Find
Notify
Tools

The Walking Dead
 Login/Join

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted
Is anyone here reading The Walking Dead? I've just finished the second HC, so I've read everything up to issue 24.

It's definitely a fascinating read, although I'm not sure yet whether I'll continue with it. On the one hand, I like the relentlessness of the story, but on the other I find that I appreciate it rather than enjoy it - and I don't really feel all that connected to the characters. There are moments where the story pulls me in, but there are others when I feel that there's something a bit forced about how relentless it is. Vol 3 is an example of this for me - people getting killed horribly by zombies is one thing, but during the prison story arc I'm not sure I necessarily buy the bit where one of the prisoners kills the girls. It feels a bit too much like "Man is the real monster here!", which has been done so often by now. I'm also not all that keen on the art and feel that the comic would benefit at times from being less wordy - there are moments when it feels like the writer would rather be doing a novel.

Having said that, though, it's definitely a fascinating read and I'd be very interested in hearing other people's opinions.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Isn't this going to be a TV show this season?

I haven't heard of it, sorry. Lately my only graphic novels have been from the library and they think Sandman is "too controversial" to shelve. One librarian's savvy enough to realize that even the Library of Congress classification system knows that you don't put graphic novels in the kid's section, but she's a small voice in a big building.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
Isn't this going to be a TV show this season?

It is. I think they're covering vol. 1.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
A comic book fiend at work is going to see if he can find this in his collection - claims I must read it as well.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lately my only graphic novels have been from the library and they think Sandman is "too controversial" to shelve.

Sorry for the highjack but this saddens me. We put the graphic novels in with the art books. (741.5) I managed to get Sandman in the teen section. I read an article about ten years ago about GNs in the library. The article told librarians to get Sandman, but if they were uncomforable with it to put it in the adult section.

Haven't read walking dead. (yet)

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I can see justification for shelving it in the adult section, I really can, particularly for a library like ours that really doesn't have a teen section, but not shelving it at all? That's just a bizarre oversight.

- G.K. Chesterton

has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Here's the trailer.

http://horror.break.com/the-wa...iler-is-finally-here

Looks pretty fantastic!

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
So, I'm one issue . . . 39? Met the Governor, left him behind.

I like the series well enough, but my biggest problem is that I can't believe that these weak-sauce zombies would stop the U.S. militia, let alone the U.S. military.

- G.K. Chesterton

Wigber
Picture of Mean Old Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by His Nodle Girl:

Here's the trailer.

http://horror.break.com/the-wa...iler-is-finally-here

Looks pretty fantastic!

Whoa. Wasn't expecting live-action. Figured it'd be animated, hearing about it.

Ain't gonna be a fun show for people who hate crowds.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
Has there ever been a thread where forum necromancy was more appropriate? Razz

Telltale Games (who created the recent batch of Monkey Island and Sam and Max adventures) are doing a series of episodic The Walking Dead games. From what I've read and seen, they're pretty good (and not all that expensive). I've played the demo, which was okay, but the main selling point seems to be that the player makes pretty weighty decisions (e.g. on who gets to live and who dies), and those carry over from one episode to the next, which is quite cool.

Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
I never thought Kirkman could keep The Walking Dead going for so long, but it's still very readable. The only bit of stretching things too far was when Carl got half his head blown off and only suffers with a bum eye and memory problems. It's a goooood read.

Posts: 32867 | Location: smooshy mashed pertato mountian | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
I too am surprised by how the comics have managed to remain high quality over such a long time, and without really breaking the suspension of disbelief or taking a downturn.

I think I just read Volume 16 in B&N the other night, and it left me wondering if the series is setting up for a final major arc.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post