Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Hunter S Thompson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter S Thompson
 Login/Join

There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted
Can't be bothered to find the old thread.
Here is where we put away all the drinking and the silliness and talk about the writing. I have only read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. I need to read more, especially his new book about the latest election.

Recomendations?

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoggoth's Most Peculiar
Picture of denver
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed The Rum Diary a great deal.

I bought Better Than Sex a while ago, but it became one of those books that for one reason or another I never got the time or inclination to read. I will now, but it won't be the same when I read it.

Posts: 3719 | Location: Edinburgh, UK | Registered: October 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Squint as you approach lest his moxie blind you.
Picture of Uskglass
posted Hide Post
Thompson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head today, by the way.

Just FYI. :S

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" . . . . "Absolutely! If we just put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes we can just rolllll around..."

Posts: 261 | Location: USA | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(thats why i made the thread. i posted a memorial thread on Flame Wars and hijacked the Deaths and Zeitgeist threads with much profanity)

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Squint as you approach lest his moxie blind you.
Picture of Uskglass
posted Hide Post
I see. I don't read Flame Wars. Smile

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" . . . . "Absolutely! If we just put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes we can just rolllll around..."

Posts: 261 | Location: USA | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The World lost a great man with Thompsons death =(. I've only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Great Shark Hunt though, really need to read more of his stuff. Also, his Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas DVD commentary is the best commentary EVER ("IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHHH!!! I just love that scene, it cracks me fucking up."-ish ramblings for 2 hours = heaven).

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indrid Cold
posted Hide Post
So ... thoughts on his suicide?

An expected and respected fulfillment of the great Gonzo storyline?

Or a deplored and wasteful waste of a human existence?

I know the man (everyone) has the right and previledge to exit life as they choose ...

But what do his fans left behind think of his self-extinction?

'Not that you die, but that you die like sheep.'

Posts: 1211 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of phool
posted Hide Post
I am torn between Warren Ellis' "this is cowardly" and the "well, if he was really in that much pain, better not to suffer needlessly" opinions. I am very much in favor of ending needless pain, but leaving his corpse for his son to find strikes of inconsideration. Mostly I'm in mourning. Still. The only sane man in the world, as far as I'm concerned. It reeks of the End of Times.

Relax, you fiends! I'm only joking.
http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=phool2056

Posts: 574 | Location: Santa Barbara, Ca USA | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what's your thought on his funeral plans?
(those being having his ashes shot out of giant cannon shaped like a gonzo fist)

i'm torn between "this is the coolest thing EVER" and "having your ashes shot into space might be slightly cooler"

but my first response was "HELL YEA!"

half the man he used to be
posted Hide Post
this thread is 6 years old so i highly doubt anyone reads it but as a life-long HST fan i would highly recommend "the proud highway". it's a collection of his letters (i think letters reveal the soul of a writer so completely, and letter writing has really become a dying art)

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly love what Thompson did with Gonzojournalism as a craft, but'Fear and Loathing' as a book was just a mess and boring. Just one freakout hallucination to the next. The character is lost and detached.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half the man he used to be
posted Hide Post
of course this is just one person's opinion, but wasn't that the point? i kind of took away from that book a sense of loss, a kind of eulogy for a lifestyle that was changing into something darker....in which case, it would make sense for the character to feel lost and detached; all familiar signposts are now gone

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I met his second wife, Anita, a few months ago. She was very friendly. She came over to speak to me and I didn't know who she was until she introduced herself. It was really odd though.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2662 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uskglass:
I see. I don't read Flame Wars. Smile

pretentious cunt. good you wont see what i wrote about you there..
ps wish i didnt read this members post..

too bad HST didnt go on a little rampage before he went out..

Posts: 23 | Location: deep in your thoughts | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domitella
posted Hide Post
(the posts have dates on them, sweetie)

Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particular job. - Brian Clough

Posts: 20846 | Location: Lon-don | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I just popped in to see what had been updated in this thread and got chills (I was accompanied by the first scene from Jaws in the background mind you, which may have aided my horror)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2662 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post