stereotype-based jokes on prime-time national TV.

For the record, they still do, and being right in the middle of a national debate set up by our beloved *cough* president about National Identity and why we should be proud to be French and everyone else stinks, I wouldn't really say it has faded away... Frown

As for Asterix, I think the thing with Goscinny is that he never completely grew up and kept seing the world with a child's eye all his life (something I see as a gift, somehow).

That's why I consider his use of stereotypes far less offensive than Uderzo's in the latest books, because Uderzo's are closer to adult xenophobia than to childish amusement about, let's say, British people adding a "cloud of milk" to their mug of "hot water".

The main problem today with Goscinny's work, which I love, is that it had so much success that it keeps being reused and adapted by grown-ups. And, sadly, the kind of grown-ups who think what made his stories funny was that he was flouting other people's differences.

Which leads to an amazing amount of bad books and baaaaaad movies.

*bounces out of thread*

Posts: 969 | Location: frog eaters' land | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Heh. I guess I am sadly misinformed due to distance.

Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seccotine:
As for Asterix, I think the thing with Goscinny is that he never completely grew up and kept seing the world with a child's eye all his life (something I see as a gift, somehow).

That's why I consider his use of stereotypes far less offensive than Uderzo's in the latest books, because Uderzo's are closer to adult xenophobia than to childish amusement about, let's say, British people adding a "cloud of milk" to their mug of "hot water".

The main problem today with Goscinny's work, which I love, is that it had so much success that it keeps being reused and adapted by grown-ups. And, sadly, the kind of grown-ups who think what made his stories funny was that he was flouting other people's differences.

Which leads to an amazing amount of bad books and baaaaaad movies.

Yes. I think that sums it up perfectly.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I've seen these in my local shop. Unsure if they're the new or reprints of old? Anyway, I was recommended them to read with M, as I'm always looking for children's comic books. Sounds like this might not be exactly the right way to go, though, with the racial stereotypes and all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I've seen these in my local shop. Unsure if they're the new or reprints of old? Anyway, I was recommended them to read with M, as I'm always looking for children's comic books. Sounds like this might not be exactly the right way to go, though, with the racial stereotypes and all.

by the sounds of it, you're okay to get the earlier ones, but discuss the steriotypes with her?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I think I'll stick with Tiny Titans Smile and I plan to start reading Bone with her this winter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't deprive a child of asterix just because of the racial steriotypes....

Seriously they are awesome books, my childhood wouldn't have been the same without them and tin tin (Tin tin is way worse for racial steriotypes!)

And since Tin Tin is about to hit the screens and become no doubt another hollywood blockbuster, I am rather wondering how they will deal with that aspect of the books.

Read through one from the library first and see if you would be okay with her reading it? I loved asterix and cleopatra, and asterix and the 12 tasks is a retell of the hercules myth.

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
(Tin tin is way worse for racial steriotypes!)

damn, Tintin au Congo. That was the worst.
Tintin au pays des Soviets was GREAT, though. I have a first edition of that book stashed away at my dad's house. Probably worth a bunch.

Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
BTW, Tintin in China - Blue Lotus, was it? - is one where Hergé actually addresses these issues (because he had been introduced to a Chinese student and they struck up a fast friendship).

I don't speak French; but I bought three Asterix books in Estonia, and yes, they're great for brushing up your language skills. Big Grin

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post