Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    George R. R. Martin
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George R. R. Martin
 Login/Join

Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post

I love these season trailers. They are like a big ball of yarn to play with while I wait for the catnip.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I take it you've all seen Paul and Storm's little ditty by now?

I finished the last book (-After the Feast) a couple of weeks ago, and came to read this thread from beginning to end. While I'm pleased I haven't been waiting since 2002, like The Wanderer, to name the first die hard fan here, I find myself on the end of it, ten years later, still wanting to know what's going to happen next!

Actually, Wanderer, I've been meaning to ask - do you know of any other series of books which have hooked you line and sinker like this one?

Or anyone else for that matter? I see a couple of Jordan fans been upset by his books losing their way, so I'm tempted not to try them. But who else has a series I can get lost in (until the next books come along!)

I can so understand why everyone is saying GRRM is such a b'std now.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I loved that video! it was brilliant!

I stopped reading the Jordan books ages ago, they just never got anywhere and seemed very repetitive.

I really enjoyed the two books in Patrick Rothfuss's series and am impatiently waiting for the next one.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
"video no longer available"

I missed it!

And Maeve - you just said the Patrick Rothfuss one needs waiting to finish too! Not sure I want to try that again ...

Come on George.

Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Motley:
"video no longer available"

I missed it!

And Maeve - you just said the Patrick Rothfuss one needs waiting to finish too! Not sure I want to try that again ...

Come on George.

The video still plays at Rothfuss's blog site, but I don't know if it'll play outside the US.

linky here

I heartily recommend the Rothfuss books! They are excellent.

I don't mind waiting for GRRM to finish books, it was the marketing of random things like calendars and coffee mugs and board games! That crap could be released, for lots cash, but we couldn't get the next book!

The last book felt like a middle book. We wandered all over and didn't further the plot much at all. Maybe on the second read it'll be better.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finished the last book (-After the Feast) a couple of weeks ago, and came to read this thread from beginning to end. While I'm pleased I haven't been waiting since 2002, like The Wanderer, to name the first die hard fan here, I find myself on the end of it, ten years later, still wanting to know what's going to happen next!

Actually, Wanderer, I've been meaning to ask - do you know of any other series of books which have hooked you line and sinker like this one?

Hmm, not many, that's for sure. Lord of the Rings is one, I first picked that up when I was 7 or 8, (and am now rapidly approaching 32) and I still get both pleasure and new insights into the story when rereading it.

The Sandman series by some guy named Gaiman had a similar effect on me. Those two along with A Song of Ice and Fire are my personal holy trinity of fantasy. (Although I'm really, really hoping that Song doesn't lose its way... I've been less than thrilled since the end of A Storm of Swords.)

Watchmen and V for Vendetta are probably the other graphic novels that have come closest to this. Also, probably the closest I've come to that experience in recent years was a graphic novel called Asterios Polyp which is a very compelling read that I felt bound to read and reread several times. (Something of a rarity for me.) It's a very rich story with wonderfully executed characters and interesting looks at being human.

Certain Terry Pratchett novels (Small Gods, Night Watch) and some of Stephen King's better works are also worth a mention.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
My holy trinity would be Memory Sorrow Thorn by Tad Williams, The Sandman and A Song Of Ice And Fire.
The Lord of the Rings will ever be close to my heart as it as well introduced my to the genre when I was ten years old...

Thank you for the Graphic Novel recommendation Wanderer, we seem to like the same stories so I'll definetly check it out.

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for the recommendations. I was on amazon UK before I could blink and remember that I wasn't supposed to be buying anything new, until I've read and got rid of all the books I have to read that don't fit on our bookshelves.

LOTR is a firm favourite of mine. And, I can't believe I'll admit to this but I still haven't finished Sandman! I bought all the comics on ebay/amazon but still find graphic novels harder to get into than novels. So. When I've finished everything else, I'll try Asterios Polyp and Tad Williams. Thank you.

(Sorry - this should probably be in Other Authors. I won't do it again, promise)

Kurt Vonnegut

Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Sorry - this should probably be in Other Authors. I won't do it again, promise)

Newbie question:

I get the impression that off topic remarks are not very much liked on this board ... Strict rule or flexible rule?

*wants not to loose karma points by ignorance*
*smiles sheepishly*

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Very flexible rule. We hijack the Death thread.

Don't worry about it.

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Spam is not liked, topics in the wrong forum are moved, hotlinking will get you a warning and could put you at risk of loosing karma points, but mattyvid is right, our moto is 'we even hijack the death thread'

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks. I read several sorries for straying off topic so I just wanted to make sure ...
back to George then.

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I was being politely British Smile

Kurt Vonnegut

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
A Dance with Dragons was meh. Still doesn't feel like we're heading for closure, still putting characters through the wringer (poor Tyrion... and Theon, etc, etc) Spoiler:[ I didn't believe for a second that Jon's really dead. ] How far we've fallen from the impact of the first major character deaths.

Also, Ciaran Hinds getting cast as Mance reminded me that Rome is the perfect series to watch while waiting for the next Game of Thrones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzvNnk2p3Y

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZoneSeek,

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
GRRM talking about a skinny kid with an idea, that GRRM wasn't interested in.

We may recognise the skinny kid in question.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I lost track of where I stopped reading, but watching the TV series (which I'm preferring a great deal to the books - not a normal occurrence) has made me want to know what happens next!

Of course that would mean Martin also knowing what's happening next Razz

Here is what I want, so forgive me if it's been made impossible/unlikely by the most recent book which I didn't read:

I want Tyrion to team up with Daenerys, and Daenerys to be Queen. Would make a nice change from all these little kings.

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Oh, me too Domi, me too Smile > I am in love with both of them

Kurt Vonnegut

Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
Welp.......I just got done seeing it yesterday. The big ugly scene in Game of Thrones that made Ned Stark's beheading look like a Sunday Picnic

I was of course the infamous Red Wedding scene. I remember reading and hearing how Martin had to save this scene for last when writing A Storm of Swords because it was too hard to finish. When I read it the first time I know why. Then I heard that he was gonna write Episode 9 of this season (which he is contracted to do for each season is write 1 episode) and of course he gets the same scene again.....and made it even more horrible if that was ever possible.

Before I go further I'm gonna guess that if anyone is reading this bit, has either read the books or has already seen the episode of the show in question so if anyone is gonna flip out know ye have been warned.

What actually makes this scene so much more horrific wasn't actually Robb, Cat, or any of the Stark men with them dying that made me cringe. Hell, even Cat slitting Frey's wife (instead of grandson which is a nice change I can live with. His reaction was the same, he could find another or with a grandson has others). No, what made me cringe was the set up with Talisa (Robb's wife/Queen instead of Jayne Westerling which I don't care was changed actually. The entire set up was the same only better. Instead of him doing the "honorable" thing of marrying her after sleeping with her which was in the books, it was he loved her and decided damn the consequences both before and after sleeping with her. This made their relationship all the more real cause we got to see it develop and unfold.....and conclude.

It was her being the first victim in the scene, the fact that we already had it established she was pregnant with Robb's child, and that she didn't get her throat slit which is usually the norm in these types of things, but instead a clear, brutal, and horrific message was sent to have her stabbed repeatedly and rapidly in her stomach/womb to kill not only her but the unborn child as well.

I both love this ending better vs. in the books though just for the fact that unlike the book where Jayne wasn't present so that Robb would both have her protected and not insult Frey even more than he already has, Robb brings her along. Puts his wife, his queen, and his heir all at risk which means his cause is at risk.

This actually topped another horrific death that I saw a few episodes back, or maybe the previous episode I don't recall, but it was the death of Ros (Red Headed Whore). Having her tied up and displayed with all those crossbow bolts sticking out of her, finding out it was Joffery that she was given to by Littlefinger.

In the books I was actually liking Littlefinger a little bit, even in the show despite knowing how much of a controlled sociopath he is, he had some charm to him. Now they depict him as just as an inventive and cruel monster as Joffery which isn't an easy thing to do considering it is Joffery we are speaking of.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Everyone read the excerpts? So, Euron has a Valyrian steel suit of armor, and is maybe trying to raise the Drowned God or Cthullhu?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
I have read a couple of the bits he has released for Winds of Winter. I almost forgot that the book may see the light of day sometime before the tv series ends, maybe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12398 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post