Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Questionable Content Questions
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable Content Questions
 Login/Join

war, death, necro ducks
Picture of Schrödinger's Cat
posted
Can someone please, please tell me what an `emo cutie` (As applied to Raven ) is??!!!

She doesn`t look anything like Emo...

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ~ Oscar Wilde

Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 4468 | Location: Under the table with a bottle of scotch! | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
Surf MySpace sometime.

She's got the black hair in her eyes and the kinda young look... and i'm guessing that since she goes through trends, she's embracing all the emo clothes and mannerisms and all that.

That pic you posted dosen't look emo. No mopeyness, no sweater, and the hair has to be in his eyes, like so *flips own hair down over his eyes*

oh. you can't see me. still...

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feel free to ask me questions about most of the music jokes in the strip, though some of them can be inferred from context. And i have no idea why Jeph thinks The Fiery Furnaces are like Meatloaf... though that did make me look at the lead singer a bit differently when i saw them. Damn you, Jeph!

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post
EMO! EMO PHILLIPS!!

Love him! Came from the town I grew up in....

Funny guy!

oh...not what you guys are getting at I guess....

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
i googled 'emo definition' for you, in case that was what you were wondering about

heh, no one there seems to like emo kids tho....
#8's a definition with a very low level of snark, and some factual sounding bits... Razz

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14237 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
war, death, necro ducks
posted Hide Post
Thanks Anna. Sorry I couldn`t find that musical quote that was bothering you last week.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ~ Oscar Wilde

Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 4468 | Location: Under the table with a bottle of scotch! | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emo is so slippery, though. Technically it refers to kind of music, but last week i heard someone refer to me as 'emo, but not with music', so it can also mean generally emotional/whiny/sensitive... i guess. Jeph probably means the music defination, though

its such an overused word... hell, the trend got written up in Time Magazine ages ago when Dashboard Confessional got big. but i stubornly resist the label!

is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
Emo has been coopted by The Man. I remember when Weezer was "too mainstream" to be classified as Emo. *sigh*

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
emo has become completly meaningless as a label for music, i think. i've heard it applied to everything from Bright Eyes to The Arcade Fire and i'm not sure if i've heard 'real' emo

now i mostly use it as a term for 'man, i'm being too whiny and agnsty about girls. its getting silly'. actually, thats how my friends use it...

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
bright eyes' first records were pretty damn emo, bevore he went all country/electro/bleh.

(edit: and hey, good thread idea!)

Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
war, death, necro ducks
posted Hide Post
I still can`t see how the label fits Raven at all though. Emotional - possibly, but there`s little evidence of that to date. Whiny - She`s always so chipper I suspect her coffee`s been doctored with Prozac, so that leaves sensitive, which covers most girls really, even Faye.

posted Hide Post
nah... you don't really get it

Raven's thing is that she goes through the shallowest parts of subcultures. She's was a Hot Topic Goth (my name for kids who shop at the overpriced mall 'goth' store), but now its cool to dress and look 'emo', so she appropriates the look-- the fringe, the glasses, the outfit. Its part of her character... she shifts 'subcultures' to whats cool. As opposed to Dora, who's going through a genuine subcultural shift (tempering goth with indie) and Faye and Martin (who are pretty much indie kids who know all the music and the catchphrases and all that)

Me? I'm waiting for the day he makes an Architecture in Helsinki joke instead of just raving about them on his sideblog

posted Hide Post
*reads today's strip*

Alright... someone else explain 'furry' and 'yiff', please. I know what they mean, but i really don't want to explain them again

war, death, necro ducks
posted Hide Post
Ah I see. I`m still trying to grok humans.

Furry

quote:
Possibly the strangest sub-culture in all of geekdom. Furries range from being harmless fans fascinated by anthropomorphic characters and animals, to immensely withdrawn or self-abosrbed persons who actually believe, or want to believe, they're eagle-winged fox-like versions of themselves with giant gentalia who wouldn't dare be anything else that could be considered mundane. Furries defy any coventional or unifying definition.
Jody's favorite book is Redwall. She must be a furry.

Yiff

quote:
1) (noun) Sound supposedly made by mating arctic foxes.
2) (acronym) (or more backronym) YIFF or Y. I. F. F. - "Young Incredibly Fuckable Furry"
3) (proper name) YIFF sound server. Program for Linux to help handle audio.
4) (noun) More or less (usually more) sexual act. Commonly used by furries, usually denotes standard intercourse but may denote any kind of sexual behaviour between any type and number of parties (imaginary anthro creatures, humans, animals, even inanimate objects like plushies). Antonym: Yerf.
5) (verb) Like in meaning 4, "to yiff".
6) Furry (or otherwise) artwork depicting yiff as in meaning 4.
7) Expression of joy (by furries)
8) Non-invasive question about sexual feelings/will to mate.

posted Hide Post
Read Something Awful and you'll see alot of these things.

I got in trouble because what some posters joke about i take seriously... reading Something Awful has got me used to furries and other mockable subcultures... last week had people who thought they had Wolf Spirits inside

anyway, do you get my point about Raven? its what she signifies, not what she actually is

is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
Raven's character has changed very much from her first inclusion, as Dora's dimwitted goth friend, to her reintroduction as a major character. And to be fair, she is shallow, and her taste in music is abhorrent, especially to the other characters and the target audience.

However, she is there to challenge the "Us and then" hipster mentality of the characters. Raven joins subcultures becuase it is fun to be a part of one, rather than making a deep social statement about herself. She is by far the NICEST of the cast members, and her character has grown a great deal. I don't think she's as shallow as you would believe, LoY.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
war, death, necro ducks
posted Hide Post
Why she dislikes her true name Blodwyn I don`t know though. It`s a good Welsh name.

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
I googled "emo" and I found this site. Still unsure what it is, but it mad me giggle.
(I thought it was a band every ime I read it, Im so not cool, haha Big Grin)

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hehehehe... 667 definations. my school paper had an article on 'emo' that included pretty much any sensative guy that likes rain and old books.... which kinda annoyed me (so i went home and cried along to Bright Eyes)

and Lone Panda: she was shallow in the sense that Miho said she didn't act 'emo'... and i pointed out that she's only acting 'emo' as a fashion thing. i admit she's nice, and i admit she's growing on me... (today's strip was funny)

but why join subcultures if you're not really into it? why be a Hot Topic goth?

but man... someone needs to pin down the defination of emo... its one of the most overused and ill-defined words around

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
you join subcultures out of a need to belong somewhere. because some (mostly younger) people don't have a strong sense of identity yet, and so going along with whatever subculture their friends happen to be into make them feel more secure, like they are special and different from the norm.

or you're like Raven and you just think the clothes look cute.

Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post