New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hobbit!
 Login/Join

half the man he used to be
posted
i looked around but didn't see a thread for the upcoming film, and i just watched the premiere of the trailer last night (over and over!) and i'm pumped about it!!

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I'm not too sure about these blockbuster prequels. It'll just be more of the same with more CGI creatures. I wonder what Middle-Earth's version of pod racing will be.

EDIT: Dammit, no one fell for it. YES I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER 2012!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Furious,

Posts: 32901 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Gandalf!
Gollum!

Hang on... Isn't it in two parts? That means it won't be done until 2013? Gah!!!!!!

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDIT: Dammit, no one fell for it. YES I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER 2012!

HAHAHA!!!

and Murphy, i feel the same way! it's gonna be two years until we see Smaug and the Lonely Mountain....but when i saw the trailer and The Shire and yes, Gandalf and Gollum, it felt like coming home...can't really express how excited i am to go back, in the hands of PJ and company...AND SEE BEORN

little worried about the dwarves though, they'd better not screw that up

The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
It's still amazing that Amy and I were in Hobbiton this past February. They spruced the set up just for us (and to film a movie I guess). And the Shire really is that beautiful.

Can't wait to see the movie.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I read The Hobbit in erm... 6th grade? Maybe? It was a book we read in class. But I loved it so much I read it several times afterwards. Never had a clue there were other books. Then years later I was 16 and dating a big ol' geek and he had the maps on his walls in a game room in his basement and he couldn't believe that I loved The Hobbit, but never read the trilogy. I found a cheapy set of paperbacks and re-read The Hobbit, tried to read The Lord of the Rings, but that didn't really happen until I was 18 and insomnia kicked in. I do love the trilogy, but The Hobbit is my favourite. It seems much more of a delightful adventure story, all encompassed in one book, with a beginning a middle and an end. I never really needed more.

It's so mean to tease us for such a long time!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalypses:
but when i saw the trailer and The Shire and yes, Gandalf and Gollum, it felt like coming home

I definitely know what you mean, I had the same feeling, although the trailer also had a few of the goofy touches that I felt Jackson needlessly introduced into the trilogy. But as soon as you got to the part where the dwarves start singing all of that vanished and the rest just seemed great. In particular the scene with Gollum sent a little shiver up my spine, and Rivendell looked great.

(By the way, for anyone who might not have seen the trailer yet, here's a link)

Should be interesting. And I hope that characters like Beorn don't wind up on the cutting room floor. Seeing Radagast would be nice too, since he didn't get a chance to appear in the movies of the trilogy.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
If we're going to discuss the movie I think this should be moved away from Other Writers.

Anyway, I just watched the trailer because of all of your shiny words. Big Grin It was pretty cool!
My dad bought the book for me when I was still small enough to find it impossibly fat and I remember being astonished that my dad put such faith in my reading abilities. He said this was one of the great classics of his childhood.

And then I read it and it was the most amazing and the most scary story ever (oh God that bit about the spiders! and they almost died in the barrel! Argh!)

This thread makes me want to read it again.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah i wasn't sure where to put it, but i kind of figured that this would work since i was pretty sure conversation would spill back and forth from the movie to the books....

i agree that the book is one of those perfect concise works....nothing missing, nothing out of place

and i wonder how they'll work Radagast in too...

so jealous that some of you got to visit, they're supposed to be keeping the sets in place for future visitors so maybe someday

and Wanderer, yeah, when the dwarves started singing i got goosebumps on my goosebumps!

Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
quote:
but when i saw the trailer and The Shire and yes, Gandalf and Gollum, it felt like coming home

QFT

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
My mom read the Narnia books aloud to my brother and I when we were 4 and 6. And then. My dad read us The Hobbit.
It was the most amazing and wonderful and gripping story I'd ever heard.
I read it myself again as soon as Dad finished reading it to us.

I cannot wait for the movie and if they've cut Beorn out I will literally cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boldly going somewhere
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2556 | Location: Not Honolulu, Hawai'i | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
speaks Sanskrit in three different languages
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
I can't wait! Tangentially related, but they're also making a big-screen remake of Dune that's due to be released in 2013 or 2014!

------------------------------
"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
speaks Sanskrit in three different languages
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
Watched the trailer. Is it just me? Or is Cate Blanchett one of the most beautiful women on the planet?

------------------------------
"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Ok, I hate to say it but I saw the cartoons before I read the books. The Hobbit was made for TV. The Lord of the Rings (that was really just Fellowship of the Ring) was made for the movie theater. Then there was the Return of the King as a musical. I have only ever met one person besides me that saw it when it originally aired. It wasn’t until I was in my twenty’s that I read the books. At the time I thought they were ok. I had just finished the Thomas Covenant series and liked that better. When the trilogy was being made in to movies, I listened to the all the audio books, and fell in love with it. I’m not thrilled that they are doing the hobbit in two parts. They managed the trilogy in three movies.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelJOwens:
Watched the trailer. Is it just me? Or is Cate Blanchett one of the most beautiful women on the planet?
I wouldn't dispute that, but - what would she be doing in a movie of The Hobbit?

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
posted Hide Post
Haven't you heard? Cate Blanchett is Smaug. Razz

Thanks to this thread I've just reread The Hobbit. OMG it is wonderful. How awesome is the writing? THIS awesome.
It's like listening to a master storyteller infront of the fire. It's funny and whimsical and scary and exciting. I could listen to stories like that forever and ever. Smile Smile

*going right on to read LOTR again* (But I remember the writing being less wonderful.)

ETA: Also, my hobbit book is falling apart My dad bought it 1981 and it has stains and rips all over the place from my snacking while reading habit.

__

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eardstapa:
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelJOwens:
I wouldn't dispute that, but - what would she be doing in a movie of The Hobbit?

Rumor has it that the movies will go into detail about something only mentioned in passing in the LOTR books and appendices: the White Council (Gandalf, Saurman, Galadriel, Elrond, et al) driving the Necromancer (actually Sauron in disguise) out of his fortress Dol Guldor, which is in the southern tip of Mirkwood and quite close to Lorien.

And even if that's not true, Galadriel may well be visiting Rivendell or Thranduil's kingdom when the group passes through.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Yep. And that kinda makes sense, because otherwise you'd have a story where Gandalf keeps on disappearing at inopportune moments and re-appearing without much explanation. But if you look at the confirmed cast you can see what direction the story will take.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

has no member title
posted Hide Post
What's so bad about that, though? It's what happens in the book. I kinda liked it.

__

Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but imagine that happening in a film... wouldn't it be kinda weird?

---------------
*is currently impressed*