New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cory Doctorow
 Login/Join

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted
I tried Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom a while back, didn't like it, still haven't read it. It felt like Bradbury or Vonnegut, just speculative fiction, not so much on the science.

Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town is just plain weird. I used to wonder if it was possible to synthesize Neil Gaiman and William Gibson, and Cory Doctorow is maybe the closest thing to that golden mean, but in this book it didn't work for me. Gods and tech, I can dig that, but the childhood origin story never even came close to making sense.

Makers and Little Brother were my favorites. Still thinking about For the Win, but that might be the best one so far. There's action, big ideas, a good climax. I haven't played mmorpgs in years, but that stuff worked pretty well, with some flaws. I'd be interested to hear what gamers and non-gamers thought of the mmorpg sections.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZoneSeek,

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
i enjoyed little brother and recommended it to my friends son, but didn't get it for him.

he's an intelligent kid and he might be tempted to learn more about hacking, but if he doesn't learn enough fast enough he could get both himself and his mother into trouble! Razz

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Just ordered "For the Win" for the lib. Haven't read it yet. Loved "Little Bother".

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Lots of typos in my downloaded For the Win. I've counted 11 so far, I'm keeping track and will check if I can submit a corrected version.

I wonder if maybe this is too dark and heavy for a YA book. Several deaths, not a lot of laughs, and some fairly advanced economics infodumps.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
From Len Peralta via Boing Boing:

Heh, Dr. M. He must be stopped!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZoneSeek,

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I read and enjoyed Makers, I may read some more of his stuff as and when i find it.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
So I'm going to guess there's not a big following here? Or just that people don't have a lot to say. Thanks to Smaug I just discovered Doctorow and will be reading his stuff shortly, starting with Little Brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
I'm reading Little Brother just now, and really thoroughly enjoying it.

Hooray.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
and now i'm wanting to read another one of his ... *looks at pile of unread books* ... soon.

~

CHIKKINZ?

Always the April Fool
Picture of Manxom Vroom
posted Hide Post
I greatly enjoyed "Little Brother," but haven't been able to get into any of his other novels. I also read Boing Boing every day.

Also, I feel compelled to say that I attended the Clarion SF&F Writer's Workshop with Cory way back in 1992. He was a star, even back then.

Posts: 10542 | Location: Detroit Rock City | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
I read Little Brother and For The Win so far. Liked both a lot and tend to give them as a birthday present to the teenage kids of my friends - to spark some political thinking ... maybe ... prolly not, but still!
I just started to listen to his podcast. I learn a lot there being the technic Know-nothing that I am.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Just got a free ebook down load of "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom". - Liked it.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post