Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C.S. Lewis
 Login/Join

posted
What a storyteller! I am totally in awe after reading Chronicles of Narnia.

Does he have anything else that even comes close to the perfection of this book?

Posts: 182 | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Two of my favorites by him have been 'Til We have Faces (the Psyche/Cupid myth retold) and A Grief Observed (non-fiction musings after his wife died).

Folks are gonna come in here and tell you about the Space Trilogy : Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength. I haven't read them, always meant to, just haven't gotten around to them.

I have a copy of The Dark Tower, I just haven't read that one either, yet.

There's a gazillion more : Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, poetry, .... all sorts of stuff. I've been slowly working my way through the Four Loves.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
I was really disappointed with the space trilogy, but I must say I'm curious about those other books you mentioned.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Violent Shrinking
posted Hide Post
The Great Divorce: very arresting concepts and features advice from the author George MacDonald whose books Lilith and Phantastes I highly recommend. He was an inspiration to Lewis and Tolkien and wrote some of the first true fantasy stories.

Screwtape Letters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exciting, fun, and sobering to read.

Take care and enjoy!

~* Absinthe makes the heart grow fronder ~*

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
I love Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra; if you can get over the fact it doesn't work as a sci-fi anymore, it's really rewarding.
However, I've only heard bad things about That Hideous Strength, so I'm avoiding it... You still might like it, but I hear it's very different from the first two.

Otherwise, I just chime in with what was already said.

And speaking of George MacDonald, Princess and the Goblin is in many ways similar to Narnia.
Lilith was awesome, too.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've only heard bad things about That Hideous Strength, so I'm avoiding it... You still might like it, but I hear it's very different from the first two.
I've heard it described as "one of the great books of our time".

It is very different, but if you admire an author you should't avoid reading some of his books just on someone else's say-so.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eardstapa:
if you admire an author you should't avoid reading some of his books just on someone else's say-so.

Not because they were saying it was bad; because they were saying it was very different and in ways I did not like in comparison to the first two, which I really love.
Maybe I'll read it one day - I suppose I will - but later. When I can get over the difference. I don't think I can just now.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
Read it some time ago. There were parts I did not like, and parts I loved; either way, I could finally overlook the fact it's not a natural follow up.
I can't get the idea of "true countries" out of my head now. (I'm not sure that's the exact wording in the book, but if you've read it, you'll know what I mean.)

*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marmota-b:
I love Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra; if you can get over the fact it doesn't work as a sci-fi anymore, it's really rewarding.
However, I've only heard bad things about That Hideous Strength, so I'm avoiding it... You still might like it, but I hear it's very different from the first two.

Otherwise, I just chime in with what was already said.

And speaking of George MacDonald, Princess and the Goblin is in many ways similar to Narnia.
Lilith was awesome, too.

I loved the first two. I tried to read the third one twice, at different times in my life. I never could finish it.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post