Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    presents for little girls!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

presents for little girls!
 Login/Join

stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted
I have 3 nieces, aged 6, 3 and 1... looking for books to give them for christmas.

any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra Boynton! It has very silly songs, some by semi-famous people, and I love Boynton's illustrations.

She has lots of other books too, all silly and colourful and fun.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25427 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I gave my niece "Where the Sidewalk Ends." Every kid needs a copy.

Posts: 10768 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
6 - paper bag princess, depends on their reading age, 6 varies a lot, beartrix Potter stuff, Gaiman kids books swapped my dad for 2 goldfish and the wolves in the walls

3 - the lion in the meadow, the very hungry Caterpillar, Hairy Macleary

1 - bit young for books? those chewable ones maybe?

Off the top of my head, those have been ones I've given to my nieces and nephews

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
1 - bit young for books? those chewable ones maybe?

Never too young, but at aged 1 all books are chewable! Board books (rather than paper ones) are best, and those little ones you hang onto a pushchair - "buggy buddies" - are great.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15845 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
may or may not be cerulean
Picture of Oh hey, jupiter!
posted Hide Post
I volunteer at the Center for Children's Books and they put out an annotated Guide to Gift Books every year. I can't vouch for the books on the list personally, but the Center staff are pretty on their game.

------------------------------
renata
"Neil Gaiman, what are you doing in my falafel?"
--Mary Ellen on Arthur

Posts: 845 | Location: Champagne, Illinoise | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Okay, remembering that you are UKanian, I checked to make sure none of the titles are different and that they are available via (at least) amazon.co.uk.

Here ya go, more than you asked for:

Age 1 - We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury (board book edition) or any board book by Peter Horacek that looks appealing to you (bright chunky colors)

Age 3 - Rainbow Fish (Pfister) or Pout Pout Fish (Diesen/Hanna) or Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type (Cronin).

Julia Donaldson (Gruffalo, etc.) or Mo Willems' Knufflebunny, Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed, Pigeon books, etc.

Maybe Hibernation Station by Michelle Meadows, which I am planning on getting for two very rambunctious toddlers.

There's always Goodnight Moon (Margaret Wise Brown) for that obsessive-compulsive phase Razz but her parents would kill you.

The various scanimation books (Gallop, Waddle, Star Wars, etc.) by Rufus Butler Seder are cool and great gifts, but are perhaps too easy to damage for the littlest ones or the roughest ones. Check them out, though, they're neat.

Age 6 - depends on her interest and reading level... If she likes nonfiction/animals, any recent book by Nic Bishop is usually well-researched and has great photographs.

Our most popular Easy Readers or Early Readers are the ones based on tv shows, but out of them all Arthur (Marc Tolon Brown) is the only one I don't actively dislike! Your mileage may vary in the UK.

My pick would be my old standby How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss. Oh, heck, anything by Seuss.
Except his WWII propaganda.  Maybe when they're older.

Actually, she might like those scanimation books I mentioned above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Weeble,

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10997 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:
If she likes nonfiction/animals, any recent book by Nic Bishop is usually well-researched and has great photographs.

He is probably well stoked in the local libraries, though that might just be NZ.

Posts: 9896 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
blueberry girl by mr neil and we're going on a bear hunt would both be fabulous.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20599 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stole the last root beer
Picture of Mischief the Polarbear
posted Hide Post
already given blueberry girl, as well as wolves in walls and day I swapped my dad... I know my duties, Auntie Smaug and auntie Hal! Smile I also know they have Hungry caterpillar (my past christmas gifts) as well as Hairy McNairy and a couple of the other suggestions.

And to everyone, thanks so much - and especially Weeble for checking out if they're available in the UK, though I have to confess they're for kiddos in Australia, which a number of these titles aren't available - but went for Goodnight Moon and paper bag princess.

Thanks everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(terms and conditions apply)

Posts: 8804 | Location: where do you think, you idiot? | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post