Tools

more webcomics?
 Login/Join

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Also, rather like the theory you talked about in another thread about Discworld being an enormous shaggy dog story, I have the feeling that Burlew is doing an enormous deconstruction of a lot of fantasy and role-playing tropes and cliches. (He's already hit the notions of entire races or families having the same alignment or point of view, the smite happy, lawful zealous paladin type, and the behavoir and mentality of PCs among others, and an increasing number of strips seem to exist solely to refute fan attempts to rationalize things according to those conventions and cliches).

Did you ever read the strips that were printed in Dragon? They were all one-shots and pretty much every one attacked an RPG trope. My favourite was a group of hobgoblins sitting around only to be amazed that they all have Dexterity 13, 5 hit points and 1d4 gold pieces. Then they all stop and say, "That mean's we're . . . oh, crap."

And the last panel is of the hobs getting slaughter by the OOTS crew.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knows there is no spoon
Picture of The Wanderer
posted Hide Post
Ha. I didn't see those Dragon strips, but it doesn't surprise me. (Apparently now there's no way to get ahold of them, alas). But it seems like Burlew is really straining and pushing at a lot of the genre conventions, a large number of which are the direct result of bad writing or decent writers with a lot of issues that win up bleeding right into their work.

James

Wandering, but not lost.

"You are a Knight Errant. All of the fun of rescuing damsels, and none of the paperwork." - Royko

Posts: 8394 | Location: New York | Registered: July 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dane Cook's Final Horcrux
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm also a big fan of Pictures for Sad Children, but it's probably not as appealing to most people as any other comic I read. It's sort of a bizarre, disjointed series of interconnected stories that have no concrete beginning or end, and the whole comic has sort of a modernist/absurdist feel to it that I personally quite enjoy. The art itself isn't great, but the artist does a lot of interesting things with panel layouts. If you have a rather bleak sense of humor, I highly recommend it. If not, not so much.

Snazz put me onto this one a while back, and it is all kinds of good! I think the art's amazing, though - I wish I could convey that much so simply (I cannot draw!)

Posts: 20848 | Registered: November 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Er...you convey a lot very simply, too. Smile
That's what I like about your stuff.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
thankyou! Red Face

Wigber
Picture of Mean Old Man
posted Hide Post
This morning's Sinfest deserves a Pulitzer.

(Not hotlinked.)  

Posts: 1154 | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

The Bunny System

I personally don't find either funny. Anyone who does must be sick. SICK.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always wears a tie - just not around his neck
Picture of Graffalke the Chrono-Illogical Alchemist
posted Hide Post
Suicide for Hire

This is one sickly funny comic and for all that also a great well spoken venue for philosophical opinion by the author

Head of internal security of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,  
Catnip Master in the order of the Pineapple.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gunnerkrig Court

This is an another wonderful webcomic, quircky, with a great mix of comedy and drama

Posts: 4068 | Location: Lost in Time.........and Space | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to say that I now realise that Gunnerkrig Court was already mentioned in this thread but I forgot in my utter amazement of finally reading it. It is a very good webcomic!!

Istanbul was never Constantinople. They lied.
Picture of Cyan Dream
posted Hide Post
I think this week is the first time I've ever seen a softer world with no text, except for the scroll-over. It's pretty great.

inagreyplace + colour theory.

Posts: 3426 | Location: purgatory, USA. | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while, I decide that I'm just going to give up reading Something Positive. It gets old and tired, same plots, same people, same sarcasm. Yawn-inducing, y'know?

And then cat-girls go on the rampage and start killing people at a convention. In one case by squeezing a guy's head until it pops off. In-panel. Glorious.

Link to the first big part of the plotline. Hand-waving you into the plot, Jason and Davan are the creators of a cat-girl web-comic they created solely to make cash from cat-girls. It's subtly mocking of its very readership. This is their first time at a convention, and their first panel where the encounter their fans en masse.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr!
Picture of FatPigeon
posted Hide Post
Daisy Owl.

~ Gal-El

I don't have a drinking problem. What I have is a drinking solution.

Posts: 16427 | Location: Haifa, Israel | Registered: August 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
Girls with Slingshots - Jeph Jacques reccomended it on QC today, and it's good!

Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
RIGHT!

I am officially giving up on Ctrl+Alt+Del.

All the characters are either wankers or annoying because they never seem to notice that the wankers are wankers. I dunno, I've been reading it for years, but recently I just actively dislike it.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Domitella:
Girls with Slingshots - Jeph Jacques reccomended it on QC today, and it's good!

It is good, thanks for that. (I've just read the entire lot.)

If I was in Toronto next week I'd go to the signing!

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Domi
posted Hide Post
I am still going through it! Should be finished today.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
This is compelling, but a tad disturbing. Don't be put off by the first. (Or perhaps: yes, do be put off by the first.)

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JackintheBox
posted Hide Post
comedity.com
A story about a man and the voices in his head.
Its over now but it was fun while it lasted.
Also, there is a penguin.

Posts: 66 | Location: In the box in your attic | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil sighting!! In a Webcomic!!

Something Positive