Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    George R. R. Martin
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George R. R. Martin
 Login/Join

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanderinginmn:
and Catelyn ripping apart the Freys....

That's going to be scary.

quote:
god i hate waiting for books to come out....

Ditto.

~
James

Larger than life is the perfect size

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Part-time amateur cardiologist
Picture of wanderinginmn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by Cuchullain:
Also, I either want Sansa to toughen up or die. My prediction is that she meets up with Brienne (that's the woman knight, right? It's been so long) and gets taken under-wing. I hope. Something, please.

I don't think Sansa will ever toughen up, her wolf is dead, but maybe if Brianne took her under her wing, she would at least be less of a tool.

-I.

"Even then I have nothing against life.
I know well the grass blades you mention,
the furniture you have placed under the sun." -Anne Sexton

Posts: 1994 | Location: MPLS, MN, USA | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
Picture of Dread Captain Psyko
posted Hide Post
Actually, I suspect Sansa will take her tutelage from littlefinger, and we'll see, after the 5 years of A Feast For Crows, that she's going to come out a major player.

This next book is a time of training for the Stark Kids - Arya is with the Faceless Men, Bran is beyond the Wall, Jon is learning the ropes on top of the Wall, Sansa is with Littlefinger, and Rickon is (presumably) down in the Marshes. Meanwhile Dany is settling down and consolidating her power, and the Lannisters will be infighting with themselves (not to mention guarunteed Tyrell intervention for Myrcella)over the throne.

He was originally going to skip over the 5 years covered in book 4, and the reason is that A Storm of Swords really did conclude the first movement of the series - the major players in the next movement will be the kids who we watched affecting this movement without truly being in control.

It'll be fascinating to see who comes out alive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not all conservatives are stupid people,
but most stupid people are conservatives.

-- John Stuart Mill

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
He's not skipping the time now. Said too much would be missed, especially in Dorne (Huzzah! I loved the Red Viper). You're right about the Starklings, Cap'n, but I get the impression we won't see too much of them in the next book. Just an impression. Too bad, Arya's my favorite.

SPOILERS:

I've read synopses of a couple chapters from the next book that he's read at a couple events. It's been awhile, but I do recall that the Lannister uncle turns out to be far more formideable than previously thought, and Cersei will not have an easy time of running things in Kings Landing. Also, as I recall, Jaime is done with Cersei. I think he slaps her (double Huzzah!). There was some Sansa stuff, too. I don't remember much, but I do recall that the little Aran kid (is that right? Caetlyn's nephew) has been climbing into bed with Sansa at night, and then peeing the bed. I think Sansa, thsu far, has been successful keeping Littlefinger OUT of her bed. Ick.

That's not much, but it's all I remember at the moment.

Posts: 3347 | Location: Sidhe | Registered: December 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
Yea, Oberyn may be the best charachter he came up with. The idea of a guy who would forge half a maesters chain and get bored... that sort of psychology... was just begging for a POV Frown

And yea, I know he's writing the 5 year gap now. In AFFC - I was merely pointing out that the reason he was going to skip it is because most of his principals will be in training/consolidating their power.

He's writing this book primarily for 2 charachters. Cersei, and the mystery second POV, who "Couldn't have been idle all this time." The biggest theories I've heard on the new POV are Stannis, a Martell, Varys, Littlefinger, or The Hound.

Personally, my moneys on a Martell. Varys just seems like a much more effective mystery charachter, even if GRRM's comments regarding a charachter that couldn't be idle seem to point in his direction. I'd regret not having him as an unknown factor with no clear allegiance.

-- John Stuart Mill

Posts: 9561 | Location: Noo Yawk. | Registered: December 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
I'd bet on the Flower Knight's brother, whose name I forget.

Verys would be ever so interesting, though.

westeros.org is an outstanding GRRM site, by the way. I have no vested interest. It's simply the best there is. They're working on a MUSH, last I checked it wasn't up.

Posts: 3347 | Location: Sidhe | Registered: December 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
Westeros.org is indeed great.

Theres also a great deal of Martin discussion at the Other Site that I frequent and help run, devoted to the books of He Who Shall Not Be Named (because he sucks ass) - I run the Other Fantasy section. Where Martin was recently voted the most popular fantasist there.

-- John Stuart Mill

is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
If it's Jordan, we're taking it to Flame Wars. Smile

Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Long John Cuchullain:
If it's Jordan, we're taking it to Flame Wars. Smile

It is. He sucks.

Do you dare disagree?

-- John Stuart Mill

is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
*sniffs and tugs his braid in agreement*

Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
Oh, and as for Martins next book...

the grapevine is saying September right now, though I have a hunch on a December or January release.

And don't stalk him or e-mail bomb him.

He'll just take time off of writing to respond.

WOnderfully nice of him, but it slows him down. And makes us not get A Feast For Crows for that much longer.

Bad that is.

We hatses the delays.

-- John Stuart Mill

is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
I actually sent him a (very specific) criticism once (which was very generally complimentary). He never wrote back. I think I'm the only one he didn't write back. Smile

Queen of New York
posted Hide Post
But he read it...

And he considered writing back I'm sure...

DAMN YOU Cuchullain! I now blame every second from now until the release of book 4 on you!

Wink

-- John Stuart Mill

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Nevermind.

~
James

Larger than life is the perfect size

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine came up with the idea of kidnapping the cat he's pictured with on his web page and holding it ransom until the book is finished. Maybe mail him a paw every month or something. I think the idea has merit.

is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
Just reading up on the message boards. It seems the new POV will be the Captain of the Guard for the Red Viper's brother (ruler of Dorne). The outline of his chapter (as read at a con) sounds out-fucking-standing. I didn't remember it, but it seems the Viper has three daughters, affectionately known as the Sand Snakes, who are clamoring for revenge.

Now, I'm not sure if he'll be a POV throughout. It seems the Prologue is seven chapters long. The poster's command of the english language seems to be a little wanting, but if I understood right, GRRM said that a POV in the prologue might not appear again in the rest of the book.

I still say a Tyrell would make a good candidate.

Also, Arya is still a POV. And Cersei.

posted Hide Post
Maybe stating the obvious, but have you guys read "The Arms of the Kraken"? The short-story excerpt from the next book which was published in Dragon Magazine #305?

- Oliver (Concierge of the KaTe KarTel)
----------------------
- Verbally Incontinent

Posts: 1217 | Location: Denmark | Registered: July 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Metonomy:
Maybe stating the obvious, but have you guys read "The Arms of the Kraken"? The short-story excerpt from the next book which was published in Dragon Magazine #305?

----------------------
- Verbally Incontinent

I wouldn't have any idea where to find Dragon Magazine. Is the story good?

posted Hide Post
Yeah ... it is (but that might just be because I'm waiting forever on the next book).

As the title implies it deals with House Greyjoy, and the battle between thefour siblings (Asha, Aeron, Euron, and Victarion) as to who is going to sit on the Seaweed Chair (sorry, don't remember the correct name). Of course there's a big difference between their plans, and the winner brings an interesting new aspect into play. Very interesting...

It's quite well written (as always) and it's quite fun to finally see something of the "cultural" background of the Greyjoy's ... as well as more of Asha and Euron.

----------------------
- Verbally Incontinent

Posts: 1217 | Location: Denmark | Registered: July 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a real, live Gremlin
Picture of Cúchulainn
posted Hide Post
Good to know that events in the North (but south of the wall) aren't going to be neglected. Most of the talk seems to be about Dorne, King's Landing, and Arya/Dany/Tyrion overseas. I like the North.

And, of course, I really want the Freys and Boltons to get some serious comeuppance. Smile