Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    The Hunger Games *possible spoilers*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hunger Games *possible spoilers*
 Login/Join

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted
A dear sweet friend commanded me to read these books and I'm a good little minion so I did.

They were good. Very good in many ways, somewhat lacking in other ways. I mean, it's YA, so it's sometimes lacking in subtlety. But, it's a dystopian future setting, so, subtlety isn't a key survival feature.

It was as intense as Ender's Game in many ways and the ending seemed a bit rushed and predictable, although I think it's the only way it could end.

Devlin asked whether we will go see the movie and then asked if I read the book. He said a friend of his at school keeps recommending it.

I am torn. Whether to let him see the movie or read the book. And it's not the violence that makes me question it - he's seen lots of violent movies, but they've really all been comic book type movies, with costumed heroes and villains or giant robots. The tech in these flicks has always been plausible but fantastic. And the bad guys got killed because they were bad.

I guess that's my problem with The Hunger Games. People, children, are forced to kill.

I can't explain my squickiness any more without being spoilery (sorry that I already have been, but I don't think I've given away more than an Amazon blurb does)

I suppose the only way to know if he can handle it is to let him read it?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
What grade is he in? I've been astounded at my library by the young ages kids have read them - 4th grade, 5th grade. I wouldn't booktalk them to anyone but teens but that's because I'm not their parent. Has he read the Percy Jackson (by Rick Riordan) series yet? If he can handle that, he may be ready to move up to Hunger Games trilogy.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
5th grade. He's certainly capable of reading the Percy Jackson books, but he generally reads the Wimpy Kid books and similar titles.

Which is why he surprised me. I'm used to him wanting to read funny books.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I find that a lot of kids tend to self censor. If he is uncomfortable with the book he will stop reading or not start the other two. I have to agree with Weeblegeddon (*) Fifth grade does some a bit on the younger side of the age range. I have talked to parents about the books. Normally my advice is for the parent to read the book first. (you have already done that.) So my question would be why he is intrested? Hype? Peer presser?

(*)Weeblegeddon? I assume that was formerly known as Weeble?
How did I miss that change?

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I did read the trilogy. When I said to my husband that I should read the book before the movie comes out Dev said that a friend of his keeps telling him he should read it.

I think Weeble changed names after that Doctor Who episode with Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All.

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I think Weeble changed names after that Doctor Who episode with Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All.
Winnah!
Too bad 'Weeblegeddon, Dark Lord of All' didn't fit. :( 

I like Library Lady's point about self-censorship. perhaps he'll lose interest early on. How does he do with scary movies and the like? Hunger Games is quite the departure from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, but who knows, maybe this is where his tastes mature? I think it's awesome that you've already read the books. If you think he can handle the violence and death, I say go ahead. Or maybe you can ask him to try longer chapter books before moving onto YA books.

I love the Percy Jackson series (starts with The Lightning Thief), and it is very popular with his age group and above - and funny if you are familiar with Greek myths ("Bad cow!" being my favorite line ever). It might have the right mixture of funny and action for him, and by talking to him about it you may better be able to judge if he's ready for the decidedly nonfunny Hunger Games.

Bottom line, you seem to be a supportive and aware mom, so if he can't handle the book you'll be there to talk to him about it. He also seems to know his mind about his likes and dislikes and will self censor, as Library Lady said, if he's not ready for it.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I pretty much came to the same conclusion, it's just weird that to know if he can handle it he has to read it.

He hasn't brought it up since then and I'm not sure if he's aware of when the movie is coming out.

I read it as an ebook or I would just foist it off on him. Maybe I can find a paperback cheap or used somewhere. (or perhaps, go to the library Smile)

I think he read the first Percy Jackson book. I know he liked the movie.

ETA: I decided to just explain the plot to him and see if he'd still like to read it. I know I gave away spoilers* but I figured discussing the book before he tried to read might be a way to go. And I was right, after I explained it I asked him, 'Does that sound like a book you'd like to read?' and he said 'No'.

And I did tell him that I don't object to him reading it. I mean, Ender's Game or Lord of the Flies are just as intense and LotF gets read in school, although not 5th grade.

*Mini-me isn't really concerned about spoilers - actually, we kinda like them, it gives us a story point to focus on, otherwise it all just wooshes past.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maeve,

Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
**Read at your own peril, there are some Spoilers mentioned**

I just finished reading the book because I'm always that in-between reader sometimes.

If they are making a movie of it or TV show I tend to read the books first to get an idea. Sometimes it happens where I watch the movie and if I like it then read the book.

Anyway, I picked up the book on I think Thursday. Don't start reading it till around late Friday night (don't recall why I put it off), then yesterday evening (around 9'ish) I pick it right back up and stop at ch 11, then I wake up, go right to reading it and finished it today.

It isn't a long read either, less than 400 pages, so if one puts a day aside they can probably get through the whole thing.

I loved it. After that first chapter I was contemplating whether or not to keep going. I mean it was a little predictable in some places, and others Katniss did what I thought she was gonna do like **SPOILERS** shoot the arrow at the pig after getting mad for being ignored.

I also love the Dystopian future setting of it all. Normally when I see or read about that type of thing it usually is a bleak grey setting almost. Very sterile or harsh. Here it is harsh, but in a more subtle sort of way. Like the Districts themselves. Most of the life there is tough and everyone works really hard to scrape by but that could be used for any kind of setting so it isn't that uncommon of a scene to read about.

Then you find out that there are places like the "Capitol" where all the good and wealthy people reside where life isn't hard and everything is provided.

I agree with the thought that this book is a dark one with the whole purpose of the Hunger Games themselves. Taking children from each District to fight to the death for the entertainment of all. To me that screams Roman Colosseum with the gladiators putting on a show with blood sports and criminals fighting to the death for their freedom while regular people watch with rapt attention, only in this case it is that mixed in with the Running Man isn't it?

What is worse is the whole message of keeping everyone in line by saying "you will tolerate us taking your children else we will wipe you all out."

Anyway, I am definitely gonna keep reading these books and will most definitely see the movie when it comes out.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Still reading the first book, but I'm greatly enjoying it. The author really knows her character, which is vital for a good first-person story, and manages to write her internal monologue in a way that's quite believable. I get the feeling I know exactly how the book's going to end, but I don't much mind because the journey's enjoyable and the last book that ended in a surprising manner was Star Trek TNG/X-Men: Second Contact, but that was only because I didn't think anyone with the most rudimentary grasp of character development could write something that wretched.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
See, if there's a movie coming out and I want to see it, I'll always wait until after the movie to read the book. Because I can improve upon the movie in my mind, but the movie can't improve upon the book for me.

The exception is when I've read a book, but I read it so long ago the information is all kind of misty. That's the best, because then I can compare and contrast a little bit, but never feel like the film is "a travesty, I tell you!" as I do when the book is too fresh in my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I've said this to Maeve before, apologies if I'm repeating myself - I really don't get too affected by the adaptation of a book to a movie. If a movie is good and it's faithfully adapted from a book, it gets an extra round of applause, but if the movie's just plain good, then I'll take it anyway.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
And then you have things like Eragon which was enjoyable only if you never knew or read about the books.

I watched it before the books, thought it was good, then read the books and wonder how anyone could allow that to pass.....oh well, I hear good things about Hunger Games (film wise) so I'm just waiting to go see it tomorrow when my theater does Matinees and the price is cheaper ($4 a ticket for an adult!)

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post