Find
Notify
Tools

Ben Aaronovitch
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted
We've had a few people wondering what to read when finished with Neverwhere in the past, well, this might be just the guy for you.

The Rivers of London series (the first book of which I was suprised to find was renamed 'midnight riot' for the American publication) are some easy reading books which seem perfect for a tv series (this was decided by me this week as I finished the third book of the series).

Peter Grant is a young London poice officer, just finished his training and is destined for a life as a paper pusher, when he is found to have a talent that has him sent to a select part of the force, so select in fact it consists of him and his boss!

Now based at The Folly, he is a magician in training, the first in 40 years and helps investigate the weirder side of London Crime.

I've been finding these very fun and readable, with interesting characters. Having just finished the 3rd book (book 4 due out in 2013).

Has anyone else read it yet?

Find out more at The Folly

eta : Ben has also wrote for Blakes' 7 and Dr Who!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've read the first of the series. I enjoyed it a lot, thought it came somewhere between Neverwhere and UnLunDon. Good fun and with enough darkness and satire to give it some edge.

But yes, perfect for a series.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I read those books! They would make a good series. Peter is great, but I really love his parents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parenthetical enthusiast.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I read them too! I really don't see the point of the US publisher to change the title to Midnight Riot when it's clearly about the rivers of London.

I loved them, pity there's only three.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
So far, 4 is due out this year and Ben has plans for it to be a continuing series.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joccy
Peter is great, but I really love his parents.

Yes!

~

CHIKKINZ?

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
http://temporarilysignificant....ore-into-breach.html Smile

~

CHIKKINZ?

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt it, 'cos a lot of explanations/dialogue happens in his head.

Also, isn't there a new book in that series out this month or next?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
quote:

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt it, 'cos a lot of explanations/dialogue happens in his head.

Also, isn't there a new book in that series out this month or next?

I'm looking forward to it. And yes, broken homes is due out soon.

~

CHIKKINZ?