Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Questionable Content Questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable Content Questions
 Login/Join

There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for the flannel shirts when the inevitable grunge revival hits

*counts down*

i dunno... i guess i have a complex 'cause i was always too depressed for the so-called 'goths' in my high school... how does that work?

BTW, cute avatar, Count.

(and man, those urban dictionary people hate scensters.... and myspace... damn... )

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
well, consider this:

1) most goth kids aren't that depressed, they just like the clothes and music, the attitude is just that, attitude.

2) you don't need to be goth to be depressed, and vice-versa. I'm sure a fair number of indie kids, punks, metalheads, hip-hop kids and whatever else also get depressed, but don't advertise it as much because it isn't seen as an acceptable part of those subcultures the way it is with goth.

3) I hereby decree a ban on all flannel shirts used for purely aesthetic purposes. I reserve the right to wear one when it's cold and I'm at work (cause it's a warm and cheap shirt).

4) thanks. he kinda looks like me too.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a flannel shirt that's only for practical value.

I think goths should at least be accepting of a seriously depressed guy, though *le sigh*

Today's strip was good, but i don't like Marten fantasizing about Raven... she seems too young. And... silly.

Penny Arcaded called their strip about Guitar Freaks 'Questionable Orientation'. i liked that

Something Awful has a great article on hipster stereotypes, and while its exagerrated its mostly true. (You can get me by taking the personalities Emo Kid, Pop Kid, Hipster, and Local Scenester and blending them together, editing out the emo music)

Does anyone else read Jeph's other comic, IndieTits? Really funny. "Crying in a van with my friends? Jeez Sufijan Stevens, did someone punch you in the vagina?"

Funny stuff. Still need to get the new Sufijan Stevens album

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
heheh... pretty funny article.

posted Hide Post
its weird 'cause its alot more... respectful then most SA articles, and while i guess its snarky its also mostly true.

except for the bit about thinking Greil Marcus is an asshole. he might be an asshole, but he's also a damn good writer

seriously, i once pulled the 'Local Scene Kid' thing on St.Barb and got her out of the house to see a show several continents away... i'm pretty proud of that

in conclusion, i need more MySpace comments. and i don't think Marten/Raven is a good pairing

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
no, it's not a good pairing, but it works for comedy purposes. we all know who Marten really wants to be with anyway.

posted Hide Post
Conor Oberst?

posted Hide Post
*reads today's strip*
*feels uncool*
I'll explain today's comic after a nice long trip to the record store. I get the Sonic Youth bit 'cause i've got two versions of Diamond Sea; one's a 4 minute single and the other has 30 minutes (literally) of instrumental jamming between the lyrics.
Modest Mouse's rough vocals resemble Johnny Cash, i guess, though i thought of them more as ripping off Tom Waits.

But yeah.... i'm not as cool as I seem. I'm explain the jokes in a few weeks, I promise.

war, death, necro ducks
Picture of Schrödinger's Cat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by St.CountZero:
no, it's not a good pairing, but it works for comedy purposes. we all know who Marten really wants to be with anyway.

Actually it`s quite logical when you think it over. Who wouldn`t at least consider a girl who`s willing to grab your ass? "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and so on... Wink

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ~ Oscar Wilde

Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 4468 | Location: Under the table with a bottle of scotch! | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would never work. Trust me, its really hard to say 'No, you're right. I can't judge you for liking Linkin Park. All taste is subjective' without hesitation.

Besides, Dora's into him, she's older, she's got better taste and she's closer friends with Faye... so Marten dating her will make Faye even MORE jealous, thus making her more likely to finnally make a final move on him

posted Hide Post
one basic annotation to today's strip, since he gets mentioned alot: Stephen Malkmus was the lead singer of hugely influential California early 90s low-fi rocker types Pavement (how influential? i first found out about them via a HUGE article in the New York Times). he's got a solo carrer now, though his latest album is with The Jicks

can't say i listen to him tons, but he gets mentioned enough in the strip. Sonic Youth are another HUGELY influential indie band. other posters can probably tell you more about them, but they're really good from what i've heard

the other bands mentioned today are hot new bands. been meaning to get into Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, since they've got good buzz

oh, and the Grateful Dead probably don't need annotating... American hippie/jam band with a HUGE cult following in the states. not sure how well non-USAnians know them

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
well, a lot of songs on the last S.Y. cd are quite long and jammy, a far fetch from "nic fit".

and I don't think they're pairing them for sound-alike qualities as much as just being good fits, like, they would make good music if they played together, or something.

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
and LoN... c'mon, it's the Dead. people may not be as much into music as you or me, but really.

posted Hide Post
*shrug* I have no idea what pop culture is known everywhere, so i figured i ought to mention everything.
On a completly unrelated but amusing note, my last boss in Aus was an ex-Deadhead. From Long Island.
It was odd.

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
deadheads confuse the shit out of me. I just don't get it.

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
today's strip- ouch.

Girded for battle
Picture of aisha
posted Hide Post
Woaah, high drama!
It's kinda weird, the strip is usually so.. understated cool. As in, it can be enjoyed on a purely intellectual level, the characters are real but mostly they're total smartarses. It's like Jeph is going emo on us, or has at least thrown an un-ironic heavy metal guitar solo in.. Wink

Poor Faye indeed. Wonder what'll happen now?

Posts: 1312 | Location: Glasgow | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
war, death, necro ducks
Picture of Schrödinger's Cat
posted Hide Post
If Jeph were predictable, how many of us would carry on reading? It`s like the guest strips, it`s good to have a change of pace from time-to-time... and I agree about poor Faye. This has got to be the first time I`ve been able to sympathize with her.. but then I am a Dora/Marten fan.....

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ~ Oscar Wilde

Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? ~ Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 4468 | Location: Under the table with a bottle of scotch! | Registered: October 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I did however enjoy Pintsize's DUMDUMDUM!

working on his degree in brapping
Picture of Cobalt
posted Hide Post
am i the only one who considers the current storyline the height of boring melodrama?

WARNING: the preceding message is not to be taken personally. Keep away from children.

Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo

Posts: 6516 | Location: The Diaspora | Registered: January 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post