Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

Picture of Xenocide Isis
posted Hide Post
EVERYBODY -

Kay, kay, kay - see the point you're all screaming about. Really. See it.

But can you honestly tell me without the slightest bit of doubt that if YOU had just gotten back from a camping trip with a PRIMITIVE campsite and climbed a damned big rock upwards of 1800 feet above sea level that you would feel like gettin into a debate you know is pointless?

I mean...c'mon, peoples, a growing girl needs her beauty sleep!

In a few days, when I am fully recovered from this ordeal (I am not the world's best hiker), then I'll come back here and resume the debate with an enthusiasm that none have ever witnessed. Or I might just start throwing out ideas, but you never know.

Anywho, if this thread is still alive when I can fully focus on a bright computer screen for more than a few minutes, then I'll come back and try my best to satisfy everybody's apparent desire to see me as sharkbait.

'Til then, just have fun imagining it. Wink

-Xeno

"I did not die, and did not remain alive; now think for thyself, if thou hast any grain of ingenuity what I became, deprived of both death and life." - Dante

"We are the Dreamers of the Dream." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy

"What is art? Fuck art! I am Art." - Marilyn Manson

Posts: 32 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xenocide Isis:
I'll come back and try my best to satisfy everybody's apparent desire to see me as sharkbait.

Whee! Shark fishin'!!!
*puts fishing line in water*
**tug**
*THROWN into the water, pulled under, eaten*
**burp**

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Roxanna
posted Hide Post
Bradbury is one of my favorite writers. I was first introduced to him in my grade 11 varied imaginations class (basically an english literature course but only fantasy and sci fi books) The book we had to read was Farenheit 451. I loved that book and I still read it over and over again every once in a while. so far I've been reading for 5 years now or something like that. I also loved his short story called I think, the pedestrian and his other short story called a sound of thunder. I really really love his stuff

ok confused
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thrice happy the couple
who are not torn apart by quarrels
but are held in a bond
of unbroken love which only death dissolves.
~Horace

Posts: 768 | Location: In my little hide-away paradise. | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Then I have bad news for you. The sound of thunder has been made into an action movie. I've seen the trailer. Looks like the short story is the first five minutes.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
They can't do it any better then The Simpsons did... they managed to adapt the story and poke fun at it... and be funny and creepy.

wait... they do that for all the Treehouse of Horror eps. Still great

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there was a videogame kinda based on the idea at the start of Sound of Thunder... you went back in time to hunt dinosaurs. it was called Dinosaur Hunter. it looked pretty fun

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the collection The Cat's Pajamas? Any reviews?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
ok, question for y'all - per usual, I'm taking Zoe to the San Diego Comicon and, per usual, Ray Bradbury will be there. What book would convince a 6 year old he's cool? I want Z to be able to see him while she still can, and understand who she's seeing. I picked up Dinosaur Tales - think that'll do the trick?

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Wow, awesome that you two are going to get to see him. I'm not well versed in Bradbury. I've read Martian Chronicles (one or two of the shorts, that is) and 451 and Dandelion and Something Wicked .. need to check out October People (or whatever it was mentioned above) .. and really I just need to be exposed to more of his stuff. I know this isn't helping you, GMZoe, again, just rambling. Besides, whatever you do choose, I'll be filing it away for Molly some day. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22795 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know how it goes then. So many stories to fit in with a limited timeframe - Bradbury before the comicon in July, trying to finish Howls with Z before that comes out here, it'd be nice to finish the Great Glass Elevator before Charlie and the Chocolate factory comes out, it'd also be nice to read Z the Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe before the movie, and of course we need to finish Harry Potter 5 before 6 comes out... Finding stories to read is never a problem, it's finding the &*#&*% time!

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHA, yes indeed. I really hope Molly will enjoy reading with me. Not sure when to expect that (obviously she's too young now), but I'm looking forward to it. We do sit down for 10 - 15 minutes before bedtime and flip through her books, so that's a good start ... we'll see when the bedtime STORIES actually arrive Smile

There's a book on Howl's? Is it a picture/story book?

What's the Great Glass Elevator? A book version of the movie?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Howl's Moving Castle is based on a novel of the same name by Diana Wynne Jones (Her thread is old - she's been discussed in What You're Reading Now more recently). I discovered the book a few years ago through the old Neil Gaiman Purity Test which asked what the connection was between Stardust and Howl's Moving Castle
The Great Glass Elevator is the sequel to Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, both by Roald Dahl (his thread)
*sends JP to the book store*

Why wait to read stories? I read Zoe Star Wars (the novel) before she could understand it. It's good to start the habit of wanting stories early on (and I've always been determined not to read the same picture book ten times every night, so I started in on novels very early on)

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
oh, and *FISH*
you really should have picked up on some of that before *vaguely shakes head*

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why wait to read stories? I read Zoe Star Wars (the novel) before she could understand it. It's good to start the habit of wanting stories early on (and I've always been determined not to read the same picture book ten times every night, so I started in on novels very early on)

Well, we're still at the point (13 months) where reading isn't actually happening. She still wants to hold the books and turn the pages, two, three at a time, and close the book and go on to the next one. ANY attempt at actually trying to read the pages (ie, holding the book open to a particular page to read it) only gets met with frustration on the kiddo's part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
ah. I started when Z was a babe in arms or a babe in tubs, so her grabbing the book wasn't an issue

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
oh, and *FISH*
you really should have picked up on some of that before *vaguely shakes head*

If you mean the other threads for the other authors, I have no excuse. I've just never really made Other Writers a home and rarely checked them out til now (since WE has been rather boring for me of late). I'll do what I can to catch up on a few here and there (the one's you've linked in partic) and see about keeping up with others as they come online.

If you mean the connection between the novel and the movie, as I said in another thread today, I'm newly on the Myazaki bandwagon. As for the sequel to Charlie, I just plain never knew it existed. *makes note to check out the threads, as the day is winding down*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
ah. I started when Z was a babe in arms or a babe in tubs, so her grabbing the book wasn't an issue

Oh, we started early on too, she's just ALWAYS been fascinated in holding the books herself, or playing with them. Ah well, we'll take what we can get right now. The good thing is she's asking for book time before bed time each night, and on a few of her favorite books (yes, she has favorites) we're spending more and more time on the various pages, giving me time to read or talk about the picutes or whatever the case may be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
JP, what about just telling her stories? get her used to listening to narratives, following your voice? my dad used to make up silly stories at bedtime. just an idea...

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14243 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
ok, question for y'all - per usual, I'm taking Zoe to the San Diego Comicon and, per usual, Ray Bradbury will be there. What book would convince a 6 year old he's cool? I want Z to be able to see him while she still can, and understand who she's seeing. I picked up Dinosaur Tales - think that'll do the trick?

hmmm... i remember a picture book called 'The Veldt', where these kids had sorta a... VR/holodeck thing as a playroom. They hung out with lions. i think the lions ate their parents

it might be too dark, or it might not... my memory is fuzzy. sorry

posted Hide Post
i haven't read Bradbury in ages, but i'm remembering reading 'The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit' and ending up with a huge grin on my face.. they apparenlty made it into a very obscure movie