Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    (HUGE-ASS SPOILERS WARNING) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Discussion thread
Page 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(HUGE-ASS SPOILERS WARNING) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Discussion thread
 Login/Join

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
I hate the idea of cutting a movie in two. But I'd be up for a movie twice the size. Hell, if kids can read an 800+ pg. Harry Potter book, they can hang in a 3-4 hour movie.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Runs with wolves, yahr!
Picture of Lady Jasmine
posted Hide Post
Yeah, twice the size would be a better option...I mean look at the length of LOTR, why not do the same thing for Harry?

I was just disappointed, because what was there in the last movie was SO well done, and it made me wonder what they would have done with what they cut...

~You're in the Moulin Rouge babe! Your next month's rent depends on it!~

~We'd be so lost...if we weren't 'us'"~

Posts: 4138 | Location: Enchanted Mists | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jasmine:
Yeah, twice the size would be a better option...I mean look at the length of LOTR, why not do the same thing for Harry?

I was just disappointed, because what was there in the last movie was SO well done, and it made me wonder what they would have done with what they cut...

Yep.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hi everybody!
Picture of Aliens from Zyphorn
posted Hide Post
The movie for book 5 probably will be the same length as a Lord of the Rings movie. This is because it has 800+ pages, and Lord of the Rings was around that size, right? So book 5 is bound to be around the same length as a Lord of the Rings movie.

Posts: 848 | Location: A Zyphorn Mother Ship Above Earth | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i was just thinking that rowling could do a matrix on us, and say that harry isnt the chosen one and that he' gonna die anyway, which is an angle that i dont think we looked at ( if we have asorry 4 bringing it up again) the propechy is androgynous and could mean many things so we cant be sure...
wot do u lot think

War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left

Posts: 25 | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By "androgenous" do you mean the killer of Lord Tommort might be Ginny?

That is a very outside chance. Neville (sharing the birthday and all) is a strong contender though.

see Dom's musings on toy collecting at www.alleyviper.com

Posts: 48 | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
androgynous may not be the right word. the word i mean is one which means something can have more than on emeaning, which is wot i think. maybe nobdy has the power to stop tom riddle,unless....
unless every student in hogwarts attacks at the same time, and as u cant apparate in hogwarts.....

Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
I think that at the final battle, all of Dumbledore's Army. When they fight the Death Eaters and Voldemort, they will have to do some sort of continuous spell to weaken Voldemort, thus allowing Harry to battle him with a better chance of winning.

Posts: 848 | Location: A Zyphorn Mother Ship Above Earth | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the word Infentisamal was looking for as "ambiguous".

Dumbledor said that Tommort chose Harry by nominating him as a target. Of course, he also bound Harry's fate to his. So, while Harry is instrumental to Tommort's prospects, it may be someone else, (Neville?) who kills Tommort.

So, yes, in that respect, there is ambiguity.

posted Hide Post
thats the word
of course there could be no one to kill the dark lord.
james potter-gone
lily potter-gone
quirrel-gone
aragog-gone
sirius-gone
the weasely's-alive but bill "damaged", percy outside family vulnerable
dumbledore-gone
hogwarts-fate unknown
ginny,ron, hermione-extremely vulnerable
pettrigrew- owes adebt to harry, so will do something soon

a lot of things in harry's life are gone. my guess is voldy is gonna destroy those who are closest to harry, to hurt harry. my other guess is that how the hell uis harry gonna find the locket (if it is not destroyed and in grimmauld place, in tha case how long will it take to realise that) the cup, the snake, something of ravencalws/ gryffindor ( though i highly doubt it will be godric's) and kill voldermort. someone/thing has gotta help him (perhaps regulus, but i doublt it, isnt he dead, maybe aberforth)
sorry this is so long but i guess i havent thought about things for so oong and rereading the book brings fresh i deas. tell me wot you guys think.

posted Hide Post
Okay, harry probably wont go back to school because 1) DD died. The only people he really has at the school would be Hagrid, Hermione, and Ron. he could go become a auror, hunt Voldemmort down, kill him but will also kill himself while killing voldemort. Didnt JKR say a main character was going to die in the next book.....probably Harry or Ron and Hermione

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Psittacula servus
Picture of parrotslave
posted Hide Post
One question that I keep wondering about is why haven't the Death Eaters gone after the Dursleys?

With the Dursleys gone, wouldn't the spell that protects Harry while he lives with them no longer be in effect?

---------
She was not quite what you would call refined.
She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
~ Mark Twain

Eternity lies ahead of us, and behind. Have you eaten enough ice cream?

Posts: 1119 | Location: island of misfit toys | Registered: January 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the spell protects both Harry and the others from harm, until he is 18. Of course, as seen in #5, Dementors are immune to that spell.

Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dominic Guglieme:
I think the spell protects both Harry and the others from harm, until he is 18. Of course, as seen in #5, Dementors are immune to that spell.

This is correct, except one thing is wrong. When Harry turns *17* is when the spell will wear off. Remember that they reach adulthood at 17 in the wizarding world.

posted Hide Post
exactly
and anyway even if the dursleys were dead, the protection lives on in harry's blood so he would still be protected. and i reckon the dementors were abe to attack him because 1) it was by the ministry (stupid ***** umbridge, i h8 her soo much) and 2) he was outside the house so vulnerable.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitisemal:

a lot of things in harry's life are gone. my guess is voldy is gonna destroy those who are closest to harry, to hurt harry. my other guess is that how the hell uis harry gonna find the locket (if it is not destroyed and in grimmauld place, in tha case how long will it take to realise that) the cup, the snake, something of ravencalws/ gryffindor ( though i highly doubt it will be godric's) and kill voldermort. someone/thing has gotta help him (perhaps regulus, but i doublt it, isnt he dead, maybe aberforth)
sorry this is so long but i guess i havent thought about things for so oong and rereading the book brings fresh i deas. tell me wot you guys think.

Kreacther/Black's house elf probably knows the whereabouts of the locket, as he was collecting momentos from the house. I think it's iffy that he'll know the significance of the locket.

As far as all that is "gone" from HP's life, that's probably Voldy's strategy. Isolate him, take all that mean something to him. That will leave him alone and vulnerable. Eek

Posts: 42 | Registered: August 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Infinitisemal
quote:
and anyway even if the dursleys were dead, the protection lives on in harry's blood so he would still be protected.

I don't exactly agree with this 100%. True, the magical bond of love is found within Harry's blood, he had to live with the Dursley's for a certain period of time each year in order for Harry to have the bond run thru his veins. In the seventh book, he has to go home for only a certain period of time and then that would be his last time having to go there. So, for the first 17 years of his life he had to live with the Dursley's to stay alive. After that, he is on his own. Oh, and Happy Holidays to everyone.

posted Hide Post
yeah i guess. maybe he will become secret keeper for 12 grimmauld place and live there is protection

Hi everybody!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and he will join the Order of the Phoenix in the next book as well. All the meetings will be held there as well.

posted Hide Post
Okay so since voldyis killing everyone close to harry, what do you think is going to happen to the wealseys? they arent protected and so voldy could easily kill them or hold them hostage or something.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post