Find
Notify
Tools

China Mieville
 Login/Join

is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
I should probably read The City & The City now, since i'm encouraging everyone else to!

(And btw, his children's book, Un-Lun-Don, is just a joy - playing with the myth/prophesy story, and with lots of Gaiman/Gilliam-esque flourishes - even a hint of Alice in there)

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I've found Un Lun Dun to be a bit hit and miss without people I know with whom I usually share literary tastes. Some of them found it to be a little too predictable and, as one person, "It tries so hard to be innovative that it manages to be just mildly interesting."

I love it, and think it's excellent YA literature, but YMMV.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
Nel
quote:
Ooooh, read fast m'Lady, I would love to trade ideas about this book with someone reading it fresh like me!

Finished, finally. Sorry it took me a while. (had another book I needed to finish first.) I liked it. it did take me a bit to get use to the writing style, but I think it added to the story.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Mr.Push
posted Hide Post
i finished "the city & the city" a few days ago. i really enjoyed it. its true its quite different from his other stuff. but i think thats also part of why its interesting.

i think its clear he is going for an absurdist/magic realism feel with this. which is why there are name checks for the likes of kafka. its got that kind of feel, at least to some degree, for me. i think thats also why its set in eastern europe.

i guess it also makes it easier to set it in a part of europe where most of his readers will be less familiar with. we get a vague sense of where this place is from its surroundings, but we know its not real. i think thats also why the pop-culture/cultural references are important, they ground it. helping the book to have that whole "this is real" drive to it.

of course as we get into the whole idea of the city and the city it does get into that surreal space. the whole unseeing, unhearing. i loved that. such a nice idea, and so nicely done. especially when he just hits the reader with it, and only gradually explains what the hell he is talking about.

i'd seen comments on twitter from friends who read it sooner that they loved the first 2/3rds, and felt the last 1/3rd lost it. with that in mind as i was reading i could see that. the first two parts work really well, the contrasts, the textures, the way our detective goes about his work. the last bit kind of loses that, takes us out of the picture. to a degree i think it still works, but it does certainly change how it feels, at least to me.

but yeah, i enjoyed this a hell of a lot.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Keep Things Strange

Posts: 1769 | Location: WGB GLASGOW CHAPTER | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is like fusion cuisine, if Canada can be seen as having a cuisine.
Picture of G~R
posted Hide Post
I read most of "King Rat" a few weeks ago - I say "most" because by the last bit I lost interest and didn't end up finishing.

However, I am now reading "Perdido Street Station" and am completely engrossed, to the point that I am blaming the book for my writer's block Razz
It's a page-turner!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no maps for these places we're lost within
Originally Registered: June 14, 2007

Posts: 2535 | Location: Happy Place | Registered: October 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
"not braving, but frowning"

I am in the middle of "Kraken" and holy crap am I loving that book!
I'd ticked Mieville off as being good with ideas but meh with characters. But dude! I want to hug him!

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Still not in at the frackin' library!

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no member title
Picture of His Noodle Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh no! It arrived at my library two weeks ago, which is surprising because normally we get books and movies months after everyone else does.

Hope you get yours soon.

__
I like it maybe 63 percent!

Posts: 15475 | Location: Bouncing round in bathrooms! | Registered: October 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
i don't know why, but i've never actually heard of this guy until last night when i was reading through this board
and because of what was written here by all of you, i just went out this morning and picked up a copy of King Rat

thanks all!

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lexis Nexus
Picture of St.CountZero
posted Hide Post
King Rat's not bad, but it's not on par with later works like Perdido Street Station or The Scar, in my opinion.

I still need to get Kraken, too.

----------------------------
Adept of the Burning Chrome

Posts: 16373 | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
i havent started it yet, but i did see Kraken at the book store when i was there last night, it looks pretty good

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I just got my hands on Kraken. Smile

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
My apologies for the thread necromancy, but I'm currently reading The City & the City and enjoying it a lot. Curious to see whether Miéville will manage to bring it to a satisfying end - IMO so many books with a clever conceit don't quite manage to do so - but I definitely like the writing a lot. It's less baroque and self-consciously verbose than some of his other novels (which I also like, but every now and then feel that "less is more").

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thirith & His Enormous Tibia:
My apologies for the thread necromancy, but I'm currently reading The City & the City and enjoying it a lot. Curious to see whether Miéville will manage to bring it to a satisfying end - IMO so many books with a clever conceit don't quite manage to do so - but I definitely like the writing a lot. It's less baroque and self-consciously verbose than some of his other novels (which I also like, but every now and then feel that "less is more").

I'm definitely a "less is more" person. I have to admit that I started PSS a while ago and couldn't finish it after reading about one third. I found it kind of inaccessible and hard to follow, partly because of the language, and partly because of the pacing. That said, I will probably give it another try now because I'm loving The City and the City, which I'm just about to finish. I also started Looking for Jake last week and am enjoying it very much. Reports Of Certain Events In London is probably the best short story I've read in a while. And after reading this thread I'm definitely feeling that I'm losing something if I don't give Mieville's other stuff a try.

Posts: 1 | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really wish his rumored Swamp Thing comic had happened. It's always fun to watch a novelist switch to comics.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
He's done some writing for comics, at least in one short story in Looking for Jake. Not sure about other comics work, though.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by library lady:
I just got my hands on Kraken. Smile

Me too, just started it yesterday and whoo-boy it picks up with the weird quick!

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
posted Hide Post
I've just got started on Embassytown but can't say much about it so far - other than being a bit annoyed with Miéville's lexophilia. Now there's a writer who never met a made-up word he didn't like. I trust him to make it work, though.

is imperfectly illuminated
Picture of Murphy
posted Hide Post
Loving Kraken... it's a little lighter on it's feet than PSS or Iron Council, less doomy, more fun, but still pretty brutish at times.

Great fun to read. And I weakened and got a hardback of Embassytown, which I've got lined up next.

---------------
*is currently impressed*

Posts: 8147 | Location: London, England | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post