Find
Notify
Tools

Scalzi
 Login/Join

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted
Just finished Old Man's War. I absolutely loved it, and want to read the books that follow on, but probably won't keep it to reread.

Also reading Redshirts. Entertaining, but not all that deep.

I've been reading his blog for a long time, and like it, so wondered what his novels were like.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of his books, but they're not particularly deep. I think Human Division just came out, which I want to read; he'd originally released it as a series of e-chapters, at like a buck a chapter, and it's finally been collected as a novel.

I think the Old Man's War books are his best, but he kind of beat it to death - telling the same parts of the story from different viewpoints in completely separate novels, for example.

I don't know if I actually liked Android's Dream, or was just caught up in the glory that was the Church of the Enlightened Sheep.

If you like Scalzi, I'd suggest picking up some Stross - particularly his Laundry books.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
I have redshirts on my 'wish list' on amazon, but I'm not in a particular hurry to convert it to book form, but when christmas comes around it wouldn't be one I would be dissapointed to get.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Flinchy!:
If you like Scalzi, I'd suggest picking up some Stross - particularly his Laundry books.

This is worth knowing, thanks. (He's another one I follow on twitter where I haven't actually read his novels.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post