Find
Notify
Tools

Fanfic recs
 Login/Join

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted
There's another thread about fanfic in this section of the board, but this is simply a rec thread, for when you come across a remarkable (in any sense of the word) fanfic.

It might help if you include whether it is gen, het or slash, so that people can see what might be their cup of tea or not.

I'll start with And Is There Honey Still For Tea? This is Winnie-the-Pooh apocafic (you read that right) by the incomparable Jay Tryfanstone, and it's gen, and it will stamp your heart into teeny pieces.

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I feel unqualified to read it since I know not what the terms 'gen', 'het' and 'slash' mean.

I feel so old. Smile

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Meh. I don't know what half the terms used by industrial musicians actually mean, but I still like industrial music.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I feel unqualified to read it since I know not what the terms 'gen', 'het' and 'slash' mean.

I feel so old. Smile

Gen: fic where romance is not a major plot point.

Het: fic which includes heterosexual romance, or indeed heterosexual smexin's.

Slash: fic which includes male/male romance, or indeed male/male smexin's.

Femmeslash: fic which includes female/female romance, or indeed female/female smexin's.

...also, not old, just not in the same subculture: the slash pioneers began with Star Trek: the original series, so you are a mere babe compared with our foresmutters! (The term "slash" comes from the "/" in old-skool Kirk/Spock stories.)

enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
Oh man - why all the sub-genres? where's the sense of surprise when what you thought was going to be Harry and Hermione somethin'somethin' turned out to be Granger/Patel/Patel all unbeknownst?!

(and I'm still bummed I never saved off some copies from the ol' WGB 'write bad pr0n' thread; those were good times, good times...)

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duncan s.:
Oh man - why all the sub-genres? where's the sense of surprise when what you thought was going to be Harry and Hermione somethin'somethin' turned out to be Granger/Patel/Patel all unbeknownst?!

Well, plenty of people (including me) will read anything by a good author, regardless of genre and even source canon. But if you are in a particular mood for het AU OT4 mpreg tentaclefic, or slash curtainfic, or even a gen Cammieverse drabble, then labels can be useful.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
This is a very short gen piece (ie no smexin' or even pairings) featuring Old Spice Man, Feminist Hulk, and Judith Butler.

It's glorious.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
hee!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
You know you want this, you really do.

(Hint: it features the Scalziorc, Wil Wheaton in a clown jumper, and the unicorn pegasus kitten. And quite a lot of cool authors.)

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Goodnight Moon apocafic. Seriously, it's wonderful.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Holy shit, this is good.

It's a discworld Watch story. No romance, no pairings (other than canon), but a really, really impressive werewolf story involving Vimes.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Holy shit, this is good.

It's a discworld Watch story. No romance, no pairings (other than canon), but a really, really impressive werewolf story involving Vimes.

I didn't finish it yet, but it's not bad. It's not Pratchett, but it's almost but not quite got his cadence.

Done! I agree that the story is good and it is what the characters would have done, but it's like reading Night Watch and then going back and reading The Light Fantastic. You can see the differences in story telling and writing style. But there's an underlying humour that's certainly gotten darker as years go by that wasn't really in this story. I think that's what I missed.

Oh and I don't think Carrot would lie like that. He's gotten more devious about it nowadays.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maeve,

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Somebody read one of my recs! That makes me absurdly pleased, Maeve, thank you.

You are right - it isn't Pratchett, but for what it is, it's still pretty good. (I think the final Pratchett-step, which I think is difficult for anybody not-Pratchett, is that thing where you can see the obvious end coming a mile off, and then there's a twist, and you get both the obvious end and the twist, but neither are anything like what you thought they would be. Pratchett is very good at the endless double-bluff, .)

I think I'm just desperate to read more Vimes, too, and this gave me a very welcome, very good Vimes-fix.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I read the other ones too! I just didn't find anything to say about them. But just 'cos I didn't say anything didn't mean I didn't read it!

This story would/might fit in well with the City Watch telly thingy they were discussing.

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
Calvin and Hobbes, 25 years on. It's adorable.

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hive:
Calvin and Hobbes, 25 years on. It's adorable.

So, for this artist, Calvin and Susie got married and spawned???

*brain asplodes*

Devlin loves Calvin & Hobbes. He's loved-to-death some of my old books. (I really need to buy the Complete collection thingy) and he's often said that he wanted to write more strips. And I told him he couldn't 'cos of legality and all that crap. I should really just shut my damn piehole, huh?

Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
he's often said that he wanted to write more strips. And I told him he couldn't 'cos of legality and all that crap.

He can, as long as he doesn't claim he owns the original characters, and he doesn't make money from it, is what I learned on the internet vaguely understand the legal situation to be.

half the man he used to be
posted Hide Post
wow those hobbes and bacon strips were actually really good!

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
The new Narnia novel.

I loved the Narnia books with all my heart when a small child, and kidlet and I read them again a couple of years ago. (When I had more to critique than before, but well, that's another story.)

This, as far as I'm concerned, is the recently-discovered eighth book, it's that good. It comes just after the events of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Eskov: LotR was revisionist history written by the victors, demonizing the steppe-nomadic Urukhai, etc. Mordor was the rationalist Enlightenment, on the verge of an industrial revolution, so it had to be destroeyd. This is probably the best-written fanfic I've ever read, it earned its own Wikipedia page.

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality: I'm currently reading the PDF. Harry brings the scientific method and knowledge of cognitive biases to Hogwarts. It's long, and some parts drag, but some of it's quite funny.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post