New
Find
Notify
Tools

China Mieville
 Login/Join

Picture of Scramble
posted Hide Post
So far I've only read Un Lun Dun. Funny. I had a gift certificate and it was a toss up between that and a book about the Supreme Court. The author photo decided me. It took me a bit to like the writing style, but I think that's because it was written for children and young adults. I love his use of language. I'll have to read his other works.

Swing it, Brother, Swing.

Posts: 96 | Location: Below my hair | Registered: June 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assistant *fwap*er
Picture of Giabow
posted Hide Post
I finished Perdido Street Station last night. I didn't really enjoy it. I feel like there was two books worth of material in there. Not to mention overly descriptive.

Now I'm wondering if I should try something else by him. Un Lun Dun may have been a fluke.

The only really sane person in there is Igor, and possibly the turnip. And I'm not so sure about the turnip.
~~ Terry Pratchett

Posts: 25462 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
the scar is his best work, hands down, i think, Gia.

It's worth a go. I felt pretty much the same as you about PSS... Iron Council is also very good in parts.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assistant *fwap*er
Picture of Giabow
posted Hide Post
Hm. Thanks, Murph. I'll give it a try.

The only really sane person in there is Igor, and possibly the turnip. And I'm not so sure about the turnip.
~~ Terry Pratchett

Posts: 25462 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
also, the scar is chronologically just after PSS, and while not a follow up as such, it has a couple of recurring characters

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Giabow:
I finished Perdido Street Station last night. I didn't really enjoy it. I feel like there was two books worth of material in there. Not to mention overly descriptive.

I don't see how a surfeit of riches is a bad thing in a book. For instance it would take a typical writer about three chapters to do what William Gibson did in the first few pages of Count Zero, and that's why I love it.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yhpruMcM [mulysa eht ni nam enas tsal]:
the scar is his best work, hands down, i think, Gia.

It's worth a go. I felt pretty much the same as you about PSS... Iron Council is also very good in parts.

I felt like IC was patchier than PSS, actually. It has some very good parts, for example I really like Judah's golems, and Toro, but it's my least favorite of all three Bas-Lag novels.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assistant *fwap*er
Picture of Giabow
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see how a surfeit of riches is a bad thing in a book. For instance it would take a typical writer about three chapters to do what William Gibson did in the first few pages of Count Zero, and that's why I love it.

For me, it distracts from the actual plot. When you go on for three pages about how the city looks, you lose my attention. Use some well chosen descriptive words and let my imagination do the rest.
I have the same problem with Anne Rice.

~~ Terry Pratchett

Picture of Raze
posted Hide Post
I bought Looking For Jake the other day, although I've never read anything else by the author. I was actually looking for Un Lun Dun which wasn't in stock. I'm not sure if a short story collection is the best place to start with an author (although bar Sandman and Wordsworth from the Hellraiser comic series, Smoke & Mirrors was the first Gaiman book I read and that worked out alright...) but the other one they had in stock seemed to be part of a series.
Perhaps I'll read it soon, then have something more interesting to say. Cool

Posts: 51 | Location: Gullsreach | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
iron council, the scar and Perdido street station are all set int he same universe, but i wouldn't say you need to read em in any aprticular order.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Picture of Raze
posted Hide Post
Oh that's good to know. It was Iron Council that they had, but The Scar was in stock last time I looked too. If it doesn't matter though, I'll see what I think of Looking For Jake and then probably just buy whichever takes my fancy.

Posts: 51 | Location: Gullsreach | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend starting with Iron Council. I'm with St. Count Zero on this, it's got some very good stuff in it but it's my least favorite of the Bas Lag books.

Looking for Jake is great, though. There's lots of excellent stories in there, I think.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raze
posted Hide Post
Update on Looking For Jake; I'm on the novella now. At first I was slightly unsure of the collection... I think a couple of the stories near the start were quite weak (the one about the streets in particular. I got the point of it, I just don't think it worked very well) but stories like The Ball Room were amazing. Then as the book went on, the quality seemed to remain very high. Really enjoyed it so far, and the brief bit of The Tain I've read seems equally as good.

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I'm about halfway through Perdido Street Station, and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's original, it doesn't have the twee Disney World flavour of so much fantasy, it's political, and the characters are fascinating.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
I'm about halfway through Un Lun Dun right now -- which means it's gotten really good Smile I was a bit worried at first, because although there's the trademark kick-ass Mieville weirdness, the first 75 pages or so felt forced. Maybe it's because I had a pretty good idea that things were going to go bad with Zanna, because I was pretty sure Mieville wouldn't write something so typical of the heroic fantasy quest. I don't know. But when they got to the bridge and everything happened with Zanna, and the book got all sullen, and Brokkenbroll showed up, I started really loving it.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
My apologies for the thread necromancy... I recently finished Iron Council and liked it a lot. I liked both plot strands; in some ways they felt a bit like a fantasy take on Deadwood and on the political extremism of the 70s (I'm reading The Baader Meinhof Complex at the moment). I do think that Mieville gets too carried away with his language every now and then, overusing words and names that aren't quite as clever as the book thinks they are, but apart from that I love his writing.

I was somewhat underwhelmed with Un Lun Dun, though; loved the world but felt that all the characters were one-dimensional. I didn't buy a single one of them as anything else than cartoons.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
hellblazer #250-new issue of hellblazer, i picked it up today, has a piece by mieville in it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the upcoming The City & The City.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZoneSeek:
Looking forward to the upcoming The City & The City.

Got it, just back from the bookstore. Woo!

Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
Damn, I need to get that.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post