Find
Notify
Tools

China Mieville
 Login/Join

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Finished reading "Looking for Jake." Really liked it for the most part. A couple of stories felt rushed or unfinished, but most of them were fantastic. The Tain, Jack, Reports of Certain Events near London (even better the second time round), The Ball Room, Looking for Jake.

The one that really surprised me was 'Tis the Season. I've never seen Mieville write something funny before, and that story really cracked me up.

quote:
Dweller said:
Just finished Looking For Jake. Good God, "The Tain" may be the best fantasy novella I've ever read. Ever.

I really dug the Tain, too, but I'm curious as to why you thought it was so fantastic? Was it the whole mythology of the mirrors?

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Most fantasy novellas are basically epic novels that the writer was too lazy to complete, or a short story with one description too many. There's nothing essentially novellaesque about them.

The Tain is just the length it needs to be. There's nothing useful that could be added, there's nothing useless that could be removed.

The changing point of view, the continuing mysteries around the main character, the vivid but not overly drawn descriptions, the essential humanness of the characters - it's all quite excellent.

Of course, you might disagree with all, some or none of those points.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dweller in Darkness said:
Of course, you might disagree with all, some or none of those points.

No, not necessarily. I just thought that was a big statement and wanted to hear your reasonings. Thanks for filling me in!

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
China Mieville is coming to Richmond, VA on February 21st! He will be (I guess) talking at the public library on Franklin Street.

I am excited!

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
You lucky bastard!

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I'll have to let y'all know how it was.

And anybody who's interested in coming to see him should let me know!

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
For those interested Mieville and d20, this month's Dragon has some d20 stuff for running the world of the Perdido Street Station books as a setting.

- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
For those interested Mieville and d20, this month's Dragon has some d20 stuff for running the world of the Perdido Street Station books as a setting.

Cool, I'll try to track that down.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dweller in Darkness:
this month's Dragon

Got it.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I just got UnLunDun yesterday, I need to try to read some of it before going to see Mieville talk next week.

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
It's already out?

*dashes to bookstore*

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
I went to the talk tonight and it was awesome!

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
*is jealous*

Do tell more!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Copied/Pasted from somewhere else:

quote:

It was really, really cool. He read from UnLunDun for about 10 minutes, then there was about 1 hour of Q&A. I only came up with a good question afterwards, in the waiting line for the signing.

The best one-liner of the evening: "I think of monsters ALL THE TIME!"

Then I got my copy signed, and one for my dad's birthday (me: "He's never heard of you..." Him: "We need to rectify this appalling fact"), and one free promotional poster just because they were there.

China is very entertaining, very funny. He doesn't look quite as scary as his promo pictures would have you believe, not quite the street thug, but I still wouldn't mess with him either, seeing the size of his arms.

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
How far are you into Un-Lun-Dun, now?

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Towards the very end. It's very good, a much easier read than his Bas-Lag novels, with more whimsical, and really sillier creatures (the Black Window!), and a bit less "grown-up" themes. I very much recommend it.

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
I've heard it compared to Mieville's work the same way you might compare Thief of Always to Clive Barker's work. I've only read the first chapter, but it seems about right. Thematically, it's very much a Mieville book, but rather different in execution.

- G.K. Chesterton

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Yes, there's a certain thematic relationship, but there's less of an emphasis on the darkness. It's also much less political, or at least, it is much harder to read in a political way.

Administrator/Colporteur
posted Hide Post
One-hour interview with Mieville part way down the page. Mostly about Un Lun Dun and Looking for Jake, but it rambles quite a bit.

- G.K. Chesterton

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Nice.

And there's something about Jonathan Lethem's new novel!!! It's about the LA alternative rock scene? Swwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Sorry. Tangent. Actually, St. Count -- judging from the write-up, you might dig that book, too.