Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Pratchett
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Plus, it has Vimes, on Holiday, what's not to love.

No, its not Nightwatch, but i don't think anything else will be, and we'll always have nightwatch.

And now I feel the need to re read Thud, bugger.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20556 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Snuff has a few fun bits, but it's really like a tv sitcom running a clip show. I enjoyed it more when I read it for the second time.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25161 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weeblegeddon:
I couldn't finish Dodger. I just didn't care about the characters or what happened to them. When it comes out as an audiobook, I'll try again.

Frown

I finished it. It was readable, but barely. I think it might actually have been better if it was a Discworld book? As it was, the historical characters weren't involved enough for me to care about them and in many cases I know very little about them (Disraeli) or nothing at all (Miss Coutts) and so they never developed much. And I've never really been much of a Dickens fan, so, although I know the stories I just don't care much.

But if he had funneled all those story functions into a Discworld parody? That might have made it work better, at least for me. But it would have needed a much more Discworld ending, a big climax that isn't quite the climax and then bam! Is it just me, or has he forgotten how to do them?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25161 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
No, I think he's forgotten. We knew it was coming. I'm just grateful he's given us what he already has, and that he's not going quietly.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15828 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
He's mentioned this before, that she would be the only one he would trust.

I guess we'll see how The Watch turns out .... eventually.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20556 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Did read Snuff, did love it, now feeling that faint melancholy you feel when you have got to the end of a book you have really enjoyed.

There were a few bits that did feel different, and I wonder how much (in light of recent declarations) was Rhianna. There seemed to be a lot more sex, for a start.

quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
And now I feel the need to re read Thud, bugger.

This.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Have given in to the Thud re-read.

Also, thinking more about Snuff, another reason why I suspect Rhianna may have had a bit of a hand in it, is that Vimes is practically a superhero.

Now I adore Vimes beyond all measure, but Pterry has always been quite hard-headed about his characters. Whereas this Vimes has a touch of having been written by someone who is in love with him almost as much as I am.

Also, I adore Sybil. Adore, adore, adore.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Thud is a work of bloody genius. The identity politics here are just gripping.

I also especially like the way that Vimes is not infallible, and even when he's at his most powerful and vanquishing his enemies, he's also a weeping, bleeding, snot-covered mess, mostly out of his mind.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I do love it when Vimes is thrust into politics! It's why I love Jingo. And all the Watch books - I adore the Patrician and how he's influenced Carrot and Vimes and the Watch.

It's that sort of intricacy that I didn't find much of in Snuff. It felt like a clip show. Still jolly good fun, but not as in-depth as the other books. But I didn't find it at all in Dodger.

Honestly, I think I would much rather that it ended with him rather than having someone else write it. Or, if it does continue, then with brand new characters and only the occasional cameo from established ones.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I'm now on Guards, Guards. I'd love to ask pterry if he had it all planned forward that Vimes (rather than Carrot, the more obvious candidate) was always going to be the long-term star of the Watch books, or if that developed as he went along.

And there's always something new you find in a re-read. The prophecy in the first few pages about the return of the king *did* come true, after all, for Carrot.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
BBC Radio 4 is going to have a dramatisation of "Eric" on Wednesday, 11 pm, but likely to be on listen again afterwards.

I've never read Eric. It's the only discworld book I haven't read. Why did I miss it, I wonder?

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I like Eric. It's a short and rather silly book where we find out what happens to Rincewind after the events in Sourcery.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
it makes me sad that there is a new discworld book due out in October ... and I'm not bothered!

It's a new moist book, and although I don't hate the character, I'm really, really not bothered about him or any adventures he gets into.

I will still of course get it out of the library, and if it turns out to be fabulous pick up the paperback.

I think there was a most fabulous peak at Nightwatch, a slight pick up again at Thud, Nation was okay and that is the last few years worth of books.

mostly readable and mostly okay, but nothing to get excited about.

~

CHIKKINZ?

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I was really pleasantly surprised by the last couple of books. (Though I haven't read either Nation or dodger yet, and don't feel the need to.) My main quibble was that, as I've said before, Vimes was turning into a superhero, which I ascribe to some of the writing being done by his daughter. If this is true, she's an excellent writer, but is probably as much in love with Vimes as the rest of us, which may not make for a gritty outcome.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I rather like the Moist books but not because of Moist. Because we get to see how the Patrician is really manipulating things, which started waaaaaaay back in Guards! Guards! And ridiculous things happen around Moist and I like that too.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'm slogging my way through Raising Steam and finding it deadly dull. Dodger was more fun and that's not saying much. There's no plot in this meandering history lesson, the characters are just plonked down wherever the vague story line needs them to be and they are all interchangeable. Honestly, if Dick Simnel's lines weren't written in dialect I wouldn't be able to distinguish them from Harry King's. Moist is interchangeable with Adora Belle and the Patrician. There's no snark, no plot, no silly footnotes... I've read nearly 2/3 of it and I don't think I could tell you one significant thing except that the steam engine seems vaguely sentient and there's a group of vaguely racist dwarfs determined to undermine everything.

I sound really harsh and I suppose I am, but I'm bored! I never thought that would happen.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I have also noticed the characters aren't ... themselves.

I gave up on the last science of the discworld as I thought the discworld parts read like bad fan fiction.

~

CHIKKINZ?

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I can bear to read it, and I don't know if I can bear not to.

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I am reading it. I am also reading about 4 other books.

It is readable, it isn't brilliant.

I shall re-read thud or night watch afterwards.

~

CHIKKINZ?