Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Jean Auel - Earth's Children series (spoilers possible)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jean Auel - Earth's Children series (spoilers possible)
 Login/Join

was not written by a man named "Cougar"
Picture of smalltown
posted
I'm glad that I didn't start reading this series until I was in high school, so I think my disappointment with the last few books was softened a little by not having to wait for any of the books to come out.

That being said, I absolutely adored the series until Plains of Passage. Since then it's been hardly much more then a history lesson with some sex thrown in. And not even the sort of sex you read in racy romance novels that make you glance around you if you're reading them in public, but the kind of scene that (in my case) made me just roll my eyes and skip ahead.

And just how many things did this woman invent? Off the top of my head: the bra, braids, flint for fires, tamed the first animals and used them for work, the sewing needle... and it goes on!

Shelters of Stone was a little slow, but at least it set up some decent story potential for the final book. There was Marona, there was Brukevel and there was Laramar and his whole family, NONE of which are even mentioned until the last 200 pages of Painted Caves.

The painted caves take up the first two-thirds, and holy jesus if I don't feel qualified to write a paper on caveman paintings and artistic interpretation after reading it all.

----------------
Duck...duck...duck...duck...BOOBS!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Tacoma! (Because really, who wants to live in Seattle?) | Registered: October 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I think I will now not be running to the library to get that last book, I have been hesitating.

I read the books when I was in Uni (which was cough 20 years ago cough) and mostly enjoyed them.

But, I also hated the fact the woman invented everything, including Birth Control!

it got far too contrive indeed.

one of the books that really bored me (rather than frustrated me with her inventing everything) was the one where they were travelling and you either got in depth descriptions of the flora and fauna, or their sex. and that was the full book, and it was a pretty big book Eek

Part of me wants to read the last book, just to complete the picture, part of me really really isn't bothered any more.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hart
posted Hide Post
Heyla

-laugh- I so know how you two are feeling. It took me well over a year after Shelters came out trying to work up the desire to reread the series. I am still not feeling any great urge to do so again for this new one so I am kind of glad that the latest continues the downward spiral. -g-

-r

Death-fascinated apprentice-Gaiman-stalker-in-training

Shopping List. Help with ideas?

Posts: 114 | Location: Hammond, LA | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Totally subjective cross-section, but I know several girls who've read this, and no guys...

Conversely, I know several guys who've read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time thingy, and no girls...

But the reaction to both series seems to be the same... 'oh god you're stringing this out... GET ON WITH IT... That's an entire book spent having a bath/having sex/describing a journey that doesn't really go anywhere.

So has anyone read both?

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
Er me,

I didn't know she had finished the series actually, and I've only read up to Book 3 of the Wheel of Time

But quite different, she has very few characters and is quite mills & Boon like at times, overly descriptive. One whole book which just covers one journey so boring plot, also yeah fails in that she attributes every human invention to her main character.

Jordan has too many characters, and loads going on in terms of plot etc.

I could pick up the last book in the Auel series without having to re-read the earlier ones, in fact I wouldn't ever want to re-read them, interspecies rape in the early books is just aeergg.....

I would have to re-read Jordans first 3 whenever I decide to continue.

As to the male female divide, Auel's books are clearly targeted at women. The male characters do tend to be either bad guys or her heroic lover, with a few extra's just to even out the cast. Female roles are wondrous main character that beats all adversity and invents everything known to man, including animal husbandry! Also a few mentor types too.

Jordan has a more well rounded cast and I actually like his female characters, but it is hardcore fantasy which less women tend to read.

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
But, I also hated the fact the woman invented everything, including Birth Control!

Actually, she didn't invent that in the book(s) - the secret was passed down for generations of Neanderthal medicine women to Iza, her "mother", who taught it to her as part of her medical training. Which I find at least plausible, if not wholly believable.
quote:
one of the books that really bored me (rather than frustrated me with her inventing everything) was the one where they were travelling and you either got in depth descriptions of the flora and fauna, or their sex. and that was the full book, and it was a pretty big book Eek
That was Plains of Passage - and I agree, that was the first one where I lost interest somewhat. I just kept skipping ahead to where they meet other people and actual STUFF happens.
quote:
Part of me wants to read the last book, just to complete the picture, part of me really really isn't bothered any more.

Yep, same here. If I could get it from a library here in English, I probably wouldn't bother buying it.

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I never read these books, not sure now if I want to! I read the Wheel of time stuff up to either book 8 or 10 and just gave up.

I remember buying two books for a summer vacation waaaay back in 1989 or 1990, Terry Pratchett's Pyramids and Wheel of Time #1. I thoroughly enjoyed both books, after a few books I found out that WoT was meant to be a 7 books series (I swear I read that in an interview from the science fiction book club) and decided to hold off for a while, was suckered into re-reading them and as I said, gave up.

I'm pretty sure someone recommended these books to me, maybe someday I'll give them a go.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Admiral Hasa
posted Hide Post
I lost interest somewhere half way through book one of Earth's Children.

And I never bothered to started Wheel of Time. It sounds extra epic. And I dislike extra epic.

---------------
Bah! Humbug!

Posts: 1056 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I haven’t read either one, but if I was going to I would go with WoT.

I have a girlfriend that is a total non reader. The only book she has read as an adult is Clan of the Cave Bears, but it took her over ten years to read it.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
I've read all of Earth's Children (except this last one) and through Book 6 of Wheel of Time. I loved the first few books of Jordan's but by 6 I was fed up with half of the characters and couldn't keep the other half straight.

There are reasons I don't re-read Clan of the Cave Bear. There are parts that are just UGLY and I don't need to spend my time that way. But in all the other books every time she discovers something else I just laugh. I find the ridiculousness funny I guess. And yes, I can skip all the sex scenes. They're married. The definition of Been There, Done That.

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vampiric Scottie-bat trainer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Admiral Hasa:
I lost interest somewhere half way through book one of Earth's Children.

Big Grin I would have been very surprised if you had made it any further. It is very much a girls book. Not even women - girls. Sort of the Twilight of the 80s. I started reading the books when I was a teenager, and my emotional state then has very much coloured my perception of the series. They were the most "racy" novels I had read until then (as in "OMG there's S-E-X in this!").

Posts: 8222 | Location: Bärlin | Registered: October 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Admiral Hasa
posted Hide Post
For me it was a bit more classic then that.

Boccacio's Decamerone.

---------------
Bah! Humbug!

Posts: 1056 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by library lady:
I have a girlfriend that is a total non reader. The only book she has read as an adult is Clan of the Cave Bears, but it took her over ten years to read it.

wow I think I read it in one night, turtle vs the hare?

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HR job spam. No, really.
- Ed. by DiD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post