Find
Notify
Tools

Simon R Green
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted
Simon R Green wrote Shadows Fall, one of my top 3 books.

below is the opening paragraph :

quote:

There's a town where dreams go to die. A place where nightmares end, and hope itself can rest. Where all stories find their ending, all quests are concluded, and every lost soul finds its way home at last. There have always been such places, scattered here and there in the dark corners of the world, but down the years, as science grew and magic waned, much of the wonder went out of the world, and the hidden places grew few and far between. Now there is only the small town of Shadows Fall, tucked away in the back of beyond and overlooked by the everyday world. Few roads lead there, and fewer still lead out again. You won't find Shadows Fall on any map, but it'll be there for you, if you need it badly enough.

i adore this book, it is one i've had to buy several times as each time i buy it i lend it out...and it never comes back!

i've just recently got a copy of out the library to read it again.

has anyone else read this or any of his other books?

I also love his blue moon rising series, and the hawk and fisher series (especially when the connection dawned on me!) and the few i've read about his nightside books have also been fun.

i must admit to never having read his deathstalker books! i should really shouldn't i?...

so, anyone else a Simon R Green fan and if not, get yourself hold of a copy of Shadows Fall and let me know if you fall in love with it as much as i have.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I read... something from him, a few years back. it was a detective-y thing and entertaining. ermmm... something about wine at midnight.

I shall give this one a go!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
will crush you with her mighty shoe
Picture of ninjabatty
posted Hide Post
I've read every nightside book and I'm gonna buy them all next so I can read back through them againSmile The first time I read the term 'sisters of the immaculate chainsaw" I fell to the floor in giggles.
I didn't realize until today that the Deathstalker series tied into the nightside series. Maybe I should pick it up?

"Don't be surprised if your son gets his butt kicked by a rabbit one of these days."
-Zoe to her mother in Baby Blues

Posts: 2684 | Location: Behind your sofa | Registered: February 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
and apparently it ties into shadows fall too!

i haven't read deathstalker because i'm not a big sci-fi fan...but i really should try it as his books are never what you quite expect, i've found he takes the genre and twists it.

i think you read drinking midnight wine meave - it was one of his books and a standalone.

i've read the first nightside book - i should start looking out for the rest...i wonder if my brother got them - i could steal borrow them off him!

edited because i'm determined to try and add an s to the word fall

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
i have read more nightside and they're still good. i need MOAR though ....

~

CHIKKINZ?

Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I never did get any of these books. Fabulous timing though Smaug, I need something new to read Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
I found Nightside interesting, but couldn't really get into either the Deathwalker or the Drood books.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
And so all 12 of the nightside books were read and enjoyed.

That is all, please feel free to comment, start a discusion on characters e.g. who is cooler, deadboy ir razer eddie or carry on reading the forum.

...deadboy is cool but razer eddie is cooler

~

CHIKKINZ?

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
And I haven't tried the drood books yet but feel I should. One day.

~

CHIKKINZ?