New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Pratchett
 Login/Join

Picture of LowTech
posted
He's perhaps most well known as the namesake of ancient turtle Psephophorus Terrypratchetti, but some of us are familiar with his printed works as well. Ook! ("Pass me another banananana daquiri and that bowl of peanuts.")

LowTech

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mrrowr?
Picture of Meadra
posted Hide Post
His next book, Night Watch, comes out in November and it's from my favorite series, the City Watch!!!

Meadra

Head of the Guild of the Damask Rose

We're not lost. We're locationally challenged.
-- John M. Ford

Posts: 5206 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is currently hovering somewhere near Saturn
Picture of Limertilly
posted Hide Post
Hooray! Mind you, I haven't even managed to read his most recent one, but I have got a signed copy of the previous one, along with my favourite ever, Soul Music.

***Here today, tomorrow next week!***

Posts: 26263 | Location: your left ear | Registered: June 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jello
posted Hide Post
I've read the first four Diskworld books, really enjoyed them. I'll work my way up through the series as I can. =)

Oddly, the first time I tried to read Colour of Magic, I just couldn't do it.. got about ten pages in and just couldn't keep going. Second time, I started laughing and breezed right through...

---
jello.
aka aron.

Posts: 1035 | Location: Cumming, GA USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Colour of Magic can hit you kind of off some times. Once you get to Mort, it's pretty much straight laughter from there on out.

So, a question to everyone: Who would win the staring contest, Lord Vetinari or Granny Weatherwax?

-------------------------
In the end, I'm left with a selective memory and the tyranny of eternal hope.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mrrowr?
Picture of Meadra
posted Hide Post
I'd have to go with Granny, probably because she wouldn't be there any more but rather "borrowing" someone else.

Meadra

Head of the Guild of the Damask Rose

We're not lost. We're locationally challenged.
-- John M. Ford

Posts: 5206 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
What is the Citywatch series? I've only heard of discworld before.

besides Good Omens, I've read/listened to Equal Rites & Thief of Time. I want to tell anyone looking in that you can jump in at any book it seems. You don't need to read the 20something previous books in the series to enjoy each new one that comes out. Honest.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Trendy Nihilist
Picture of mtxx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
What is the Citywatch series? I've only heard of discworld before.

The discworld actually consists of smaller series of books with different main characters (Rincewind the Wizard, the Night Watch, the Witches, Death + a few stand alone books, like the magnificent "Small Gods".)

"Colour of Magic" is the first Rincewind book.

"Wyrd Sisters" (or maybe "Equal Rites", although theres only ONE of the Witches in that one) is the first Witches book.

"Mort" is the first Death book.

"Guards! Guards!" is the first Night Watch book.

- Michael

Posts: 13534 | Location: Denmark | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
your special friend
Picture of dayvd
posted Hide Post
i'd say granny would win also. she makes alligators' eyes water.

i love his work. makes me laugh so much.

Posts: 3684 | Location: seattle | Registered: July 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LowTech
posted Hide Post
The new Discworld novel, Night Watch, will be released in November 2002. Questions will be asked and others will be answered.

WILL we discover how the Librarian got in touch with his inner animal?
WILL Corporal Nobbs develop a conscience?
WILL Carrot finally gain the throne of the city, marry Angua, and father a line of royal but slightly furry children?

Hey, that would be telling. But it's a safe bet that there'll be dreadful puns, thrilling chases, and a good time for all.

Posts: 74 | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
*once again, commits happy dance with extreme prejudice*

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glassprisoner
posted Hide Post
I've tried ready The Color of Magic a few times, but could just not get into it. Now, though, I am reading Corpus Jugulum (I think that's the name of it, anyway), and I really dig it. It is the first Pratchett novel that I've read, and I'm sure there will be more to follow.

Posts: 1259 | Location: AZ | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glassprisoner:
It is the first Pratchett novel that I've read, and I'm sure there will be more to follow.

What?! you haven't read Good Omens?! (or do you mean a solo book...)

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that there are other Granny fans besides me. Everyone seems to like Vimes.

Umm, can I post spoilers here? Well, playing it safe, so read "Lords & Ladies," Granny has a fantastic showdown with, ah, someone, in there.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
your special friend
Picture of dayvd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glassprisoner:
I've tried ready The Color of Magic a few times, but could just not get into it. Now, though, I am reading Corpus Jugulum (I think that's the name of it, anyway), and I really dig it. It is the first Pratchett novel that I've read, and I'm sure there will be more to follow.

The Colour of Magic is definitely different than his later work. the sense of humour is different. i really liked it. but i can see why some people might be turned away if that's the first book they ever read of his work.
my favourite so far is Reaper Man.

Posts: 3684 | Location: seattle | Registered: July 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jello
posted Hide Post
It took me a few tries to get into Colour as well.. but I really enjoyed it once I did. Basically, you have to get to the point of Rincewind leaving the town then it all comes together and starts flowing like it should.

---
jello.
aka aron.

Posts: 1035 | Location: Cumming, GA USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glassprisoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
What?! you haven't read Good Omens?! (or do you mean a solo book...)

Are you mad, man? 'Course I've read it! smile So yes, I did mean a solo book.

Posts: 1259 | Location: AZ | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
of course I'm mad!
Found today at Bookman's a Discworld (2) playstation game. I'm intreagued.

Picture of glassprisoner
posted Hide Post
Wow. I guess I missed the whole DiscWorld bandwagon. Even though it's a bit late, I think I would like to try to jump on. Not that I usually condone liking something because it is widely like, but in this case I will make an exception. Should I restart Color of Magic, or can I skip that one?

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
I say skip it if you don't like it. I haven't read it. As I mentioned above, I've read 2 random discworld novels, and they seemed fairly self contained.