Find
Notify
Tools

Tad Williams
 Login/Join

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted
I can't believe there isn't a Tad Williams thread already...all i got when I searched were mentions in the what are you reading thread etc.

So I know there are others on the board that enjoy his work.

What do you think of the new series? I've just worked out that it is going to be more than 3 books, by looking at the cover of shadowrise.

I loved the Otherworld series, and I enjoy his fantasy works, I enjoy the way he weaves stories with what seems like twenty different strands.

And I admit I like his female characters who are often very strong and feminist even within a fantasy setting.

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
There is a new book by Tad Williams soon to be pulished called The Dirty Streets Of Heaven . It's the first of his new series about Bobby Dollar, an earthound angel who is an advocate for people's souls on judgement day which takes place right after death.

It's an urban fantasy on the Cold War between Heaven and Hell and it is one of the best books I read in quite some time. It's fast paced (and much shorter than the usual Williams novel), funny, with great fights and wonderful dialogue. The setting is an fictitious City in the Bay Area and well ... Heaven of course. For the hero Bobby Dollar (and here is my only criticism: what a silly name!) things get quite difficult when a soul who is about to be judged is missing. Heaven and Hell are in an uproar and Bobby Dollar is sitting between all chairs.
This is definetly an adult novel, lots of swearing, some quite explicit sex scenes and one gruesome crime scence that literally gave me nightmares.
Even If you're not a fan of William's other works (which I certainly am) you should give this book a try. There is only one story on angels&demons which is as good and that is (no surprise) Good Omens.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
If you got interested do some quick research - there are some favorable reviews on the net which say what I think much more elegantly ...

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post