New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peter S. Beagle
 Login/Join

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted
Come on, all you Last Unicorn fans. Did you see the animated movie first, then read the book, like me? You have to read it, as is often the case, the book is better than the movie.

Writer types like Neil often express admiration for Beagle's other famous book, A Fine and Private Place. I've often heard that AFAPP is better than The Last Unicorn. It's not. It's good, gracefully written, but talky and not much happens.

Stardust has too much in common with The Last Unicorn, in both stories, there's a scene where the protagonist is bound to an amorous talking tree.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
I read the book first then saw the movie. (They're sloooooowwwly working on a live action version of the movie.)

Didya know Mr. Beagle is going to be writing a sequel to TLU? He finished Two Hearts which is a bridge novella between TLU and the TLU sequel.

I never read A Fine and Private Place, buit did read Innkeeper's Song which was enjoyable but no where near on the level of TLU in my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12437 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
(anyone order the book on cd? That thing Neil posted on his blog? Did you get yours yet? When are they shipping? I havne't gotten mine yet)

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daysleeper and I both ordered.

In the last newsletter they sent, they said the book wouldn't be published until June. Haven't heard anything since then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 12437 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
TLU hooked me by the first page, by the very first paragraph, I was filled with a burning conviction that normal existence could not resume until I possessed this book.

quote:
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

I loved the butterfly as a kid, and I love him even more now that I get some of the poetry. I should post an exegesis of all the butterfly's references, Shakespeare, Yeats, Rostand, Donne, etc

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This just in re: Two Hearts and the audio book

quote:

Hello!

This is a blanket email to all of our customers. I've been trying to call as
many of you as possible, in order to personally update you on the status of
both the LAST UNICORN audiobook and the limited edition TWO HEARTS
hardcover. But while a noble idea -- and a lot of fun, getting to chat with
you -- there just isn't enough time to call ALL of you AND keep the
manufacturing on track.

So I'm writing. I hope that will be sufficient.

As some of you have already found out, through my calls, we ran into major
delays with the vendors doing our manufacturing.

Some of those delays have to do with our being a small company doing
business with the same manufacturers used by the major media businesses. The
good part of that is it means we'll get great quality. The bad part is that
when Disney or Warner Brothers or some similar company calls the
manufacturer to say they need 50,000 extra copies of something, right away,
it isn't the other big companies that end up getting shuffled to make it
work -- just little companies like ours. This is immensely frustrating, but
there isn't anything we can do about it except work hard and eventually get
so big we have more clout.

Some of the delays have been purely technical -- graphic designs that look
great on the computer screen don't always look good on the printed mockup,
and making sure audio and graphic files are configured to the manufacturer's
preferred formats is a complex process with lots of back and forth for
correction.

And some of the delays are just plain irksome. At the beginning of this
process our preferred bindery for TWO HEARTS completely abandoned all book
printing that wasn't full color, forcing us to pick another company. And
*that* company threw us a curve a few weeks ago by suddenly announcing that
the cloth we chose for the cover wasn't available after all. They were happy
to offer several alternatives...but the ones that didn't change the budget
looked and felt bad, and the ones that were good would have added $3-4 PER
BOOK to our manufacturing costs. Since we are giving TWO HEARTS away for
free, and there are going to be 3000 copies, we couldn't afford having the
budget suddenly leap by $9-12,000 dollars. So we've had to shift gears and
go with yet a different bindery in order to get the quality we wanted at a
price the budget would support.

So please accept my apologies and the apologies of everyone involved with
Conlan. We're working our tails off to get everything back on track and out
the door, and we hope you can be patient with us while we solve all the
problems and make things work.

The irony in this, of course, is that the high-tech stuff we thought would
be difficult, back when we started, has been fairly easy to debug. It's the
old-technology stuff like printing boxes and books and inserts that has been
the big headache. Astonishing!

As for the current schedule, barring further surprises...

...we expect the MP3-On-CD audiobook edition to start shipping in 3-4
weeks (though we're pushing hard to make that sooner).

...we expect the 8-CD audiobook edition to start shipping in 6-7 weeks.

...and we expect TWO HEARTS to start shipping in 7-8 weeks (here, too,
we are pushing to speed things up if possible).

For those of you who ordered signed Peter S. Beagle books like THE LAST
UNICORN, TAMSIN, UNICORN SONATA, etc., Peter is now back from an author's
tour of Slovenia and will be signing all the stacked-up orders at the
beginning of next week.

That's the news. Thanks for your patience, your understanding, and above all
your support of Peter's work. We're doing this for him.

Connor Cochran
Publisher, Conlan Press

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
Myself I saw the movie first...and I've actually yet to read the book, though it's on my list of "must read when I have time"..still, I can't really see a sequel doing it justice. to me the magic of the story has always been that the continuation is in the readers imagination. We know the unicorn lives, it is up to us to figure out how..to sort of, discover her inside each of us...

The movie frightened me somewhat as a child, but I was entranced by it none-the-less. Now that I watch it when I'm older, it seems more poignent, more...serious somehow. There are parts of it that, unabashedly, make me cry my eyes out..

Definitely one of my all time favourites. It caught me a)with the title song Wink and b) with the very opening scene

quote:

Then why do the leaves never fall here? or the snow? Why is it always spring here? I tell you there is one unicorn left in the world, and as long as it lives in this forest we'll find no game to hunt here. Farewell my noble beast, for you are the last

Gave me the shivers...

Anyone heard anything new about the supposed live action version?

~You're in the Moulin Rouge babe! Your next month's rent depends on it!~

~We'd be so lost...if we weren't 'us'"~

Posts: 4138 | Location: Enchanted Mists | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jasmine:

Anyone heard anything new about the supposed live action version?

Here's the latest news from the newsletter:

quote:

It wouldn't be a RAVEN without an update on the announced live-action version of The Last Unicorn. This time the structure is inevitably a bit like one of those good news/bad news jokes, however.

The Good News: Continent Films, the company which has held an option on the property for the last five years, recently paid the Big Movie Money needed to exercise the buyout clause on their deal with Granada Media, the English company which owns the rights to the 1982 animated movie. This buyout fee was $250,000, so their action shows serious commitment.

The Bad News: The announced budget is a third what Peter believes it should be, and he hates their plan to create his unicorn by filming a trained horse (or horses) and modifying the picture with CGI later. If that's how things are going to be, he'd rather they not make the film at all.

The Good News: Continent says they are bringing a new producer on board who is a Hollywood heavyweight, someone with a background in this kind of movie, someone who can get things done and get the budget increased.

The Bad News: Peter has heard this kind of rah-ah before, and it has never led anywhere. It may not lead anywhere this time either.

The Good News: IF the name being mentioned is for real, and IF the deal goes through, it would radically change the situation for the better.

So let's all cross our fingers. In the meantime, it turns out that Peter's 1978 film contract for The Last Unicorn granted him all media rights in any sequels that he writes. Now that "Two Hearts" is coming out, and a full sequel novel is in the works, Peter is free to try and start up his own direct cinematic sequel to The Last Unicorn if he can find an interested producer or studio. That search has begun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
I agree about the CGI touch-up, somehow that would just seem so wrong.

What did they use to create the unicorns in Legend (or *was* that CGI? I think it was before it's time wasn't it?)...because that worked very well indeed...

All this reminds me I really should watch the movie again

Posts: 4138 | Location: Enchanted Mists | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think in Legend they just attached the horns somehow to the heads of horses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's what I thought...but it still worked well...

badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jasmine:
Myself I saw the movie first...and I've actually yet to read the book, though it's on my list of "must read when I have time"..still, I can't really see a sequel doing it justice. to me the magic of the story has always been that the continuation is in the readers imagination. We know the unicorn lives, it is up to us to figure out how..to sort of, discover her inside each of us...

The movie frightened me somewhat as a child, but I was entranced by it none-the-less. Now that I watch it when I'm older, it seems more poignent, more...serious somehow. There are parts of it that, unabashedly, make me cry my eyes out..

Definitely one of my all time favourites. It caught me a)with the title song Wink and b) with the very opening scene

quote:

Then why do the leaves never fall here? or the snow? Why is it always spring here? I tell you there is one unicorn left in the world, and as long as it lives in this forest we'll find no game to hunt here. Farewell my noble beast, for you are the last

Gave me the shivers...

me too! (except for the frightened part). I loved that movie so much from the first time i saw it. It helps that i was fascinated with unicorns and other mythical beasts anyway when i was a little girl.

the first time i watched it as an adult, after not having seen it in many years, the scene where Molly first sees the unicorn really grabbed me by the heart.

quote:

Where have you been? Damn you, where have you been?

I am here now.

And what good is it to me that you're here now? Where were you twenty years ago, ten years ago? How dare you, how dare you come to me now, when I am this?

i didn't see exactly when she meant when i was a little girl, but i understood it then. And the way the actress delivers those lines in the movie . . .

btw, i see on IMDB that Mia Farrow, who was the unicorn 23 years ago, is going to play Molly Grue in the new version. Isn't that poetic!

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
Oh is she?

There's something very poetic and very sad about that...

And yes, that bit with Molly really got me when I was a bit older...the other one that has *always* hit a chord with me is

quote:

I can feel this body dying all around me.

and
quote:
I am afraid of this mortal body. More afraid than I was of the red bull.

And, more so than even those

quote:

Soon there will be a human woman in that body, and no unicorn left at all

Okay, now I *really* have to watch the movie...

*goes to dig for it*

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
non sequiter: the search engine on this board works very well! I was able to find a Peter S Beagle thread without being redundant and starting another one.

I read The Last Unicorn before watching the movie. TLU remains one of my very favourite books. A Fine and Private Place is, eh, ok. A good one that may be hard to find, I See By My Outfit. it chronicles a trip he made with a friend, on motorbikes, across the USA.

There's a collection of short stories that's interesting. Come Lady Death and Lila the Werewolf are good and LtW introduces us to Farrell, a character later used in The Folk of the Air. That book held my interest, but not as raptly as TLU.

I love the movie, but the book is really my favourite. The poetry, the poetic flow of the story, the way everything just fits.

And yes, it has the same feel as Stardust, a perfectly good, well told story, to entertain us.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25376 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay I'm going to go pick-up this book, that quote above hooked me already.

Is the movie also called "The Last Unicorn" and it is animated?

Posts: 182 | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Yes, the movie is also called The Last Unicorn and it is animated.

There's a definite Japanese influence, but I think it must have been done before all the anime stuff.

my favourite poem from the book:

If I danced with my feet
As I dance in my dreaming
As graceful and gleaming
As Death in disguise.
Oh, that would be sweet,
But then would I hunger
To be ten years younger,
Or wedded, or wise?

lurvlurvlurv this book and I think I shall read it next, 'cos I got Stephen King's Darktower series thingy book one out of the library and well... halfway through it's still bloody boring and not making a bit of sense!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25376 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the last unicorn.

I read the first 3 books in the darktower series and they are good but I found I really had to pay attention to what I was reading just to keep track of all the stuff that was going on.
After the 1st three books I lost interest with the long wait in between books - but I guess they are all done now 7 in all.

Posts: 182 | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Peter

Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
that link didn't work for me.

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the link had to do with this (reposted from the Conlan Press site)
quote:
THIS IS NOT RIGHT

In the last two years, London-based Granada Media (a multibillion-dollar entertainment and news conglomerate) has sold over five hundred thousand DVDs and videotapes of THE LAST UNICORN. They've also made cable broadcast deals for it in several different countries, and they sold the live action remake rights for a quarter of a million dollars.

The film is based on Peter S. Beagle's famous book. He also wrote the screenplay. The film is as good as it is because he put everything he had into it.

And you know what? Granada Media refuses to pay Peter what they owe him. They've made millions on his creativity. They owe him hundreds of thousands of dollars. But they won't pay up.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT
In 1978, Peter wrote the screenplay for the animated LORD OF THE RINGS. It took draft after draft written under ferocious deadline pressure to make everything work. For all this effort, producer Saul Zaentz paid Peter a "consulting fee" of only $5,000.

The animated movie failed at the box office, but the power of Peter's script worked its magic on a young Peter Jackson, inspiring him to go read Tolkien's books. Where that led...well, we all know where that led.

But we don't all know that Saul Zaentz has gotten nearly two hundred million dollars out of his Tolkien rights since THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING was released. And we don't all know that the Saul Zaentz Company has so far refused to share any of that with Peter S. Beagle, not even as a goodwill gesture in respect for what his work made possible.

Adding insult to injury, when asked to do the right thing they claim they've never profited from owning the Tolkien rights.

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT RIGHT
On top of everything else, there are serious family matters going on. Rebecca Soyer Beagle, Peter's 100 year-old mother, is facing major medical bills and assisted living costs because her appointed trustee stole everything she had and left nothing to support her in her final years. Peter had to spend seven months and the last of his savings waging a legal battle to take over his mother's care. Only now that he's won, he has almost nothing left to take care of her with.

It goes on to say how to help with donations/letters

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post