Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  The World's End  Hop To Forums  Other Writers    Great book titles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great book titles
 Login/Join

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted
Never mind if you liked the book or not, or even if you've read the book or not. Just post the book titles that wowed you.

Dave Eggers, "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." A *slight* exaggeration. But great, "overflowing with blood and sentiment and a simple bare longing for people who are gone."

Arthur Clarke, "The Songs of Distant Earth." Bought this on the strength of the title and the first few pages. Didn't like most of it.

Posts: 2618 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "One Hundred Years of Solitude." Reminds me of Dream trapped in that magic circle.

Posts: 2618 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nebari Rogue
Picture of LestatsTralk
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury's "I Sing the Body Electric"

Posts: 498 | Location: Coma Guy's Room | Registered: July 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I sing the body Electric"

Is that a poem...? that's really familiar to me. Unfortunately right now off the top of my head, I can't think of any unusual striking titles. Give me time though.

I'll see you in another life when we are both cats

Posts: 43 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: February 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Archus dracomagii
Picture of Chomiji
posted Hide Post
Yes, "I Sing The Body Electric" was the title of a poem by Walt Whitman. Bradbury borrowed it for his book.

A Nice Day for Screaming, and Other Tales of the Hub - a book of short stories by James K. Schmitz (better known for the great, sweet space opera The Witches of Karres)

- Cho

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
You are a Confectioner. Who can take a sunrise and sprinkle it with dew? Actually, that's Bob The Enchanter, two doors down on the left. But you make delectable treats, which is no simple feat considering Oompa Loompas won't be invented for three centuries. Not only do you delight with your sweets, but you've paved the way for a new profession: dentistry!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
the blog thing: From an Ayewards World ...

Posts: 2603 | Location: Takoma Park, MD, USA | Registered: June 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Do androids dream of electric sheep

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20556 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Tom Robbins is the KING of great book titles.

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas

Posts: 37697 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Bradbury, "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Carl Sagan, "The Dragons of Eden." Dated but still entertaining. And there was a great chapter title in "Broca's Brain:" "That World Which Beckons Like a Liberation."

Picture of psyche
posted Hide Post
i like the titles of the time quartet series by madeleine l'engle(?)

a wrinkle in time
a wind in the door
a swiftly tilting planet
many waters

lurk.... lurk.... lurk....

Posts: 628 | Location: 8000 light years from earth | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What fruit bat?
Picture of jak
posted Hide Post
Neverwhere Razz

The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (by Douglas Adams)

impressions

Posts: 2584 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Meh. The closest Gaiman came to a really good title was "A Game of You."

Erica Jong, "Fear of Flying." A little disappointing, I expected more from a title like that.
Tim Allen, "Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man."

Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Blood Sugar Sex Magik." I don't even like the Chili Peppers, but I STILL can't get over that title.

working on his degree in brapping
Picture of Cobalt
posted Hide Post
Mark Leyner wrote a book called "My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist."

and i just finished reading a book by Chip Kidd called "The Cheese Monkeys," which i picked up for the title alone. i mean, you've got cheese AND monkeys! how can you go wrong?

WARNING: the preceding message is not to be taken personally. Keep away from children.

Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo

Posts: 6516 | Location: The Diaspora | Registered: January 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Composer-in-training
Picture of Grand
posted Hide Post
Atlas Shrugged.

Posts: 5530 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ms Density
posted Hide Post
"Polyphilo, or, The dark forest revisited : an erotic epiphany of architecture" by Alberto Pérez-Gómez

Thomas Wolfe

Posts: 18 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
i saw this book in the library when i was a kid:

My Name is Sus5an Smith. The 5 is silent.

title's always stuck in my head. though i never read it for some reason. probably didn't have enough magic or robots in it. Wink

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14204 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
"Love Is A Dog From Hell" -- Charles Bukowski

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aldarion
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to remember here (and I'm probably remembering wrong), but didn't Kinky Friedman take the title of one of his songs, "The Asshole from El Paso" and turn it into a book title?

Even if he didn't that was a very catchy song title Wink

Then there's Umberto Eco's How to Travel with a Salmon, a book I enjoyed greatly.

There are too many Luis Borges book titles to list here, so just about every one of them is memorable, for the title as well as the contents within.

China Miéville's Perdido Street Station was very interesting titlewise, to say the least.

And finally...

Illuminatus!

¿Qué es la vida?: un frenesí.
¿Qué es la vida?: una ilusión,
una sombra, una ficción,
y el mayor bien es pequeño,
que toda la vida es sueño,
y los sueños, sueños son.

Calderón de la Barca, La vida es sueño

Posts: 970 | Location: Still stuck inside of Tennessee, but only for a little while longer | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
Tony White, "CHARLIEUNCLENORFOLKTANGO." I'm going back to buy that one.

Lovecraft, "The Fungi From Yuggoth." and "At the Mountains of Madness."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZoneSeek,

Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lord of Nothings:
"Love Is A Dog From Hell" -- Charles Bukowski

I read Bukowski's "Innocence," apparently a more optimistic take on love. Gave me a great quote, "To see her in sunlight was to see Marxism die." Nice.

JG Ballard:
"Empire of the Sun"
"By Day Fantastic Birds Flew through the Petrified Forest"
"Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan"

Picture of Headlock Knoch
posted Hide Post
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence by Pirsig
The Warhound and the World's Pain by Moorcock

keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole.

Posts: 29 | Location: nasty vile tennis shoe | Registered: May 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post