Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
 Login/Join

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted
So, I never got around to reading this book until now and, by crikey, this book is atrociously, ridiculously pleasant to read. I don't think I've been this genuinely engrossed in a book since . . . well, since The Passage, but, still, it's VERY good.

Thoughts?

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it, but couldn't think of anyone locally to pass it onto. A good weird little book.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
I read the first chunk of it on holiday last year, and since then I just haven't had the time to read more - it's a big chunk type of book... very frustrating.

I'd also recommend the Yiddish Policeman's Union by Chabon.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I think I have to, Murph. Also been recommended The Wonder Boys.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
It is a very beautiful book. It just goes into all those places: those Golden Age comics places and bad places and the folkloric ones too. Ava got it for me years ago and I never regretted reading it.

Posts: 6054 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple of other of his books quite cheap lately, but looking at them they don't seem to make me want to read them.

Should I?

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Smaug. I saw one that was ... potentially interesting--The Yiddish Policemen's Union--but I'm just intrigued by alternate realities and I never actually read or anything else aside from Adventures. He is a really good writer though, so really if they are really cheap might not have that much to lose.

Posts: 6054 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading The Wonder Boys.

It doesn't have quite the magic of AK&C, but it's quite a bit ahead of anything else I've read in a while. The same grasp of character and love of quirky dialogue is there.

- G.K. Chesterton

mutant hedgehog worm
Picture of halucinagenia
posted Hide Post
I'm stuck on the Yiddish policemens's union,

Just not finding it interesting enough to bother finishing. I'm hoping that The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is better.

Posts: 9895 | Location: The heart of gold | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halucinagenia:
I'm stuck on the Yiddish policemens's union,

Just not finding it interesting enough to bother finishing. I'm hoping that The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is better.

If you like comics nostalgia, history, and some ethnic mythology in there, you probably will.