Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    George R. R. Martin
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George R. R. Martin
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Samhain, I think the thing to remember is that so much of Game of Thrones is really laying the foundation for the future and introduction to the conditions and politics of Westeros. Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords take that and really run with it, and the story really does become mindblowing at that point. Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

Thanks for the tip, Wanderer. I'll do that!

Posts: 388 | Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, Europe,etc,etc | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by psyche:
quote:
Welcome to the group, Psyche. Smile I hope you enjoy the rest and let us know how the rest of the reading treats you.

Samhain, I think the thing to remember is that so much of Game of Thrones is really laying the foundation for the future and introduction to the conditions and politics of Westeros. Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords take that and really run with it, and the story really does become mindblowing at that point. Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

waahh... i've been part of the forum for quite awhile already... i'm too much of a lurker, i guess.

Frown

I think he meant the group of us sucked into Martin's world. I remember you! Smile But you should post more. Wink

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Cable:
quote:
Originally posted by psyche:
quote:
Welcome to the group, Psyche. Smile I hope you enjoy the rest and let us know how the rest of the reading treats you.

waahh... i've been part of the forum for quite awhile already... i'm too much of a lurker, i guess.

Frown

I think he meant the group of us sucked into Martin's world. I remember you! Smile But you should post more. Wink

ah, ok Smile thanks, matt cable. i shall try to post more often. have a nice day!

lurk.... lurk.... lurk....

Posts: 628 | Location: 8000 light years from earth | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
What Matt said. Don't worry, I remember you, psyche. I used to be Ronin, so I've seen you plenty of times over the years. Besides, you're the Board's favorite lurker! Smile

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just finished A Clash of Kings, and enjoyed it much more than the first time I read A Game of Thrones. It was interesting to see how certain characters developed.

I got the impression that Sansa is beginning to toughen up a little, but at heart I think she's still got her head in the clouds despite all the terrible things she's witnessed. Seeing Theon return to the Iron Islands was cool too. Even though that that was the first time he's been depicted there, I got the impression that he's now very much a fish out of water (or should that be kraken?), neither an ironman or a mainlander. I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day with his actions during the occupation of Winterfell. I'll probably re-read it a few times first, but I'm already looking forward to getting stuck into A Storm of Swords. Smile

Posts: 388 | Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, Europe,etc,etc | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doddering stodger
Picture of Robbie
posted Hide Post
just read The Feast of Crows.

Now its a great book but he needs to control himself. Its getting too big! And he keeps expanding the number of PoV characters and major characters.

According to his site there are 3 more books so far due in the series.

* A Game of Thrones, Bantam Books, 1996
* A Clash of Kings, Bantam Books, 1999
* A Storm of Swords, Bantam Books, 2000
* A Feast for Crows, Bantam Books, 2005
* A Dance with Dragons, forthcoming/Bantam Books
* The Winds of Winter, forthcoming/Bantam Books
* A Dream of Spring, forthcoming/Bantam Books

the later titles don;t seem like the final ones so on we go!

Posts: 10241 | Location: sheffield, uk | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I agree. I really hope he doesn't become Jordanesque.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
I'm reading The Hedge Knight in the Legends book. My understanding is The Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword (Legends II) are the only two short stories in the Westeros world besides the above books. They're set about 100 years before the books. It's real fun to see the grandparents of the characters you're so familiar with. But there's no family tree or appendix so I'm trying to remember the relations.

Anyone else read these?

Posts: 10767 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
Haven't read 'em. Hedge Knight's also been comic-booked. I wonder if Maester Aemon is in them, though. In Feast For Crows he keeps mentioning "Egg", who I believe is a character in it. And he is pretty damn old.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Biscuitkeeper
Picture of Matt Cable
posted Hide Post
Master Aemon is mentioned, but Egg is a different person.

knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Egg is Maester Aemon's younger brother. In Feast For Crows, when Aemon is feverish, he frequently adresses "Egg", and in The Hedge Knight there's a brief mention of how Maekar, Egg's father, had sent one of his sons off to be a Maester.

Poor Aemon. Frown

There' also a brief mention of Dunk in the series, I think is Storm of Swords, where Ser Duncan the Tall is mentioned as one of the great knights of the Kingsguard/one of its Lord Commanders that Jaime wonders how he'll ever fit in with.

Here's a copy&paste from Wikipedia of the family tree for the Targaryens at the start of The Hedge Knight.

ETA: damnit all, I can get it to line up right in the post box, but not in the post itself. Just click here instead, and remember that Daeron II is the king at the time, and it is from his offspring that the rest fo the Targ characters come.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
i'm now halfway through "a feast for crows". i'm not really liking it too much because martin used different characters this time. i must've gotten attached to the other characters he used in the first 3 books. my favorites are dany and arya Smile they rock Big Grin

Posts: 628 | Location: 8000 light years from earth | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem slogging through Feast For Crows, plus I keep wanting to call it Feast OF Crows, why I have no idea.

I guess the book just grew too big and he decided to chop it in two and the next book will focus on Arya and Dany a bit more.

*impatiently waiting for the next one to get published...*

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Just finished Feast for Crows

*taps foot impatiently*

Come on George. Get on the stick- I need a new book Mad

Oh, and he did say that since the book got sooooo big, he decided to tell the whole story of half the characters (and do the other half in "Dragons") rather than tell half the story with all the characters.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a beaver that talks
Picture of supersnazz: fiend for rawk!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Dany and Tyrion (as Tyrion is now in the Free Cities) will be major focuses in the next book, most likely connecting at some point. Jon and the happenings at the wall will also be significant in the next one.

The Musics: Mr. Fusion
The Writing: CBLDF Embloggenings

Posts: 15711 | Location: A few miles west of crazy... | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
aaah... i can't wait! i'm really trying not to think about it. i got 3 more people hooked on these books Smile wheeee!!!

posted Hide Post
Possibly 4: picked up Game of Thrones at the bookstore today (along with UnLunDun, which will be read first). I'm a GRRM virgin, so we'll see... Y'all have intriqued me here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
i'm trying to read "dying of the light" by george rr martin, but somehow it doesn't interest me the same way the books of the song of ice and fire saga do. i just halfway through, but i'm kinda put down with the book as a whole.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jazzcat:
Possibly 4: picked up Game of Thrones at the bookstore today (along with UnLunDun, which will be read first). I'm a GRRM virgin, so we'll see... Y'all have intriqued me here.

I'm another.
I haven't been able to find Game of Thrones yet but bought Clash of Kings yesterday. I hate it when I find a book in the middle of a series. The same thing happened with Otherland - I have 2 and 4, Arrgg!

Posts: 182 | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, you really need to start Otherland with the first one!
(I know I'm dragging us even further off topic, but just picked up Tad's Shadowmarch vol. 2... I have read everythign of his & still not sure whether I prefer the fantasy stuff or the scifi novels; the latter are getting closer to reality all the time: Second Life,etc).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post