Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    (HUGE-ASS SPOILERS WARNING) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Discussion thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 57
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(HUGE-ASS SPOILERS WARNING) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Discussion thread
 Login/Join

Hi everybody!
Picture of Aliens from Zyphorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whilst i was look for that for you I also noticed that Sirius's Uncle was called Alphard. JK seems to carry names on generationally as middle names. So would i be wrong to assume that Sirius has his father's first name as his middle name, (whatever that may be), and Regulus might have got his uncle's name...that would fit in with the RAB. What do you reckon?

Yes I agree with you because as I said earlier that Regulus might have been tracked down and killed becuase he stole the locket. I also thought up another possibility. Maybe he was kinda like Snape, you know, being one on the inside of Voldemort's circle of followers. He somehow found out about his Horcruxes and found his locket in the cave. Regulus might of found out about Horcruxes from Lestrange (remember there was a Lestrange in Slughorn's memory) and after Lestrange and the rest "left" Lestrange stayed behind and listened in on what the young Tom Riddle and Slughorn was talking about and then reported it back to Regulus who might still have been at Hogwarts or have already graduated.

Posts: 848 | Location: A Zyphorn Mother Ship Above Earth | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retro-girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jak:
[QUOTE]
(incidentally, i wonder what happened to James' family? i kind of assume they were all killed, but how come harry never hears from or about them? sirius mentions mr. and mrs. potter in book 5, but other than that...)

Yeah...i want to know that too...and is it coincidence that they lived in a place called "Godric's Hollow" and were both Gryfindors? Could Harry be the heir of Gryfindor like Tom Riddle's the heir of Slytherin?

The other thing i was waiting for re: the Potters was why were Lily's eyes so special? I think it is more than a repeated passing remark that people comment on Harry's eyes.

Any ideas?

"Money can't buy you friends, but it does get you a better class of enemy" ~ Spike Milligan

Posts: 137 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retro-girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Voldemort:

Maybe he was kinda like Snape, you know, being one on the inside of Voldemort's circle of followers. He somehow found out about his Horcruxes and found his locket in the cave. Regulus might of found out about Horcruxes from Lestrange (remember there was a Lestrange in Slughorn's memory) and after Lestrange and the rest "left" Lestrange stayed behind and listened in on what the young Tom Riddle and Slughorn was talking about and then reported it back to Regulus who might still have been at Hogwarts or have already graduated.

Yeah, i think Regulus was smarter than he seemed if he figured the Horcrux thing out, (or maybe he was told, though he would be much younger than the Lestrange in the memory, as he's the younger brother and Sirius went to school a long time after Riddle. (Can anyone figure out the proper timeline? I really struggle with it!) But being Death Eaters they could have shared info.

Is it possible he had an accomplice for the locket though? What was that about needing 2 wizards to get it, but only one can fit in the boat???

But in any case, i think he got the locket without Voldemort's knowledge, and perhaps as he was trying to repent, say, he got illiminated by the Death Eaters. Or he could have been a spy, yes.

"Money can't buy you friends, but it does get you a better class of enemy" ~ Spike Milligan

Posts: 137 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
When I had completed the Half Blood Prince, I had a question on my mind: Remember that to create a Horcrux, you need to kill someone? Well, remember that Dumbledore killed Grindelwald. So couldn't Dumbledore have secretly created a Horcrux of his own?

Posts: 848 | Location: A Zyphorn Mother Ship Above Earth | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retro-girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember that to create a Horcrux, you need to kill someone? Well, remember that Dumbledore killed Grindelwald. So couldn't Dumbledore have secretly created a Horcrux of his own?

yeah, i thought of that too...but being an advocate for 'not being afraid of death' wouldn't that be a bit hypocritical of him?

if he did though...Sword of Godric Gryfindor? Fawlkes?

The next book is going to have to be massive to answer all my bloody questions! lol

Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
quote:
yeah, i thought of that too...but being an advocate for 'not being afraid of death' wouldn't that be a bit hypocritical of him?
if he did though...Sword of Godric Gryfindor? Fawlkes?

Yeah he wasn't 'afraid of death' but sensing later on (perhaps after Harry came out of the maze at the end of the fourth book) he created a Horcrux so that he could come back and help Harry finding the remaining Horcruxes.

posted Hide Post
ok....well i think ur missin somethin int he whole RAB thing....he would need an accomplice....dumbledore is one of the greatest wizards and he needed harry to get the locket....what makes you think black could....or who helped him?

Off in the distance the game's draggin' on
There's strikes on the batter, some runners are on
I don't know the inning, I've forgotten the score
The whole team is yelling and I don't know what for
Suddenly everyone's looking at me
My mind has been wandering - what could it be?
They point to the sky and I look up above
And a baseball falls into my glove

Posts: 7 | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of retro-girl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Hut:
he would need an accomplice....dumbledore is one of the greatest wizards and he needed harry to get the locket....what makes you think black could....or who helped him?

That's exactly what i'm trying to figure out..he must have had someone with him. Regulus could have been a a very capable wizard, we only have Sirius's view off him, and he is a bit biased...

But i can't figure out how two reasonably abled wizards could fit in that boat, and who that other person could be...

And yes, Dumbledore did need Harry to get the locket, but who's to say that the liquid in the bowl wasn't a different substance than what Regulus had to deal with...Regulus could have left a poison for Voldemort...

Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok....well i think ur missin somethin int he whole RAB thing....he would need an accomplice....dumbledore is one of the greatest wizards and he needed harry to get the locket....what makes you think black could....or who helped him?

Remember this though, when Dumbledore and Harry got the locket it had already been stolen. This would mean that the potion could be a different substance than that of before. This meaning that perhaps Regulus put a different potion in it to slow down the "Dark Lord" or anyone else from retrieving this Horcrux.

posted Hide Post
I really think that the potion was the same for a couple of reasons: 1) if it was really a different potion to posion Voldemort, wouldn't he noticed after one drink and stop immediately (remember, Dumbledore seemed fine until about the 3rd or 4th gobletful) 2) Harry could not put water into the cup and figured Voldemort made it so so that the Inferi would attack. Voldemort controlled them, so he would not have to fear them. What I want to know is what the potion was, it seemed to me that maybe Dumbledore was reliving some of his worst memories (something to do with dementors, anyone?).

P.S. Fun fact: Inferi - Latin for "those down below, the dead." (JKR is soo smart)
Anyone find or know the origin of horcrux? (crux does seem to have a Latin connection to "cross")

Posts: 8 | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
regulus wouldnt want ot change the potion....if he did voldamort would know it had been tampered wiht and wouldnt bother finding it the locket again...that would take away from how dramatic the note is...or even the chance of it being found

posted Hide Post
I Like the way you think, Pizza Hut! Wink

posted Hide Post
I like retro girl's and nikki's ideas on this. my friend and i figured out it was regulus today. but i dont think dumbledore made one because even to talk about one is taboo. its powerful dark magic and dumbledore isnt into that.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, we are not even sure that Dumbledore killed Grindewald (sp?). His chocolate frog states that he defeated him, not killed him. To go with that, when Dumbledore battles Voldemort in the 5th book, Voldemort asks Dumbledore "You do not wish to kill me?" and Dumbledore replies "There are worse things than death." Besides, it sounds to me that in order to create a horcrux, the murder must be of an innocent person, otherwise an Auror who kills a death eater would also rip his soul in two (even if he doesn't create a horcrux). I think just killings are exempt.

posted Hide Post
wow fyi, RetroGirl and Nikki are geniuses.
but to add more to the background of horcruxes, nikki said that "crux" means "cross" but could the be intepreted as "split" as in "split your soul"?

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could have some kind of reference to split, I really don't know the origin of horcrux at all, just throwing out something I found! Smile

posted Hide Post
did sluggy ever get the venom from aragog ( whatever his anme is)?....and why towards the end did sluggy seemso much mroe interested int he value of thins....also noting that the unicorn hari hagrid was using was worth plenty

posted Hide Post
Slughorn did in fact get his venom, while examining the acrumantala (sp?) he bottles some, Harry notices him slipping a bottle back into his pocket. Also, from what I gather throughout the whole book, Slughorn has always been driven by material possessions. One reason he flocks to well-connected students is to reap rewards from their relationships down the line. (ex: quidditch tickets, crystalized pineapples,ect...) He's kind of a collector, like the woman Voldemort visits (as Tom Riddle) and steals the cup and locket from.

On another note...I believe Dumbledore and Sirius are trully gone. I think another reason JK threw Sirius's will in the story was to kind of finalize his death. Also, the full body bind hex lifted after Snape performed the killing curse, true, he could have removed it but I think it was to show that he was really gone. I don't think that Voldemort will be able to turn Dumbledore into an Inferi, I am sure the White Tomb carries some sort of protection from that.

Interesting thing I read on another website, some claim that Harry is the last unknown horcrux (through some sort of accident when he didnt die from the curse). Kinda far-fetched, but worth a thought or two. Could mean for our hero to win that they both will die. Frown Others claim that there are only six horcruxes, Voldemort did not get a chance to make another because the last one was to be made from Harry's murder. All interesting thoughts, I really don't want to wait 2 years for the answers, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nikki,

posted Hide Post
R.A.B.

Ok, I know this sounds relatively simple, but then again, you never know it may be simple enough since Rowling seemd to leave most readers in shock. But, R.A.B. may be the initials for one of the shopowners of Burgin & Burkes. Remember at the begininng, Hermoine already saw the necklace in question and they stated they bought it from Voldemorts mother. Well, I am sure Voldemort took the necklace from the shop while he worked there. And since it was in the shop at the beginning, have to ask yourself how? And the shoppwners are sellers of Dark Arts objects, somehow found out about the whereabouts. Since Voldemort would not come back for the necklace till he needed it, he would not know? Just a thought, crazy I am sure. But we only hear of one of the shopkeepers still being alive...or mentioned, so the other may be dead as the note mentions.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im still thinkin that RAB stand for 2 ppl. example Remus and Black...no idea who...im wonder if she doesnt tell us...just liek we had no idea who the half blood prince was till later